Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

why can't we have a FULL TIME FSN Wisconsin on Directv?

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:17 PM

Where I live I can't get the Twins.. and we know that.. however, We also don't get a full time FSN Wisconsin.. and its time that we do.. why? ratings speak for themselves..

http://www.jsonline..../125355128.html

the Brewers have some of the best ratings in Baseball and would be even higher if we got all the Brewer shows.. all we get are the TWINS shows which , we have established, are blacked out..

give us a full SPORTS CHANNEL like cable does.. or GIVE US BOTH and let us choose which one to watch.. can you imagine living in Milwaukee, and having to not see the Brewers replays and other shows because THE TWINS ARE PLAYING, because D* won't pony up for a separate channel? no wonder D* isn't selling in the Milwaukee area.. why would you buy it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:19 PM

Where I live I can't get the Twins.. and we know that.. however, We also don't get a full time FSN Wisconsin.. and its time that we do.. why? ratings speak for themselves..

http://www.jsonline..../125355128.html

the Brewers have some of the best ratings in Baseball and would be even higher if we got all the Brewer shows.. all we get are the TWINS shows which , we have established, are blacked out..

give us a full SPORTS CHANNEL like cable does.. or GIVE US BOTH and let us choose which one to watch.. can you imagine living in Milwaukee, and having to not see the Brewers replays and other shows because THE TWINS ARE PLAYING, because D* won't pony up for a separate channel? no wonder D* isn't selling in the Milwaukee area.. why would you buy it?

Do you have any facts on DirecTV's subscriber numbers in the Brewers marker or are you whining? I doubt the lack of replays or shows means a heck of a lot. DISH Network would be in a worse situation because you never know if a game will be in HD or not.

#3 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

maybe you should live in our market to truly discuss it.. or the lack of market.. basically we don't get a channel.. because the twins are always blacked out.. including the daytime shows.. and the Brewers are on the secondary channel..669..

#4 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:39 PM

even where I live, Charter Cable has the FSN WISCONSIN channel. full time.. and the Brewers day time stuff.. and I live 200 miles from Milwaukee.. why would anyone from Milwaukee say that D* is a deal with no FSN Wisconsin.. ?

#5 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:55 AM

Is the standard def feed of FSN Wisconsin full time?

#6 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:27 AM

no.. we just get 669 for the actual game itsself.. other then that, about 75% no channel for either 668 or 669 due to black outs..

#7 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:44 AM

Across the Missisloppi River from you, bjlc (we are in the same DMA although I'm in Minnesota and he's in Wisconsin), Fox North Ch. 668 is the full time RSN. I would take it you still don't have that channel?

Just like you, for me, Fox Sports North Wisconsin Ch. 669-1 is blacked out for everything but a specific sporting event. For example, since Sunday the next program on 669 is the Brewers-Rockies game on Thursday.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#8 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:51 AM

maybe you should live in our market to truly discuss it.. or the lack of market.. basically we don't get a channel.. because the twins are always blacked out.. including the daytime shows.. and the Brewers are on the secondary channel..669..

I tried to discuss your contention that DirecTV is not doing well in Milwaukee. What is your basis for that? Unless you have numbers, you are whining. I know you get FSN North with the exception of Twins games and shows.

Edited by adkinsjm, 12 July 2011 - 10:38 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:48 AM

Fox Sports Wisconsin is a sub-region of Fox Sports North. Most sub-regions are only carried part-time on satellite, due to bandwidth. The only exception I know of is Fox Sports Cincinnati, which is on full-time for legacy reasons (dating back to the SportsChannel days). There are numerous sub-regions in the country, including FS Carolinas, FS Tennessee, FS Indiana, FS Kansas City, FS Oklahoma, Root Sports Utah, MSG Buffalo, and one or two others I'm not thinking of at the moment. The situation is the same in all of these markets. The sub-region RSN does exist full time in each case, and yes, the full time version does include both live telecasts and replays of the local teams, whereas the part-time version carried on satellite generally has only live games. DirecTV is not willing to allocate the full bandwidth for every sub-region, so they instead contract to carry sub-regions on a part-time basis. If they were to start carrying FS Wisconsin full-time, they would have to treat all of the other sub-regions the same way, and they won't allocate that much bandwidth (especially when, for the most part, all you're missing is game replays, since the rest of the sub-region programming is identical to that of the primary RSN).

If you really need Fox Sports Wisconsin full-time, you'll need to subscribe to cable. This will likely never change.

#10 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:58 AM

there is no programming on 669 at all until the next Brewer game.. and as for JIM, if you have a personal problem with me.. write the monitors, instead of taking a swipe at me with each post..

since all D* is the same.. if you lived in Milwaukee, you still would be getting 668 and only 25% of the time due to the Twins broadcast and rebroadcast.. and yet, if you read my post.. the Brewers are one of the highest rated teams in MLB.. meaning that they are probably doing better then the Twins on a rebroadcast game as well.

and since I am paying the same as you for my local sports channel, I should get a whole sports channel and not just 25% of it at the time.. there is a FSN WISCONSIN.. D* needs to put it on for us..

#11 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:07 AM

well lets see.. I am from Milwaukee, My folks live in Milwaukee, the newspaper I read is the Journal Sentinal from Milwaukee.. I travel to and from Milwaukee various times of the year.. including like 4 trips since Christmas.. My Folks have Directv at their summer home.. and I stay on a pulse of what happens tv wise , comings and goings in Milwaukee and in the midwest in general due to that at one time or another both my wife and my self worked in either the print or radio media.. for decades.. I think that I have some qualifications. I have connections to both my local newspaper and the JOURNAL.. meaning that I personally know reporters there ,, however there is a mass turnover at the Tribune, due to buy outs, so my numbers there have dropped in the past month or so.. I am in contact with the local Brewer radio station.. I mean close contact.. and I worked with the Brewers to get a local tv station before FSN Wisconsin was even formed.. to the point of getting reembursed from Laurel Priep, the Brewers Vice President and married to Bud Seligs daughter ...

do I need to continue..?

#12 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:22 AM

It has been discussed. Fox Sports Wisconsin is a sub-region of Fox Sports North and only carried part time by satellite. That's not going to change any time soon so accept it. Life's full of disappointments.

Edited by Tom Robertson, 12 July 2011 - 01:54 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#13 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:41 AM

There are 24 hours in a day. With games and replays, you might miss 7-8 hours of FS North per day, but get 3 hours back with Brewers games on FS Wisconsin.

What are DirecTV sales numbers in Wisconsin, since bjic wrote the company isn't selling well?

#14 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:24 AM

not trying to pick a fight with you, but your market is very likely too small, and there aren't enough programming options outside of baseball on FSN Wisconsin to have Directv justify passing the costs along to its national subscriber base.

Case in point. The Houston metro area is bigger than the entire state of Wisconsin from a population standpoint. Fox Sports Houston is home to the Rockets, the Astros, Houston's MLS team, and a variety of CUSA College sports events. On top of that - there are no black outs anywhere in the state for Tx MLB teams - you can watch rangers or astros live even if you are in El Paso - 900 miles away. It was at one point a sub-feed but given the size of the market, how much texans love their teams, and its programming contracts to support college and prosports in one of the biggest cities in the country - Fox turned it into a stand alone channel.

So Houston has the popupulation, it's a stand alone channel with statewide draw, FSN Houston has the programming options to justify full time carriage, and still its not a full time channel on D*- we get Fox Sports Southwest out of Dallas instead. This is because of bandwidth concerns. I would argue that Fox Sports Houston is a much more compelling channel with national reach than FS Wisconsin, and if Houston can't get the love - what makes you think Wisconsin is any more deserving?

Edited by tulanejosh, 12 July 2011 - 11:35 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:45 PM

not trying to pick a fight with you, but your market is very likely too small, and there aren't enough programming options outside of baseball on FSN Wisconsin to have Directv justify passing the costs along to its national subscriber base.

FS Wisconsin has Milwaukee Bucks too, as well as Wisconsin college and high school games/shows that aren't aired on FS North.

Edited by Coca Cola Kid, 12 July 2011 - 01:52 PM.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#16 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:58 PM

Case in point. The Houston metro area is bigger than the entire state of Wisconsin from a population standpoint. Fox Sports Houston is home to the Rockets, the Astros, Houston's MLS team, and a variety of CUSA College sports events. On top of that - there are no black outs anywhere in the state for Tx MLB teams - you can watch rangers or astros live even if you are in El Paso - 900 miles away. It was at one point a sub-feed but given the size of the market, how much texans love their teams, and its programming contracts to support college and prosports in one of the biggest cities in the country - Fox turned it into a stand alone channel.

So Houston has the popupulation, it's a stand alone channel with statewide draw, FSN Houston has the programming options to justify full time carriage, and still its not a full time channel on D*- we get Fox Sports Southwest out of Dallas instead. This is because of bandwidth concerns. I would argue that Fox Sports Houston is a much more compelling channel with national reach than FS Wisconsin, and if Houston can't get the love - what makes you think Wisconsin is any more deserving?

I personally would say because of the Packers but I'd be lying since FSN-WI doesn't carry any Packer stuff. (Da bums.) :)

Another part of the equation, which does not take away from your fine example is who is willing to negotiate what channels with DIRECTV. Sometimes, some of the channel owners won't let DIRECTV carry them unless forced by the FCC...

Anyways, it do get all complex.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#17 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:17 PM

Members are allowed to voice their concerns or rant or vent, from time to time, about DBS topics. And without being insulted by other members.

Posts that do not add to the conversation (or otherwise insult the OP) have been removed. Please play nice.

Thanks,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#18 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

FS Wisconsin has Milwaukee Bucks too, as well as Wisconsin college and high school games/shows that aren't aired on FS North.

Look i don't live in Houston, and don't really care about Houston sports, so don't want to be accused of being a homer here... But the example is of a massive market that is also getting the shaft on not having its sports channel be carried full time. My point - regardless of whether the Bucks are on the channel or not - is that if and when D* starts carrying sub channels full time, FSWI is going to be probably far down the list.

Its not just D* screwing the OP, its a variety of things - small market, bandwidth concerns, sales saturation issues, national appeal outside of WI heck... outside of milwaukee... (iifc, WI is a divided state in terms of sports allegiances - some go for Chicago sports, some for milwaukee sports, some for Minnesota sports..)

It would be nice if we could all have what we wanted..> personally - i'd like a special night with Marissa Miller and Brooklyn Decker, but not realistically ever expecting that.

#19 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

actually Tom, I believe that FSN Wisconsin does have some Packer stuff.

as for "market".. if you don't have ratings, it doesn't matter what size your market is.. right now, Wisconsin and the Brewers have some of the highest tv ratings around.. as shown in my post frm the JSONLINE page. so while you might have a big city.. it doesn't mean you have a big draw.. the Brewers are far above Atlanta for attendance the last time I looked, and are going to draw 3 million fans.. they have already sold over 2 million tickets.. and Miller Park only holds 45,000 fans,and that number may be high, unlike old county stadium which held 53,000 fans.. so while the team may sell out, they can't get too big, because they potentially lose 8 to 10 thousand fans per game.. especially say in September.. where you could draw big numbers for every game..

so no market size isn't the same as market ratings. if you have big ratings.. YOU want to take care of that market..

#20 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:48 PM

all due respect, i think you misunderstand what a rating is, what it means, and what it signifies.

Take a look at this story. Basketball - i know its a different sport - but it proves my point. While the Spurs had the best ratings by far, they didn't have the biggest audience - as you would expect clubs from big markets did. Utah is even a more striking example.

http://www.sportsbus...SN-ratings.aspx

What ratings mean is highly specific to that local regional market and its population size. Proportionally - it means more people in the Brewers area are watching brewers baseball than they are in say Atlanta. But just because the brewers are getting better ratings, it doesn't mean that they actually have more people watching their games than Atlanta does.

And in that sense, yes, market size absolutely matters, especially when D* has to ration out bandwidth. Brewers can have a 25 on the ratings, but if that only means there's 100,000 homes watching while a 5 rating in atlanta gets them 300,000 homes... they're going to focus on the real number and not the ratio.

You can have sky high ratings all you want but milwaukee will never have the same viewership potential as some of these larger markets that actually get full channels. And Milwaukee is much smaller than other cities that don't get them either and so will never get prioritized. I'm not picking on milwaukee, im sure its a fine place, and glad you all love your team. I wish you had the channel you want, i really do.

Edited by tulanejosh, 12 July 2011 - 06:56 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...