Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can I just say? I'm glad News Corp. is no longer involved with DIRECTV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:50 AM

Hearing that News Corp is in bad shape amid scandal, I'm glad that DIRECTV is no longer associated with them.

CNN.com

"This raises serious questions about whether the company has broken U.S. law, and I encourage the appropriate agencies to investigate to ensure that Americans have not had their privacy violated," he said. "I am concerned that the admitted phone hacking in London by the News Corp. may have extended to 9/11 victims or other Americans. If they did, the consequences will be severe."

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:04 AM

My thoughts exactly.
What a travisty!

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#3 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:09 AM

And just as glad for the folks in the UK who were looking to have another News Corp-owned satellite service.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:42 AM

But they were great while they were here.

By hacking into Stuart's phone, I found out his wife calls him Bunny-Honey.

Posted Image

;) :P
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#5 OFFLINE   ICM2000

ICM2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:00 AM

How is this post any different than the numerous political threads that are banned? Your post is out of line because using a CNN report about News Corp is very prejudicial.

#6 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:11 AM

... using a CNN report about News Corp is very prejudicial.

OK here's one from the UK: http://www.telegraph...-sue-in-US.html
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:27 AM

Were they "connected" to DTV when the "events" transpired??

#8 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:30 AM

How is this post any different than the numerous political threads that are banned? Your post is out of line because using a CNN report about News Corp is very prejudicial.

Do you have a link to the Fox News story on this? I am having a hard time finding it. Must be buried deep.
It's only tv!

#9 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:42 AM

Do you have a link to the Fox News story on this? I am having a hard time finding it. Must be buried deep.

!rolling
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   ICM2000

ICM2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:47 AM

One of many ----

http://www.foxnews.c...ament-in-phone/

#11 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:51 AM

Thats what I thought to.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#12 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:06 AM

One of many ----

http://www.foxnews.c...ament-in-phone/

Thanks, that proves that this story is non-partisan.
It's only tv!

#13 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

Just because a politician is part of the story doesn't make this thread political. The politicians were part of the group that were hacked.

Just because politicians are looking into the story (since they were some of the ones hacked) doesn't make this thread political.

As for using CNN as a news source, does it really matter given what a News Corp subsidiary has done?

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#14 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:56 AM

Unless there is evidence that the misdeeds extended beyond the News of the World, it is unlikely there will be any significant fall-out in the US.

On a related subject, I find it interesting that after selling off DirecTV and calling satellite service a "turd bird", News Corp is looking to aquire a satellite service in the UK.

#15 OFFLINE   DaveC27

DaveC27

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:30 AM

Unless there is evidence that the misdeeds extended beyond the News of the World, it is unlikely there will be any significant fall-out in the US.

On a related subject, I find it interesting that after selling off DirecTV and calling satellite service a "turd bird", News Corp is looking to aquire a satellite service in the UK.

Well they've always owned BSkyB, but co-owned the service with a number of other companies and were now seeking to purchase the company outright

#16 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

Unless there is evidence that the misdeeds extended beyond the News of the World, it is unlikely there will be any significant fall-out in the US....

Here you go -

"According to The Guardian, The Independent and the BBC, investigators working for the News of the World, The Sun and The Sunday Times obtained information about (then PM Gordon) Brown's family, his legal, his financial and his medical records."

"The Sunday Times allegedly posed as Brown to obtain his personal financial records."

"The Daily Mirror also floated allegations that News of the World journalists tried to hack into the phones of victims of the 9/11 attacks. A source told the Mirror that a then-New York City police officer (now a private investigator) was approached and offered money if he would hack into the victims' voicemail. The officer reportedly declined the offer."

http://www.huffingto...g_n_894588.html

Oh, and this couldn't have happened to a nicer guy -

"The growing phone hacking scandal has sent News Corp’s shares down 13% since the story first broke. The share price collapse had wiped more than $5bn off the market value of News Corp. The drop was most painfully felt by the Murdoch family, which with a 39.7% shareholding, saw its paper fortune reduced by more than $2bn."

http://www.guardian....s-share-buyback

What's the word I'm looking for ? Oh yeah, here it is -

http://en.wiktionary...i/schadenfreude

Edited by spanishannouncetable, 13 July 2011 - 12:30 PM.
more recent quote on plummeting NewsCorp stock

Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#17 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:13 PM

I like Fox News. CNN, MSNBC and the network news casts only give a one sided viewpoint. Fox News constantly beats all of them in ratings.

#18 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

The way that News Of The World was shut down almost instantly makes me wonder if it isn't an attempt to stem interest before other holdings start receiving scrutiny. It seems a little suspiscious to me.

"Move along folks. Nothing more to see here."
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#19 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:36 PM

I like Fox News. CNN, MSNBC and the network news casts only give a one sided viewpoint. Fox News constantly beats all of them in ratings.

Not for much longer -

"...the latest ratings survey once again has Fox News slouching alone as the only cable news network to lose viewers year-over-year. The decline holds for both total viewers and for the 25-54 year old demographic, with the worst showing a double-digit decline in the demo for primetime."

http://www.newscorps...archsubmit=Find
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#20 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been closed yet... :eek2:

I've also been criticized and labeled for saying I don't like Fox News (for the record, I'm not crazy about CNN, MSNBC, or pretty much any source that calls themselves journalism, though TV networks are the worst offenders in my eyes, and Fox News the worst of the bunch), so I debated on saying anything negative toward News Corp.

However, I will say this. I do NOT like Rupert Murdoch. I respect some of his business abilities but at the end of the day, I too can say I was very happy when News Corp. stopped being associated with DirecTV. Makes paying that bill out all the more easier.

On the other hand, I'm quite thankful for Rupert Murdoch and News Corp. for turning the SpaceWays into video satellites, and putting so much of an emphasis on HD channels (both local and national) while at DirecTV.

~Alan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...