Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Quitting

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   MurphieNB

MurphieNB

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSalado, TX

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:52 PM

I travel a lot to one city for work, and maintain an apartment there as an alternative to staying in a motel. I have DirecTV at home, but can only get TWC at the apartment. From my experience, I'd never recommend TWC. Picture quality is ok, but their equipment is just so-so. They almost never upgrade the software; I've only one upgrade in two years, and that just made things worse. The DVR interface is klunky, the remote is awkward, their on-line programming has been in BETA for more than a year, you can't select favorites, etc.

To me there is no one better than DirecTV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,482 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:41 PM

Wouldn't cable quality be a common issue in the congested Big City - NYC? For quality, I would think FiOS would be your leader in the Big Apple.

I have no idea, though I guess it's possible for things to be different in Queens vs Long Island. Different parts of the city could have different equipment, does number of customers affect the quality like it does Internet etc.

But it certainly seems like TWC in one city is different from another. I believe I've seen HD channels offered in one market that aren't in another (not locals.)

#23 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:11 PM

Wouldn't cable quality be a common issue in the congested Big City - NYC? For quality, I would think FiOS would be your leader in the Big Apple.

Takes a long time to run fiber optic cable. Longer in the City, I'd imagine. Longer in Manhattan, anyway.

Rich

#24 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:21 AM

Quit.

#25 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

Best of luck with your new service provider.

:)
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#26 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

One suggestion is to suspend DIRECTV for a few months while you test time warner. You might decide you want to switch back and this would be the easiest way to switch back.

Indeed, Tom!

As you know, I recently bought a new home and it just so happens to be in a FiOS area.

After "running the numbers", changing from a Cable Internet+Phone & DirecTV bundle to a FiOS bundle will save me $100/month for very similar services (as far as channels, # of DVRs, etc.)

That was a few weeks ago, and I did exactly as you mentioned - I suspended my DirecTV account, because after a dozen+ years, I still LOVE DirecTV and think it's the best TV service in the business.

... and I still do.

The FiOS DVR is oodles better than anything Cablevision has, but I still think DirecTV's DVR+ is a better DVR. DirecTV's box is slower (even the HR24 series), but much more functional and a whole lot easier to use.

My big issue so far has been with FiOS customer service. It's awful! I mean, awful, awful, AWFUL!

If it weren't for the $1200/year savings (and, the bigger mortgage payment on the other side to balance it out!) I'd already be on the phone with the DirecTV Movers' Connection program.

It's still very possible. I'm going to give them about another week to sort out the rest of my issues before I tell FiOS to go scratch.

But anyway, this thread isn't about me, it's about James Kelly.

My point is that equal isn't always equal. Numbers are just numbers; as Mark Twain said, "lies, damned lies, and statistics." It's all about the EXPERIENCE, and even when you have a "premier" product like FiOS, if they bungle the install, the experience can be less than stellar. If it's a second-tier provider (like I consider T-W Cable), it can be even worse. Or, you can be happy with it.

My $0.02 - if you've got DirecTV, you're used to the best-of-the-best.

As the old commercial used to say, "Anything else would be uncivilized" ... that can even include FiOS.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...