Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can I just say? I'm glad News Corp. is no longer involved with DIRECTV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

I like Fox News. CNN, MSNBC and the network news casts only give a one sided viewpoint. Fox News constantly beats all of them in ratings.

:lol::lol: And Fox News isn't one sided?
A prominent Fox News host, Chris Wallace, admitted that Fox News one sided. He said, "They (liberal media) have a liberal agenda, and we (Fox News) tell the other side of the story."

Fair and balanced? :lol::lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:14 PM

Guys .. Give it a rest .. This isn't a Fox News vs. Cnn vs. MSNBC vs. News service of your choice thread.

Why does the words "News Corp" have to turn into a fight over which news service is better? The answer is: "It doesn't" so Don't!

Thank You
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#23 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,836 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

Hearing that News Corp is in bad shape amid scandal, I'm glad that DIRECTV is no longer associated with them.

CNN.com

They spied overseas on individuals, you can bet they spied here as well.

By the time this mess is over, there will be dozens of new laws on the books.

But I wonder how much they're going to get away with, because of our laws have not kept up to the tech age we now live in.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#24 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:47 PM

How is this post any different than the numerous political threads that are banned? Your post is out of line because using a CNN report about News Corp is very prejudicial.

Don't think it really matters. This story is about the corporate world spying on the personal lives of individuals. And has nothing to do with politics of the corporation. Individuals would be just as pissed if it was done by a corporation with leanings in the other political direction.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#25 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:51 PM

When I saw this thread, I made a bet with myself about how long it would be before political partisanship raised its ugly head.

I bet 30 minutes. Myself bet 1 hour.

Myself was closer. I was surprised it took so long.

:D:D
Panasonic 50px60U
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-100
Salamander Design Synergy Cabinet with plasma mount

DirecTV since 2004

#26 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:57 PM

When I saw this thread, I made a bet with myself about how long it would be before political partisanship raised its ugly head.

Again .. Please stop with any political discussion about your choice of news services. I made a simple comment with a reference to where I heard it. That is all. This is news and anyone that disagrees with my observation is crazy. No way would DIRECTV being associated with News Corp today be better than DIRECTV not being associated with News Corp today.

The stuff is hitting the fan and bleeding into the US now. News Corp is in the midst of big, big problems even if they (as a whole) didn't do anything wrong.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#27 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

Again .. Please stop with any political discussion about your choice of news services. I made a simple comment with a reference to where I heard it. That is all. This is news and anyone that disagrees with my observation is crazy. No way would DIRECTV being associated with News Corp today be better than DIRECTV not being associated with News Corp today.

The stuff is hitting the fan and bleeding into the US now. News Corp is in the midst of big, big problems even if they (as a whole) didn't do anything wrong.

Murdoch might not have know what was going on at that magazine. They may have been trying to keep it quite from him. He did the right thing it shutting it down quickly. I mentioned Fox News because its owned by News Corp and I hope this doesn't effect Fox News since I like them, they are good outfit. Sorry about that.

#28 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:15 PM

Ship Murcoch back to Australia. A pox on him and his son and News Corp.

Citizen Kane would be ashamed.

#29 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:17 PM

Boy, it's amazing how the liberal media cringes about FOX entities, and then minimize their own flaws and agendas that far outnumber FOX's issues. Should have shut this thread down a long time ago.

#30 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:30 PM

Rep King (NY-R) is asking that News Corp be investigated here for 9/11 victims tampering.

If that is proved, that makes the practice in multiple Murdoch's companies and he would have a extreme hard time denying any knowledge.

Wonder if he approve this practice in his home country?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#31 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:34 PM

Much ado about nothing. If it wasn't related to News Corp or Murdock, you wouldn't have the outcry.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#32 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,050 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:38 PM

Folks let's try to keep this thread on topic.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#33 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:46 PM

A company is caught doing things it shouldn't. This company just happens to be a News organization.

Why is everyone turning this into some political thing?

Who cares if it was News Corp or Murdoch or CNN or Turner or Enron or any other company or person?

They did crap they shouldn't have and like Doug, I'm glad that company/person doesn't have anything to do with Directv any more.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#34 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:10 PM

I bet what we know now is only the tip of the iceberg of wrong doing.
This would have crippled D* if Newscorp still had an interest in the service. The company is buying back stock at an acellerated rate that would have drained cash for future investment in the company.

#35 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 551 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

From a conservative blogger:

http://www.thedailyb...-york-post.html

The media mogul is under fire over the London phone-hacking scandal, but here in America his New York Post has struggled with allegations that it rewarded friends and punished enemies. Howard Kurtz reports.

It's only tv!

#36 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:45 PM

I know everyone will disagree with this but if News Corp never bought Directv we would have never had the HR Platform for our dvr's and we would probably always have been on Tivo or something else. Yes I know the HR platform is not from NDS but the whole design and interface reflects the R15 originally with the active and red button services. So I know a lot of people like the HR platform over Tivo but if News Corp was never involved with Directv then things would be very different now with our services. So you should be thankful to News Corp somewhat.

#37 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:19 PM

I know everyone will disagree with this but if News Corp never bought Directv we would have never had the HR Platform for our dvr's and we would probably always have been on Tivo or something else. Yes I know the HR platform is not from NDS but the whole design and interface reflects the R15 originally with the active and red button services. So I know a lot of people like the HR platform over Tivo but if News Corp was never involved with Directv then things would be very different now with our services. So you should be thankful to News Corp somewhat.

While I'm not sure News Corp was specifically part of the HR decision making, I think your point is still sound overall.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#38 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:07 PM

Folks let's try to keep this thread on topic.

Uhhhh, and what would that topic be? Seriously, you didn't expect this to turn political?

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

#39 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:29 PM

I certainly didn't.

#40 OFFLINE   VLaslow

VLaslow

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:32 PM

With Chase Carey as President and COO at News Corp. they might have done some great stuff at BSkyB. After all, he helped build a pretty good infrastructure here. Too bad for everyone for every reason.

spam firewall