Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sherwood Schwartz dead at 94

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,112 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:31 AM

On July 12, 2011, Sherwood Schwartz died peacefully in his sleep of natural causes. He was surrounded by his family. He is survived by his wife of 69 years, Mildred Schwartz, and four children Don Schwartz, Lloyd J. Schwartz, Ross Schwartz and Hope Juber.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:38 AM

He was the writer, creator and producer of "Gilligen's Island", "The Brady Bunch" and "My Favorite Martian"......RIP Sherwood.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:55 AM

He's gone from sin into syndication.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#4 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

As a kid growing up, thanks for the fun TV shows……!

RIP

#5 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:04 AM

I know many many people grew up watching The Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island in reruns....that was a good part of my childhood.

#6 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:12 AM

You make me feel old. I remember Gilligan's Island on its first run.

I'll show you how low class I am. I remember being bummed out when it was canceled.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#7 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,112 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:48 PM

Sherwood Schwartz, who created “Gilligan’s Island” and “The Brady Bunch,” two of the most affectionately ridiculed and enduring television sitcoms of the 1960s and ’70s, died on Tuesday in Los Angeles. He was 94.
Enlarge This Image

Nick Ut/Associated Press
Sherwood Schwartz with Florence Henderson, left, and Dawn Wells, stars of “The Brady Bunch” and “Gilligan’s Island,” in 2008.
Blog

ArtsBeat
The latest on the arts, coverage of live events, critical reviews, multimedia extravaganzas and much more. Join the discussion.
More Arts News
His death was announced by the Archive of American Television.

Mr. Schwartz weathered painfully dismissive reviews to see his shows prosper and live on for decades in syndication. Many critics suggested that they were successful because they ran counter to the tumultuous times in which they appeared: the era of the Vietnam War and sweeping social change.

Give or take a month or so, the original network run of “The Brady Bunch” coincided with two major upheavals in American society. The show, about a squeaky-clean blended family in California, began in 1969, shortly after Woodstock, and ended in 1974, soon after President Richard M. Nixon’s resignation following the Watergate scandal.

Mr. Schwartz’s work may have been seen as lighthearted entertainment, but some scholars of popular culture took it very seriously. David Marc and Robert J. Thompson, authors of “Prime Time, Prime Movers,” in which they advance an auteur theory of television, considered Mr. Schwartz an innovator who made a “surgical strike into the national psyche.”

Describing the advent of “Gilligan’s Island,” which told the story of seven very different castaways stranded on a desert island, they wrote, “Schwartz was pioneering a dramatic matrix built upon the emerging cultural concept of the ‘support group’: a collection of demographically diverse characters thrown together by circumstance and forced to become an ersatz ‘family’ in order to survive.”

Mr. Schwartz, in a 1996 interview, said that he had always planned the series as a social statement, the message being, “It’s one world, and we all have to learn to live with each other.”

Once or twice a year, he added, he received word of an academic paper whose author claimed to have uncovered the “real meaning” of the series, also stating that its creator probably had no idea what he was really saying.

Not so. Mr. Schwartz remembered describing the idea of “Gilligan’s Island” to William S. Paley, then chairman of CBS, as a microcosm. Mr. Paley, he recalled, blanched and replied, “Oh, God, I thought it was a comedy show,” to which Mr. Schwartz quickly answered, “But it’s a funny microcosm!”

Article

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

spam firewall