Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Quitting

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jameskelly

jameskelly

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:13 AM

I am thinking of dumping DTV after 15 years. Talk me out of it! I was reviewing the Time Warner channel lineup, and they have quite a number of channels in HD which DTV does not. And it's about $15.00 less a month, than what I am paying now. (Incl. HBO) I was reading Swanni's web site. He is right about them. They BS all the time about the most HD channels. Most of the news ones they claim to add, is either on PPV, or premium stations.

Perplexed

JJK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:27 AM

It doesn't matter what Swammi, DirecTV, or this forum says about the number of HD channels. The only number that matters is who has the largest number of channels that you watch. If you cable company wins in that area, and is cheaper (without promotions that go away), it makes sense to consider them.

Make sure you won't be losing HD channels that you do watch.
Make sure you have all of the costs accounted for.
Check out their DVR to make sure it has the capacity and features you need.
Take into account any promotional rates and commitment times.
Make the best decision for your situation.
Suspend you DirecTV service in case things an't like you thought they were.
DogLover

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:30 AM

I am thinking of dumping DTV after 15 years. Talk me out of it! I was reviewing the Time Warner channel lineup, and they have quite a number of channels in HD which DTV does not. And it's about $15.00 less a month, than what I am paying now. (Incl. HBO) I was reading Swanni's web site. He is right about them. They BS all the time about the most HD channels. Most of the news ones they claim to add, is either on PPV, or premium stations.

Perplexed

JJK

Why do you need to be talked out of it. Simply determine which provider better meets your needs for price, programming and equipment and make the decision.

D* works best for me because of the sports and equipment, others may have different needs or wants.

And as doglover said, if you are not sure, simply suspend your D* service for a period and try time warner out to see if it meets your needs.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#4 OFFLINE   admdata

admdata

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:31 AM

It doesn't matter what Swammi, DirecTV, or this forum says about the number of HD channels. The only number that matters is who has the largest number of channels that you watch. If you cable company wins in that area, and is cheaper (without promotions that go away), it makes sense to consider them.

+1

As Doglover said, make the best choice for you, if that is with cable go for it, all tv is mostly the same the only difference is the fact of the channels that you watch the most, for me (when I can afford to get tv back) Directv will be my choice, I like the tech and the channel choices, cable here is to $$$$ and I can't stand dish's equipment fees they nickel and dime you to death.
Account closed by Directv on 7/7/2011
All leased equipment returned

On 7/8/2011 Directv charges me for 2 receivers one DVR at ($175.00) and a Standard STB for ($45.00), good grief!!

Note: Directv did reverse the equipment charges

#5 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:11 AM

Yes, do what's best. Just make sure you're not confusing a "teaser" rate with the rate you'll be paying in the long term. Cable companies can be easy to cancel, as most of them don't have hardware commitments, but coming back to DIRECTV after 6 months doesn't make you a new customer, meaning that there could be upfront fees to get the hardware you used to have.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

Cable varies widely from place to place, where satellite is pretty much the same nation wide. As a result, you cannot make generalized statements about who has more or less HD. That also applies to the picture quality with cable - much variation from system to system.

I agree, suspend your DirecTV account and try cable for a while. If you find it acceptable, then you can close your DirecTV account. If you find cable lacking for any reason (equipment, picture quality, etc.), it is easy to un-suspend DirecTV and be back where you started.

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:23 AM

I tried a Cablevision HD DVR a couple months ago. What a POS! I mean that quite literally. I was embarrassed to have it in my home.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:26 AM

I stick with Directv for the DVR's. Comcast is my phone/internet provider but I can't stand their guide and UI. Besides, after 2 years, I now have 3 dvr's and 2 HD receivers. I wonder what that would cost me with Comcast per month
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#9 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:28 AM

I know what you're saying about Comcast. I just visited relatives who use those Comcast/Motorola DVRs and they are really kludgy.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:42 AM

Here’s a checklist to use:

• Are the channels you watch in HD?
  • Is their HD quality as good as DIRECTV or better?
  • Are you really saving money in the long run?
  • Are you getting all the features you’ll actually use?
If you answer yes to all four, go for it….! Make the change.

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,899 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:25 AM

As the others have said, cable is different in different parts of the country. Around here, the normal HD DVR can only handle 25 hours of HD, and the quality isn't as good as DirecTV.

If you do make the switch, suspend your DirecTV account and don't cancel immediately. It's much easier and cheaper to come back. And DirecTV doesn't claim to add Premiums in HD, it's really added. It may not mean much to you (it doesn't to me), but when someone is paying $14 a month for HBO, adding more in HD is greatly appreciated.

Also, of the number of HD channels that TWC offers that DirecTV doesn't, I'm curious on how many you think you might watch?

#12 OFFLINE   Directvlover

Directvlover

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

Perplexed

JJK

I would say be careful as most likely their equipment will suck. Locally here in Omaha Cox has about the same or equal HD offerings, but when i switched to try it out I found out very soon that their DVR's suck! They don't network with each other, the drive space is very small and is not expandable even though their is an External SATA port on the back. After 30 days I dropped them and turned my Directv back on. NEVER AGAIN will i make that mistake.

#13 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 852 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:14 PM

I did just the opposite for my mother -- went from cable to D*. She was on Comcast & her bill was $200! She had 2 TV's with HD receivers & I think 1 HDDVR, 1 SDDVR, & 1 SD receiver. I believe the fees for HD & DVR service plus the equipment were $100 by themselves! Of course, it probably doesn't cost $200 up front to add an HDDVR but still. I don't know how anyone with Comcast can afford it if they have more than 2 TV's.

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

Yes, do what's best. Just make sure you're not confusing a "teaser" rate with the rate you'll be paying in the long term.

By the same token, one must be careful about being swayed by similarly temporary credits (or free stuff that you don't need) that DIRECTV will likely offer to keep your business.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#15 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

Perplexed

JJK

James,

I'd be happy to try to talk you out of it. Yet this is your decision.

I'm happy with DIRECTV. I want more HD channels and more are definitely coming. That said, I suspect more are coming to all the MSOs.

As everyone has chimed in, check all the things you can compare: the channels you will get, the channels you will lose, the DVR fees (with comcast here, I'd be spending another $100 per month just on DVRs that are smaller), the HD fees, etc.

One suggestion is to suspend DIRECTV for a few months while you test time warner. You might decide you want to switch back and this would be the easiest way to switch back.

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#16 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

Here is the article I think he read. Swanni claims DTV doesn't care about adding anymore HD channels because of the licensing fees.

http://www.tvpredict...dcare071211.htm

#17 OFFLINE   whalerfan

whalerfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

Yes, do what's best. Just make sure you're not confusing a "teaser" rate with the rate you'll be paying in the long term. Cable companies can be easy to cancel, as most of them don't have hardware commitments, but coming back to DIRECTV after 6 months doesn't make you a new customer, meaning that there could be upfront fees to get the hardware you used to have.

Not so certain about this one. Last year after 9 years, I left Directv for Dish network. I gave D* ample opportunity to keep me, even calling them both the day before and morning of the day of installation. They refused to budge. Then I was rudely given the heave ho! Not even a week later and to this day I receive letters asking me to come back and get the best offer for new customers.

#18 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,420 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:12 PM

As the others have said, cable is different in different parts of the country. . . . .

Wouldn't cable quality be a common issue in the congested Big City - NYC? For quality, I would think FiOS would be your leader in the Big Apple.

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR:HR34-7, Dn:HR24-1, MB:HR24-5, Bm:HR21-2, Kt:H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV '00

#19 OFFLINE   VLaslow

VLaslow

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

In the spirit of the OP's request, check out TW's price increases over the last 5 years for all of their services. Extrapolate how long it will take to become even with DTV. Decide if it's worth it.

#20 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:01 PM

Cable in my area has terrible PQ and hardware and is much more expensive than sat after the teaser rates expire. If money is your main concern, go ahead and cancel. A few weeks later you'll get tons of offers to come back, at which time you can get around a $500 savings over 2 years.

spam firewall