Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LKG907

LKG907

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:27 PM

I've recently noted that the 625 has a location for an OTA antenna input.
I've been hauling the receiver in the RV/Trailer and using it to play the recored movies and such. Are there other uses??
With an antenna hooked up to the OTA input, will it get all of the OTA channels, or just the ones offered by Dish as locals? I find the sub-channels kind of interesting.
Can I record the received OTA channels on the DVR? How do I program them in to the receiver?
I just use rabbit ears in the trailer, but I'm always suprised at how many channels are available.
Thanks,
LKG907

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:30 PM

I don't have a 625, but I think it is just a passthrough... which means no actual tuner... it just passes through whatever signal you feed from something like a VCR.

Even IF it were a tuner, though, it would be an analog tuner... and not a digital one... which would mean no OTA channels, and definitely no recording of them.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

No dice, SOL, no ATSC tuner in 512/522/625 DVR.

#4 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:11 AM

Depending upon your location when you a RV'ing, you can connect an outside antenna to that port, which is a pass through port, change your TV to the correct channel and can get locals from that area.

Depending how far you are from the transmitting tower, that will determine your signal strength.

#5 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

Depending upon your location when you a RV'ing, you can connect an outside antenna to that port, which is a pass through port, change your TV to the correct channel and can get locals from that area.

Depending how far you are from the transmitting tower, that will determine your signal strength.

That would only be true if the TV has it's own ATSC digital tuner. If the TV is NTSC analog, there will be few if any local stations available. Even Canada which still had many analog stations, finally converted to digital.

Since the RF output of the 625 is analog ch 3 or 4, chances are the TV connected to that post is analog only as well. Bottom line that pass-through is virtually useless today.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#6 ONLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:38 PM

The only "tuner" that a 625 has are 2 Satellite tuners. As stated above - the "antenna input" on it is strictly a passthrough - any Digital OTA signals would need to be decoded by your TV.
I used to have a 625 until I downgraded to a single tuner SD sat receiver.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

spam firewall