Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI ARC ?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:21 AM

Any CEC product will talk to another CEC product regardless of manufacturer.

They may talk, but they don't always listen. Many advanced CEC controls are manufacturer specific, and are only guaranteed to work within the same family. That's why they all have unique names, as a marketing ploy. There's no requirement to be 100% compatible, especially with older models. However, due to customer backlash, later versions are somewhat more compatible with others.

CEC has nothing to do with audio.

CEC needs to be enabled for ARC to work. They share the same wires of the HDMI cable.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:48 AM

They may talk, but they don't always listen. Many advanced CEC controls are manufacturer specific, and are only guaranteed to work within the same family. That's why they all have unique names, as a marketing ploy. There's no requirement to be 100% compatible, especially with older models. However, due to customer backlash, later versions are somewhat more compatible with others.

CEC needs to be enabled for ARC to work. They share the same wires of the HDMI cable.

What, exactly, is CEC?

Rich

#23 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:30 AM

Thanks to an increasingly common technology called Consumer Electronics Control (CEC), your HDTV's remote can manage up to ten devices that are connected via HDMI (such as Blu-ray Disc players or home theater receivers), no special programming needed. So, for example, you can use your remote to turn on your TV, your player, and your receiver at the same time, and adjust the system volume with one button.

http://www.pcworld.c...v_hdmi_cec.html

CEC will simplify hooking components together by using a technique that has been around for some time, known as a handshake. You have been using technology that uses the handshake technique without even knowing it. Computers use the handshake technique all the time to figure out how fast to send / receive information. If you have had the misfortune of answering your voice line when a fax machine calls, that is another (less sophisticated and painful) kind of handshake using DTMF tones. A handshake is just a communication protocol that devices use to inform other devices of its capabilities.

http://www.hdhes.com...e/hdmi_cec.aspx
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#24 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:02 PM

Here's the skinny on the digital output on most tvs:

If you are using the internal tuner(ATSC), then you will get DD out of the output. If you are connecting an external source like and STB, or a BD player, etc...most will not pass the DD audio out the optical port, but will pass Linear PCM...thats the way its been since the beginning. If you are looking for DD sound from an external source, you must run the audio out of the external source to your sound system...

#25 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:57 PM

That could explain something. I'll have:

Dish 5XX >> S-Video & RCA >> TV

HTPC >> HDMI >> TV

DVD HT >> HDMI & Optical >> TV (Unless the ARC works)

Internal TV speakers turned off.

I was hoping to use the TV remote for volume control, but I'm not sure the Optical output is variable. I may have to use the DVD HT remote for volume and set the TV code so I can do channel and source changes. I don't know if the new remote will take the Dish code to control the 5XX box. In the past, any universal or device remote only gave me limited control of the 5XX box. I've been using the Dish remote for most functions, but I'm not sure it will take the Panasonic DVD HT code or how many of the functions it will control.

For that to work, I may need to do: 5XX >> S-video >> TV -and- 5XX >> RCA >> DVD HT

But then, I can't remember the Dish remote code anyways, so I'll have to find it again.

Babbling, I know. More like thinking in keystrokes actually.

Edited by SayWhat?, 10 July 2011 - 12:04 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:28 AM

Here's the skinny on the digital output on most tvs:

If you are using the internal tuner(ATSC), then you will get DD out of the output. If you are connecting an external source like and STB, or a BD player, etc...most will not pass the DD audio out the optical port, but will pass Linear PCM...thats the way its been since the beginning. If you are looking for DD sound from an external source, you must run the audio out of the external source to your sound system...

That's a great explanation, thanx.

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:39 AM

All hooked up and most of it seems to be working. Used the optical cable since I couldn't confirm presence of ARC.

Not sure how to explain what works and what doesn't. I may still have to adjust some settings. There is a difference in volume between sources, so I guess that could be the difference between DD and PCM.

Seems like a lot of the CEC functions are working regarding source switching and audio, but the remotes don't have full control of connected devices. Probably an issue of different manufacturers and CEC versions.

Dish, HTPC, OTA antenna and old VCR are connected to the TV using HDMI or S-Video/RCA where applicable. TV is connected to HTIB with HDMI/Optical.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...