Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ted Danson joining the cast of CSI

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:33 AM

US Magazine is reporting that Ted Danson will replace Laurence Fishburne on the cast of CSI.

Washington Post story.

And, Inside TV @ EW

I have to say I like this move. I found myself liking 'Ray Langston' at times, and at other times completely uninterested in him. I didn't like the progression from University Professor to Crime Lab Go To Guy in a matter of episodes. And the story line with the serial killer who wouldn't die didn't really capture me. It was good the first time around - the subsequent times through the storyline didn't thrill me.

I haven't seen any of Ted Danson's more recent work, but I think he's a good actor who could fit in really well with the cast that's already assembled. Obviously alot depends on the character they have written for him, but in my minds eye, I can see this being a good fit and refreshing the series a little bit.

That's my hope anyway. :) CSI is one of the staples around our house, and it was at times tough to watch last season, so hopefully they can regroup and recover some of their lost popularity!
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:36 AM

From The Hollywood Reporter:

Ted Danson is joining CBS’ flagship "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation."

The former "Cheers" star replaces Laurence Fishburne as the new team leader....

Danson, an Emmy and Golden Globe winner, will play the new CSI supervisor for the grave shift after heading the crime lab in Portland....

“You can create a new character on the page, but until the perfect actor comes along and breathes life into it, it’s just words,” executive producer Carol Mendelsohn said in a statement announcing the casting Tuesday. “We’re very excited Ted Danson came along.”

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:37 AM

Ok, mods would you combine the two threads.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:40 AM

He's OK in some roles, but he gave me the creeps in both "Body Heat" and "The Onion Field".
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#5 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

I'm not sure about this one. I haven't liked his last couple of roles, they were too harsh and too hard smoking. I heard he wanted to get right of Sam Malone as his image, but ...

I'll certainly give him a try, I like the series too much. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#6 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,172 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

I'm not to sure what to think of this one just yet.
I like the fact that he is coming in a Supervisor and not some low level CSI (as Langston was) who acts like a supervisor. However, they have to be careful not to make his character to much like Grissom otherwise that will possibly turn viewers off.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#7 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:01 AM

I'll keep an open mind on this and see how it plays out. At least the writers realized their mistake of replacing the lab supervisor with a rookie and didn't make the same mistake twice.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#8 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:05 AM

I'm not sure about this one. I haven't liked his last couple of roles, they were too harsh and too hard smoking. I heard he wanted to get right of Sam Malone as his image, but ...

I'll certainly give him a try, I like the series too much. :)

Cheers,
Tom

I'm thinking too harsh wouldn't play well in CSI... so hopefully they've created a character that can be NOT Sam Malone but at the same time not be so over the top that the character is unenjoyable.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:45 AM

Very interesting choice.... but said... he comming in as an experienced CSI, in a management supervisor role.. that is going to help a lot.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:52 AM

Have I missed something but what happened to Katherine? She was the shift super and I know she, the actor, was planning to leave after this coming season.

From my android

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#11 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:16 PM

I like this idea.

Really enjoyed his work on Damages.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#12 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

Have I missed something but what happened to Katherine? She was the shift super and I know she, the actor, was planning to leave after this coming season.

From my android

They announced a couple weeks ago... The character is going to transition into a lesser on-screen role. (Same announcement about Fishbern leaving)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#13 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,913 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:17 PM

He's OK in some roles, but he gave me the creeps in both "Body Heat" and "The Onion Field".

When then he's in the right show for that creepy stuff.

BTW, I think he's a nice addition. Wonder what kind of fault they're going to give his character?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#14 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:47 PM

I think he's a nice addition. Wonder what kind of fault they're going to give his character?

Maybe they'll make him a Red Sux fan. That's quite a character fault (and something Danson can do based on past parts). :D
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#15 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

"Sometimes you want to go where everybody kills a friend."- Borrowed from a friend

#16 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:41 PM

Wonder what kind of fault they're going to give his character?

He'll be psycho about making sure his hairpiece covers his bald spot.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#17 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,577 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:58 PM

Looking forward to it. Liked him in Cheers, loved him in Becker and Damages. As long as the writing is good, I expect him to hit this one out of the park.
/steve

#18 OFFLINE   pfueri

pfueri

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:56 PM

This is a bad choice for CSI . And I thought Laurence Fishburne was a bad choice this is just as bad of a choice !

Edited by pfueri, 15 July 2011 - 06:55 PM.

#19 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,954 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:17 AM

No matter what role he plays, I still have him type-casted in my head as Sam. I grew up watching Cheers, over and over and over.
I am catching up with the Bored to Death series and I still just look at him as an aging bartender.

#20 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:19 AM

I like this idea.

Really enjoyed his work on Damages.

Agreed. He showed a pretty good depth in that role, so as far as his acting goes, I believe he's got the goods. It'll really come down to how the writers mesh with his style.....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...