Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

UHF Remote issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   swallman

swallman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:29 PM

Ever since we upgraded to HD last fall, our UHF remotes don't work worth a damn on our 722k. We have 3 different remotes (older ones and a new one), and sometimes they work flawlessly, then an hour or 2 later they won't hardly work at all (unless you're standing about 6 feet from the receiver).

We never had these issues with our old 522 receiver. I've made sure batteries are fresh, tried a longer piece of coax (to get the antenna up higher), etc.

Looking for suggestions and help! It has gotten so frustrating that my wife is ready to throw the remotes across the room.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

What kind of TV do you have?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#3 OFFLINE   swallman

swallman

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:56 PM

What kind of TV do you have?

TV1 is connected to a Samsung 40" LCD (new last fall as well).

TV2 is split to 3 misc. TV's (old 13" CRT in kitchen, 32" CRT in Bedroom, 25" CRT in studio)

#4 OFFLINE   fmcomputer

fmcomputer

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts
  • LocationYpungstown. Ohio

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:57 PM

Had the same problem - upgraded from 722 to 722K ( do to HD failure ) the UHF remotes all worked with the 722, but not with the 722K. The installer rigged up a backfeed system, and placed another antenna upstairs and everything works. 722K must have a problem.

#5 OFFLINE   MadScientist

MadScientist

Godfather

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

I just had to buy a new remote from Dish just last week for the same type of problem

#6 OFFLINE   jamelar

jamelar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:06 PM

I suddenly ran into a similar problem when I got an HD set, moved the receiver temporailly while rewiring my media rack. In another thread, it was said there is an issue when using an HDMI cable, the RF remote receive became less sensitive for some reason. I replaced the little supplied RF antenna with a rabbit ear antenna I had, the type you can get at Big Lots, General Dollar, etc for $3-5, solved the problem.

#7 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:04 PM

The old silver UHF remotes that I used with my 522 had a much better range (even on the same channels) than the new black remote and they still work with the 722K. The only difference is that the old remotes don't have the red, green, yellow and blue buttons on them (but I don't think they have any function yet). You can still buy the old remotes on eBay.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#8 OFFLINE   swallman

swallman

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

Well, I think I figured out why it's happening - appears that whenever our HD set is on, it is somehow affecting the signal of the UHF remote (to the point where even standing a few feet from the receiver it wouldn't work correctly). Guess, I need to look into some of the possible solutions (maybe I have an old bowtie antenna laying in the basement yet).

#9 OFFLINE   golfpoor

golfpoor

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSouth GA

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:54 PM

I connected a 4 ft piece of RG6 to the receiver and put the antenna on the opposite end, connected it to the top of the TV table with a clothes pin. Now, using my normal sitting position (of course), it works great. If you do not like that idea, move your receiver to different locations (up, down, left ,or right). I just found it easier to move the RF ant around to find a sweet spot. You might need to add an attenuator to quell interference.;)

golfpoor

Protected By... spam firewall...And...