Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wonders of the Universe with Prof Cox

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:53 PM

Just a heads up for those fans of "Wonders of the Solar System" with Professor Brian Cox.
His latest series, "Wonders of the Universe" which has been airing in the UK is finally coming to the US starting July 27th on the Science Channel:

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:55 PM

Looks interestimg, thanks for the heads up.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:05 PM

With, I trust, many minutes cut from the BBC’s domestic version due to insertion of commercials.

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:09 PM

Wont know until it shows up in the guide. The original 1st episode which I watched was 59:02 when it was posted on youtube before the BBC had it removed for copyright infringement. Maybe they will give it an hour and a half.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:14 PM

Wonders of the Solar System was on the Science Channel last year. I hadn't heard of Prof. Cox or the series before but I stumbled onto it one night and it was great. I recorded all of the episodes - maybe half a dozen of them were shown.

I'll certainly watch this new series, too.

In a similar vein, Morgan Freeman's series, Through The Wormhole, is broadcasting its second season right now. More speculative than Wonders of the Solar System, Freeman's series is equally thought provoking.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:18 PM

Wonders of the Solar System was on Sci last year. This is the new series Universe. It hasnt been on in the US yet.
Im DVRing Wormhole as well. Love Morgan's take.

If you want to keep up with what he is doing, between partying and working at the SuperCollider, here is his facebook page:
http://www.facebook....ofessorBrianCox

Edited by Davenlr, 07 July 2011 - 09:30 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:55 PM

Through the Wormhole is one of the most fascinating and thought provoking shows I have ever seen.

I watched Wonders of the Solar System and it was okay, but not nearly as intriguing, and Prof. Cox kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Still I might give this new show a shot. How many episodes are there?

#8 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

Through the Wormhole is one of the most fascinating and thought provoking shows I have ever seen.

I watched Wonders of the Solar System and it was okay, but not nearly as intriguing, and Prof. Cox kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Still I might give this new show a shot. How many episodes are there?

Believe there will be four episodes. Also, if memory serves, Science Channel presentations of Wonders of the Solar System each lasted an hour and, therefore, were truncated versions of programs earlier shown to British audiences without commercial interruption.

spam firewall