Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV Transponder Map: New Data 8/17/2011

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:48 PM

Sorry for the cross-post, but I'm not seeing any response in the spot beam forum. Does anyone have a thought on the following question?

I am trying to understand the maps and getting a bit confused. I'm in the South San Francisco Bay Area, but I see two spot beam maps: one for San Francisco (D12 A2BD) and one for San Jose (D12 A3BA). I'm certainly closer to San Jose (a few miles) than San Francisco. What Spot Beam would I be receiving HD locals from then? There is a wide difference in the availability of the spot beams based on where each comes from. The SF beam seems focused more "west" and thins out across California, while the SJ beam seems focused more "east" and covers most of north west California.

Try this:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=195415

What DMA are you in for LIL
San Francisco, proper is NET 680 on D10/12 Beam A2BD (Antenna 2 Beam 13)
Other adjacent DMA's may be on other beams.

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   gwade

gwade

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:19 PM

That's what is so confusing. I assume I am in DMA #6 San Francisco / Oakland / San Jose, DTV net 680 like you mentioned, however there appear to be separate spot beams for "San Francisco" and "San Jose", hence my confusion.

Edited to add:
After further research, it appears that D12 A3BA is for the Fresno, CA DMA. I believe it is mis-labeled as "San Jose" in the Spot Beam Footprint Library.

Edited by gwade, 23 August 2011 - 03:29 PM.

#23 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,160 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:08 AM

That's what is so confusing. I assume I am in DMA #6 San Francisco / Oakland / San Jose, DTV net 680 like you mentioned, however there appear to be separate spot beams for "San Francisco" and "San Jose", hence my confusion.

Edited to add:
After further research, it appears that D12 A3BA is for the Fresno, CA DMA. I believe it is mis-labeled as "San Jose" in the Spot Beam Footprint Library.

There is no need to "assume" your DMA, you can easily "know" it for sure based upon your zip code at places like here;

http://www.viamediatv.com/markets/

Spotbeams which frequently overlap and the highly irregular shaped boundaries of DMAs they cover do not match of course. Therefore even if you appear to be located closer to one beam on a SB map does not mean that is necessarily the beam assigned to your DMA.

You normally must use your zip code to determine it.

#24 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:50 PM

Closing this thread. Please see the new thread providing updated data of 8/24/11, in this same dbstalk Forum.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...