Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Spam call from DirecTV... how to opt-out?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:05 PM

So, this morning I got a call on my mobile from 1800-531-5000. I didn't bother answering, but Google Voice was kind enough to translate the voicemail for me:

+18005315000
7/12/11 7:10 AM 12 hours ago
Hello, this is John Goodman. I'm calling to tell you about the season premiere of the Emmy award winning show damages, starting Glenn Close, rosebird And me tune in tomorrow night at 10 PM on channel 239, hey, it's always about show on television. And it's only on Direct T. V.

Now, I haven't changed any marketing preferences, and I don't see any place to opt-out of these phone calls (this one came at 7:10 this morning, as noted). I was not happy for the early call, even though I was already en route to work. Is there a way to opt-out of this junk?
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:09 PM

I'm so tired of all this Damages promotion. I will not watch it now just cause of all this in your face cross promotion on the directive platform
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:14 PM

Change your contact phone number on your account to 1-212-479-7990

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,948 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:01 PM

I can't believe I just hung up on John Goodman :)

#5 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:45 AM

Why would you give a corporation your cell phone number?

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:08 AM

Why would you give a corporation your cell phone number?

Someone without a land line and only a cell?

#7 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 544 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:54 AM

I'm so tired of all this Damages promotion. I will not watch it now just cause of all this in your face cross promotion on the directive platform

OK, I know that felt good to type, but are you really going to watch or not watch a program because of to much or to little promotion?

#8 OFFLINE   Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:13 AM

So, this morning I got a call on my mobile from 1800-531-5000. I didn't bother answering, but Google Voice was kind enough to translate the voicemail for me:

Now, I haven't changed any marketing preferences, and I don't see any place to opt-out of these phone calls (this one came at 7:10 this morning, as noted). I was not happy for the early call, even though I was already en route to work. Is there a way to opt-out of this junk?

Call customer service and have your privacy settings updated to remove yourself from promotional calling.
GO BUCKS
Respect the sweater-vest

#9 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:40 AM

Got that call yesterday and sent an e-mail asking to opt out. I'm sure most people don't want to get phone ads.

#10 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:57 AM

Got that call yesterday and sent an e-mail asking to opt out. I'm sure most people don't want to get phone ads.

Also got the call yesterday and also called to opt out. But then I've called before to opt out of surveys, promotions, deals, etc. and they still continue. It's bad enough that we have to endure advertising everywhere, including in the guide and TV mail, but I can put up with that annoyance as it is my choice to watch the TV. When I am doing something else at home and they interrupt with an advertising phone call I get pissed and tell them so. When that call is a recorded message and I can't tell them then I get doubly pissed. I am on the do not call list because I don't want such calls especially when they interrupt something else.

It really makes me wish that I could call John Goodman and interrupt his day with some trivial information.
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

spam firewall