Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Free CINEMAX

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

Just got my DirecTV bill along with the news flyer and it says there will be a FREE Cinemax trial August 11-14. It's pretty far in advance but it's worth marking your calendar.

I can't ever recall DirecTV having a free CINEMAX trial in the past. Apparently, premium channel subs are at an all-time low thanks to Netflix and other streaming media (which is cheaper than just ONE premium channel).

Now if DirecTV would replace Cinemax West with one of the other Cinemax channels, I might even consider subscribing. (With the proliferation of DVR's, these stupid "east/west coast feeds" showing the same exact stuff 3 hours later is a big waste of bandwidth IMHO)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:52 PM

Just got my DirecTV bill along with the news flyer and it says there will be a FREE Cinemax trial August 11-14. It's pretty far in advance but it's worth marking your calendar.

I can't ever recall DirecTV having a free CINEMAX trial in the past. Apparently, premium channel subs are at an all-time low thanks to Netflix and other streaming media (which is cheaper than just ONE premium channel).

Now if DirecTV would replace Cinemax West with one of the other Cinemax channels, I might even consider subscribing. (With the proliferation of DVR's, these stupid "east/west coast feeds" showing the same exact stuff 3 hours later is a big waste of bandwidth IMHO)

They are adding more Cinemax and HBO this month per the official (confirmed by SR) "other version" of the flier.

http://www.flickr.co...N05/5882711526/

Edited by Coca Cola Kid, 07 July 2011 - 06:05 PM.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#3 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 544 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:02 PM

I think it's much more likely that the free Cinemax is happening in August because of all the recent and upcoming Cinemax additions on DirecTV.

#4 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:21 PM

I think it's much more likely that the free Cinemax is happening in August because of all the recent and upcoming Cinemax additions on DirecTV.

Also it's that weekend because Cinemax is premiering their first ever primetime show Strike Back on August 12.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

#5 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

(With the proliferation of DVR's, these stupid "east/west coast feeds" showing the same exact stuff 3 hours later is a big waste of bandwidth IMHO)

You might find that on the east coast, but here on the west coast I definitly disagree. Besides the fact that only about 50% of DirecTV customers have a DVR, according to a graphic in the Anticipation thread, most people, like me, have ONE DVR, but also 2 other TV's I get HBO on.

It happens plenty of time that I want to watch some scary movie that is about to start on HBO-West at 8 PM, because I didn't notice it in the guide a day ahead of time to record it at 5 PM the next day on HBO-East. I don't generally browse the guide a day ahead of time, I find myself browsing the channels around 7:30-ish to see "whats on at prime time tonight". DVR or not, West-coast time slots I consider very important, here on the West-coast.

You east coast people think too easy about it. We on the west coast always get shafted, and we're lucky that many channels start repeating their prime-time lineup at 11 PM EST so we can actually get it at a decent time.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#6 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,214 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:45 AM

You east coast people think too easy about it. We on the west coast always get shafted, and we're lucky that many channels start repeating their prime-time lineup at 11 PM EST so we can actually get it at a decent time.

I am delighted to live on the West Coast and watch the baseball playoffs and world series and have the games end by 10 pm.

Sunday and Monday night football fall into that category too, except with no LA team there's not much reason to watch pro football here. :D
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#7 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:10 PM

I'm getting Starz free for 3 months. Just enough time to see Torchwood. Since the BBC got greedy and moved it from BBC America to a Premium channel.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#8 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:51 PM

Perhaps, but since I don't subscribe to HD I'll still get the same crummy 3 Cinemax channels which is why I would never subscribe.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#9 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:04 PM

Also it's that weekend because Cinemax is premiering their first ever primetime show Strike Back on August 12.

Cinemax already has "primetime shows :D;)

#10 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:38 AM

Cinemax already has "primetime shows :D;)

No they don't. Max After Dark ("Skinemax") is late night.

DIRECTV customer

#11 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 938 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:06 AM

I am delighted to live on the West Coast and watch the baseball playoffs and world series and have the games end by 10 pm.

Sunday and Monday night football fall into that category too, except with no LA team there's not much reason to watch pro football here. :D

Ditto, and Ditto.. Think your shafted, everyone forgets about the 3rd Time Zone. The Mountain Zone...

spam firewall