Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ENCORE LOTR Fellowsihp

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   slh7d

slh7d

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:52 PM

I am not sure if its just Encore,but why do they not play the other two movies in the trilogy? All I see is Fellowship of the ring over and over. Wouldnt mind watching them without commercials.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:24 PM

I am not sure if its just Encore,but why do they not play the other two movies in the trilogy? All I see is Fellowship of the ring over and over. Wouldnt mind watching them without commercials.

Netflix?

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#3 OFFLINE   dogs31

dogs31

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

They just released the Extended Edition on BluRay. Why don't you go out and buy it?

#4 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:26 PM

I've wondered the same thing. Must be some sort of lack of contract preventing from them showing the other two.

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:52 PM

They were on in May and the beginning of June. You could check On Demand to see if they're still there.

#6 OFFLINE   keith_benedict

keith_benedict

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

Did they at least play it in the original aspect ratio? Or was it cropped to eliminate the black bars on top and bottom?

#7 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,603 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:56 PM

Did they at least play it in the original aspect ratio? Or was it cropped to eliminate the black bars on top and bottom?

Ha - what do you think they did. :( :nono2: :nono:

#8 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

They just released the Extended Edition on BluRay. Why don't you go out and buy it?

Because Fellowship got a crappy transfer(green). I'm holding out for a better transfer release.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#9 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:22 PM

Because Fellowship got a crappy transfer(green). I'm holding out for a better transfer release.

Don't hold your breath. I believe Jackson approved those transfers for release.
DTV = Digital Television

#10 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,603 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:58 PM

Nope thats the problem.

Warner released a statement that Jackson & crew approved the new color tint but the speculation is that an error may have been made in the application of it after the fact.

Jackson has been asked specifically about that & he curiously has not yet responded.

If he would just say yes/no it would really help the controversy as his not answering is only fueling the fire.

#11 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:49 AM

I just watched half of Fellowship on a new blu ray. It was spectacular.

The guy who reviews at AVS Forum thinks so, too.

FUD abounds on the internet.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#12 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:51 AM

Ha - what do you think they did. :( :nono2: :nono:

Don't assume anything. When Starz played LOTR, they had a lot of scenes that were (I forget the term...is it...) open matte(?).

I did compares side by side with DVDs (at the time) and the entire width was present but there was more top and bottom.

There were a few that were cropped but far more that the top and bottom were opened.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#13 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,603 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:04 AM

Bluray.com didnt like the green + the darker contrast:

http://www.blu-ray.c...y/19929/#Review

& highdefdigest didnt either:

http://bluray.highde...s_extended.html

& alot of other sites/people didnt either.

People posted i think its photshop readings of some scenes & the green level #s are way higher than it should be.

#14 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

People posted i think its photshop readings of some scenes & the green level #s are way higher than it should be.

Well, the only opinion on what it should or shouldn't look that matters is Peter Jackson. Whether it is right or wrong is in his hands. If that is how he wants it to look, then tough cookies I suppose.
DTV = Digital Television

#15 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:50 AM

Blech. A comparison that says it is "different." Big deal. Nothing days what is right or wrong. I watched it and it is beautiful. Did you watch it or onlylistening to technical wonks?

#16 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,603 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:03 PM

Different ?

In these 3 sentences alone he uses the words:
ashen, overpowered, odd, massive distraction, peculiar, not good.

"Skin tones wear this issue, as well, as there are more than a few moments in the film where characters look ashen due to the way red levels are overpowered by greens, when they aren't excessively affected by lighting, far more than the other films in the set.
The cyan tints are odd, and make some random sky shots a massive distraction with their new peculiar tint, while there are times where actors look like they have spider veins. That's not good."

I have seen it & overall i like the theatrical color better but i do have both cause i like the extended versions better.

& again it isnt clear if thats how Jackson wanted it to look.

#17 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,603 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:13 PM

I dvr'd a showing & it looks cropped compared to the blu.

#18 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

Different ?

In these 3 sentences alone he uses the words:
ashen, overpowered, odd, massive distraction, peculiar, not good.

"Skin tones wear this issue, as well, as there are more than a few moments in the film where characters look ashen due to the way red levels are overpowered by greens, when they aren't excessively affected by lighting, far more than the other films in the set.
The cyan tints are odd, and make some random sky shots a massive distraction with their new peculiar tint, while there are times where actors look like they have spider veins. That's not good."

I have seen it & overall i like the theatrical color better but i do have both cause i like the extended versions better.

& again it isnt clear if thats how Jackson wanted it to look.

And I watched it and think he is full of crap. And this is a movie. Fiction. You cannot compare it to anything because it isn't anything real. Not like you can say a baseball game is realistic looking.

As for theatrical. Don't make me laugh. There is little quality control on movie theaters. Pretty much none actually.

#19 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:32 PM

I dvr'd a showing & it looks cropped compared to the blu.

Okay. I have not. I dont waste my time watching movies on cable I have on Blu ray. I did the comparison with starz. There were scenes that were cropped and others that were open matte.

#20 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:37 PM

Regardless to each their own. I know studio's have re-released new versions of blu-rays in the past when they fubbed transfers. Gladiator was one of those films. It had such a bad transfer that the studio ended up releasing an updated blu-ray with a great transfer. $80 is a lot of money to me and I can wait to see what the studio's do for this release of the movie plus I still have the regular dvd's which up-convert really well surprisingly. Not Blu-Ray quality don't get me wrong but good enough to hold me over.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

spam firewall