Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Congress to Tell TelCo Crammers to Cram it.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,653 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:17 PM

Mysterious fees and services crammed onto phone bills are a “nationwide epidemic” for U.S. consumers, but a reliable source of revenue for some of America's biggest telecommunications companies, a year-long congressional investigation has found.

A report issued Wednesday by Sen. John Rockefeller, D-W.Va., says that three firms -- Verizon, AT&T and CenturyLink/Quest -- earned $650 million as their cut of cramming charges levied by third-parties since 2006.

Cramming charges -- such as unwanted $10-per-month voicemail or Web design services -- have been frustrating phone customers for more than 15 years, thanks in part to ill-considered rules designed to enhance competition in local phone markets. Consumers often don't spot the small monthly fees, but even when they do getting refunds can be a nightmare: The telephone provider that sends the bills often refuses to issue refunds, instead referring consumers to the third-party firms, which are often unresponsive. The Federal Communications Commission estimates that 15 million to 20 million consumers are crammed every year. Rockefeller’s report says cramming could cost U.S. consumers $2 billion annually.

http://redtape.msnbc...es-senator-says
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,132 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

A lot of those fee additions are government. Think one is so old, it can trace back to the Spanish-American War.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:48 PM

They will find a way to replace the lost revenue just like the banks have after credit card regulations went into effect.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,987 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:46 PM

They will find a way to replace the lost revenue just like the banks have after credit card regulations went into effect.

It doesn't mean we should swallow the fee now !

Keep scrutinized them all the time !

#5 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:31 PM

A lot of those fee additions are government. Think one is so old, it can trace back to the Spanish-American War.

Actually many of the fees that "appear to be" government are labeled that way solely to look like government. They really aren't.

Like "federal paperwork recovery fee". Bogus, it is just a fee to offset their government paperwork they've had to file for 50 years and now they want to break that out--for more money.

The details won't bother them, as people notice the total cost, they will switch to other providers.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

And the charges being discussed are not government fees nor fake government fees.

They are fees for services that were not requested.

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:23 PM

When I had AT*T, they used to do that to me at least every other month. They refused to block people from adding charges to my phone, so I solved it myself, I signed up for Vonage, had them transfer my number, and once transferred, told AT*T what they could do with THEIR bill as well as the charges they added to it. Will not ever have a phone again while anyone can add charges to it without my permission.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...