Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can I just say? I'm glad News Corp. is no longer involved with DIRECTV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,744 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:02 AM

Well as much as I agree with you Doug... And as much as I hated them when they owned the dodgers for the way they screwed up in the running of the team, I'd take them back in a heart beat over idiot McCourt. ;)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   FranklyFred

FranklyFred

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:26 AM

Say what you will. But when Murdoch ran DTV they went hard after HD and a big splash, lots of channels. Kinda like his papers . Too bad he sold out. We would have lots more HD channels now. Not just more HBOs HD .

#43 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:49 AM

I suppose that's possible except that Mr. Murdoch never had an operations position within DIRECTV, just an ownership stake.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#44 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:56 AM

It's hard to say .. Murdoch did help DIRECTV drive technology for the most part. Re: TiVo, it wasn't about using NDS stuff as much as it was about TiVo asking for too much money in the 2004-2006 time frame. A deal was nearly done, but at the last minute, something changed and DIRECTV decided to go their own way.

After Murdoch, I think Liberty did a good job of growing the bottom line (for DIRECTV). Even with the success of News Corp, I believe DIRECTV was better off for the change. And now, DIRECTV has cut the cord and they are on their own.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#45 OFFLINE   DMRI2006

DMRI2006

Godfather

• Registered
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:05 AM

As if they're the only British publishers to engage in this kind of mayhem? Sure, this is a big scandal, but I doubt they're the only ones who have broken the law. British tabloid journalism is disgusting and absolutely cutthroat, far worse than what we see in this country...and I agree there's no traction that will happen in the US *unless* it is proven it happened here also. Very few people in this country care (or even know about) The News of the World or UK Sat broadcasting -- to pretend otherwise is absurd.

#46 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:32 AM

Agreed, but that wasn't even really my point. The point is, that one of DIRECTV's previous large stakeholders is now caught in a scandal that is spiraling downward. If DIRECTV were still "owned" by News Corp in the way they were a few years back, DIRECTV's stock would be falling hard. I'm glad that that is not the case (and I don't even have DIRECTV stock).

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#47 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:40 AM

I feel like DirecTV under News Corp. aligned more with my interests than DirecTV does today. So regardless of the current scandals, I believe I'd still be happier if News Corp. owned DirecTV.

Now let's go celebrate some more new premium HD channels! :nono:

#48 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:41 AM

Doug has eloquently stated the bottom line. There's nothing political here, just bad business that we're glad we're no part of.

As for your comment, Mr. W, it's understood but how much of that alignment was due to the ownership and how much was due to the management? For that matter, how much is due to external factors like content provider greed and the poor economy?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#49 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:51 AM

Not that I think it would have any impact on the company, doesn't Murdoch still own a large chunk of DirecTV? I know Liberty now has controlling interest, but that doesn't mean that Murdoch isn't still heavily invested in DirecTV. Either way, like I said, I can't imagine this would do anything to DirecTV, or any other companies that News Corp owns, like Fox News - FNC isn't going to fold just because the parent company acted like this.

#50 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:56 AM

doesn't Murdoch still own a large chunk of DirecTV?

I don't believe Rupert or News Corp. have any stake in DirecTV.

#51 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

Not that I think it would have any impact on the company, doesn't Murdoch still own a large chunk of DirecTV? I know Liberty now has controlling interest, but that doesn't mean that Murdoch isn't still heavily invested in DirecTV. Either way, like I said, I can't imagine this would do anything to DirecTV, or any other companies that News Corp owns, like Fox News - FNC isn't going to fold just because the parent company acted like this.

What you may be remember is that I do believe Liberty has some interest still (I didn't go back and look), but they no longer hold Controlling interest.

Basically, DIRECTV spun off from Liberty and are now a entity all their own.

#52 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:43 AM

What you may be remember is that I do believe Liberty has some interest still (I didn't go back and look), but they no longer hold Controlling interest.

Basically, DIRECTV spun off from Liberty and are now a entity all their own.

Ah, that's right. Thanks for the correction/clarification. I forgot that DirecTV was spun off on its own.

#53 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

Source: FBI investigating News Corp. over 9/11 victims
A law enforcement official says the FBI has opened an investigation into allegations that media mogul Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. (Parent of Fox News Channel) sought to hack into the phones of Sept. 11 victims.

http://seattletimes....t11victims.html
It's only tv!

#54 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:41 AM

Since it is illegal for an American company to bribe officials abroad, it looks like News Corp is in a world of hurt.
It's only tv!

#55 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:46 AM

The biggest problem if News Corp. still owned DirecTV would be the lack of attention. Right now Murdoch is in full damage control mode. If one of his businesses is basically working right, it gets ignored. Many of his concerns will be left to their local managers for the foreseeable future. Being ignored is good at first, enjoyable in fact, but when issues do come up, they often don't get addressed.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#56 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:15 PM

Carl - You're right on there. Great observation!

#57 OFFLINE   jackinbox

jackinbox

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:13 AM

I like Fox News. CNN, MSNBC and the network news casts only give a one sided viewpoint. Fox News constantly beats all of them in ratings.

It beats CNN and MSNBC but not a single show on Fox News beats any network newscast in the ratings. The O'Reilly Factor is the highest rated show on FNC. Between the 8pm and 11pm broadcasts, he's getting about 4.3 million viewers. The NBC Nightly News gets 7.7 million and the lowest of the three, CBS gets 5.6 million viewers.

Even Fox News Sunday gets hammered by the other networks on the Sunday shows.

Network Program Total Viewers A25-54
NBC “Meet the Press” 2.65M 773K
CBS “Face the Nation” 2.31M 665K
ABC “This Week” 2.08M 717K
FOX “Fox News Sunday” 1.24M 488K

#58 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

OK .. Time for this thread to be done .. Really, it's not about which news service is better. I happen to use CNN as my news service, but that's more a force of habit than anything else because they were first. That is why I used CNN, no other reason.

So, we're just done now. Sorry.

spam firewall