Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Seagate EHDs & Max EHD Size

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ggulch

ggulch

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:47 AM

I've been digging around in the 622 threads, and called Dish's so-called Tech Support twice looking for a recent, definitive answer regarding the max EHD size the 622 will address. I'm seeing 2 TB drives for just a few dollars moire than 1 TB units so it's a no-brainer, IF the DVR will address or see a 2 TB EHD.

Two calls to Dish yielded different answers, and both CSRs took some time to answer a (probably commonly asked) question that I think they should be able to answer off the top of their heads.

Newegg has Seagate Expansion series 2 TB drives for $80. Anyone have experience using these? I seem to recall that when Dish first turned on the EHD functionality the Seagates were problematic. Is that still the case? If so, what brands/models seem to be working well? I've been using a couple of Maxtor 750s and a 500 for some time, but we want more capacity.

TIA,
Ron

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

2TB is the max size. You have to disable sleep mode while attached to a PC before using with the DVR. Most folks like the Western Digital drives. No troublesome sleep mode like Seagate.

#3 OFFLINE   gokartergo

gokartergo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:55 PM

Yep..2 tb max for the 622,722 and 722k.. But 1 tb for the 211, and 211k

Edited by gokartergo, 08 July 2011 - 06:43 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

And it's a shame too that it still tops out at 2TB - Single drive 3TB USB-3/2 WD My-Books are going for $129 at Costco and at Amazon...

spam firewall