Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"Gift" Surprise

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   matthew999

matthew999

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:28 PM

Let us know how you're enjoying your FREE gift. Remember to check your email for other exclusive offers from DIRECTV.

I noticed this same thing as well so what's my gift?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

You'd be surprised how many people arent HD...There are some who have posted in these forums that they "can't tell the difference", or that "until its standard, I'm not paying extra for it"

Cheap, blind bastards....:lol:

Some people don't have unlimited disposable income or really give a $%#$% about HD. But you have no right to degrade them or call them bastards on this system...

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#23 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:26 PM

Cheap, blind bastards....:lol:

I know you are kidding but lets be nice. :)

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,695 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:41 AM

There are. I see people all the time with $1000+ LCD's and Plasma's and what do they have hooked up to them? Analog cable or SD satellite. It really amazes me. There are a still alot of people who think that getting an HDTV will magically give them HD programming. They just don't understand technology.

I read an article a couple months ago that said something like only 19% (not positive about that number) have HD service. I had HD TVs for a couple years before I switched. Don't remember why I bought them.

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,695 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:59 AM

Hey, I resemble that remark. I'm a 60+er who does understand technology and am amazed at how many under 60, and even under 50, don't have a clue. Lots of young people are brought up with all the fancy technology, take it for granted but don't understand any more about it than how to work the remotes.

Me too. Every time a D* tech or installer comes to my home, I end up explaining my rather complicated system to them and watching them play with it. Hard to get rid of them sometimes. All young guys. All look at me and you can see them thinking, "What could he possibly know?" Then leaving and thanking me profusely for sharing "What I couldn't possibly know" with them and giving me all kinds of goodies out of their trucks.

Age is just a chronological thing we can do nothing about, doesn't mean we're not as well informed as the younger folks who will go thru the same thing we are going thru, but don't realize it yet. Not saying that the aging process doesn't kind of suck, but it's a whole lot better than the alternative.

Rich

#26 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:23 AM

I read an article a couple months ago that said something like only 19% (not positive about that number) have HD service. I had HD TVs for a couple years before I switched. Don't remember why I bought them.

Rich

I wouldn't be surprised if this were true. Between 70-80% of American households now have at least one HDTV. That means that ~50-60% of HDTV's are being fed either an analog signal or SD signal. The service providers need to do a better job of selling HD service. The TV manufacturers have done the job of selling the physical product.

'just plug that cable line into the back of the HDTV and it will turn your signal into HD..... magically.'

#27 OFFLINE   Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts
  • LocationTybee Island, GA

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

Only new customers are getting free HD for life. Current customers can get it free for 24 months with auto bill pay.

Can I get $10 off? I have had autobillpay and will continue. Nobody offered it. I was on phone with them today about a billing address issue and nothing. Is this for new HD users or new users period?

Subscriber since Feb 2002
HR22-100, H23-600, HR44-500, c41-700, C41-700, C41-700 
Network using DECA.

#28 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:12 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if this were true. Between 70-80% of American households now have at least one HDTV. That means that ~50-60% of HDTV's are being fed either an analog signal or SD signal. The service providers need to do a better job of selling HD service. The TV manufacturers have done the job of selling the physical product.

'just plug that cable line into the back of the HDTV and it will turn your signal into HD..... magically.'

As a PrimeStar installer my best quote was..." "Hold on there...you don't want to tighten them bolts do you? How will that dish rotate to follow the satellite?"

And then when they got converted to Directv....."damn! If I'da knowd that new dish was so little I'da kept the big one out back."

The old standby = "Searching for Satellite!...daddy, daddy...this man done nailed the satellite to the roof....it is right up there!"

So, as you correctly point out.........'just plug that cable line into the back of the HDTV and it will turn your signal into HD..... magically.' is strange to some but to others....not so strange.

Joe

#29 OFFLINE   Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts
  • LocationTybee Island, GA

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:37 AM

They gave me Showtime for 3 months. Just said it was for being a loyal customer. Probably won't even watch it but it's free.

This is what I got when I asked for my gift. Apparently they will tell you that you have a gift, even when you don't:
We apologize if you received notification of a gift in error. Our team is
working to prevent this from happening again. Rest be assured that I've
forwarded your comments to our DIRECTV's Management Team, who review every
suggestion, inquiry and complaint for trends from our most important customers
to determine what changes should be considered.

Subscriber since Feb 2002
HR22-100, H23-600, HR44-500, c41-700, C41-700, C41-700 
Network using DECA.

#30 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:04 PM

Can I get $10 off? I have had autobillpay and will continue. Nobody offered it. I was on phone with them today about a billing address issue and nothing. Is this for new HD users or new users period?

Yes, if you call in and ask for 24 months of free HD Access for having Auto-Billpay they should be able to add it for you. If not hang up and try again.

They don't just offer everyone these discounts you have to ask for them.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#31 OFFLINE   walker

walker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:48 PM

I have the same "gift" message on my account as well, but the last time it said that and I called to check on it I was told that even though I had been a loyal customer for years with pretty much every package you can have, I didn't pay a few bills on time in the past so that disqualified me from receiving the "gift."
hdmi>hr20-700

#32 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:22 AM

I got just the opposite. I never look at my bill because the amount is always the same (to the penny) month after month. Last month I went to pay my bill and it was $5 cheaper. I looked the bill and found I had $5 off for 3 months. I was never notified.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

Protected By... spam firewall...And...