Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

1080P PPV vs. Blu-Ray DVD (sound) ...

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Janice805

Janice805

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:19 AM

I'm thinking of dropped Netflix and to start using (1-2) Direct TV 1080P PPV movies per month instead. My question is this ... with DTV's 1080P movies is the "SOUND quality" the very same as a Blu-Ray DVD or is it of a lesser quality?

P.S. I cannot remember if I asked this before so forgive me if I did, but now I'm ready to make a decision.
P.P.S. I'm assuming the picture quality is the same :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,719 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:27 AM

I don't think the actual bit-rates are going to be the same between a disk and what we get through the SAT feed.
Now whether this difference is enough for you to see/hear is what you should test. I'd try to compare the same movie between the two and then you'll have your answer.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:27 AM

It can not be same - bandwidth limited, sound is 5.1 max.

#4 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:37 AM

It all depends on your audio gear. If your gear does not decode the advanced audio tracks on a blu-ray, good chance you're using the std DD track. If that’s the case, the audio should sound the same.

FYI – Picture quality is not the same. A good blu-ray will always beat DIRECTV’s 1080P format. However, if you have a smaller TV and/or sit far from it, I doubt you’ll see a difference.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,710 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:55 AM

Good point on the audio. If the audio receiver isn't using HDMI for audio, or it doesn't support DolbyHD or DTSMA (though this last one may not matter with something like a PS3 set to bitstream), you're not getting the best audio.

No provider can provide video/audio that is equal to a properly setup Blu-Ray.

If you want the best quality, personally I'd use Redbox if one is conveniently located.

#6 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:33 AM

No, Blu Ray's have lossless audio, VOD does not.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#7 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

I wonder how much longer DTV would keep their rental prices the same? Or if they will start their own Netflix and you would be able to rent unlimited DTV Cinema and VOD movies and TV Shows for a monthly fee?

#8 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:21 PM

maybe that is why Dishnetwork bought Blockbuster. If DirecTV had wanted to they could have bid on Blockbuster too, they didn't so I wouldn't expect them to add a service to compete with their PPV offerings.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#9 OFFLINE   Janice805

Janice805

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:26 PM

I have an older Onkyo system (7.1) and the blu-ray movies have excellent sound (with the DVDs) so was wondering about DTV's sound quality. Hutchinshouse, so you're saying even the picture quality is lesser than the DVD? Dang, maybe I need to keep Netflix. I've talked with Direct TV till I'm blue in the face about coming up with a monthly plan (vs $6 x movie). Now I'm paying about $12 x month, 1 DVD at a time with Netflix. If Direct TV offered one 1080P movie a week for an additional $12 a month I'd probably buy in. But first I need to sort out the picture/sound quality issue though.

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,910 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

Why not just try a movie?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,697 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

I have an older Onkyo system (7.1) and the blu-ray movies have excellent sound (with the DVDs) so was wondering about DTV's sound quality. Hutchinshouse, so you're saying even the picture quality is lesser than the DVD? Dang, maybe I need to keep Netflix. I've talked with Direct TV till I'm blue in the face about coming up with a monthly plan (vs $6 x movie). Now I'm paying about $12 x month, 1 DVD at a time with Netflix. If Direct TV offered one 1080P movie a week for an additional $12 a month I'd probably buy in. But first I need to sort out the picture/sound quality issue though.

As others have mentioned the sound quality will not be the same. BUT YOU MAY NOT EVEN NOTICE... A BluRay disc has the capacity for lossless (essentially uncompressed although it still converts to PCM which is NOT exactly the same (or as full) as DSD) audio whereas your DTV receiver is capable of Dolby Digital 5.1 as its best audio which is a relatively low bit rate audio stream.

As a listener you may or may not notice the difference unless you've golden ears and or your AV equipment through to speakers is fairly high end.

Really you just need to try one using a movie you have enjoyed on disc so you have a frame of reference.

Don "fast food has shortcuts but it does have it's place" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#12 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,463 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

As others have mentioned the sound quality will not be the same. BUT YOU MAY NOT EVEN NOTICE... A BluRay disc has the capacity for lossless (essentially uncompressed although it still converts to PCM which is NOT exactly the same (or as full) as DSD) audio whereas your DTV receiver is capable of Dolby Digital 5.1 as its best audio which is a relatively low bit rate audio stream.

As a listener you may or may not notice the difference unless you've golden ears and or your AV equipment through to speakers is fairly high end.

It also depends GREATLY on the movie and the sound mix. For instance, something like The Hangover, who is going to notice the difference between bluray sound and On Demand? However, something like LOTR, there is a big difference. It depends on how sharp the imaging is for the sound field from the source.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,710 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:01 PM

Is your Blu-Ray player connected to HDMI on your Onkyo for audio?

#14 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:51 PM

While I agree it might not be noticeable, depending upon the set-up, it doesn't take golden ears or high end equipment.

The difference should be noticeable with a $300 receiver and a sub-$1000 5.1 set up.

I have a 12 year old set of Klipsch Quintets in my living room that I paid $600 for originally and a $250 Pioneer Receiver and the difference between lossless audio on a Blu Ray and lossy audio on a DVD or D* is obvious.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#15 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:00 PM

Not lesser than DVD, lesser than blu-ray. In general, DIRECTV 1080P is better than DVD, not as good as blu-ray.

#16 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:09 PM

Not lesser than DVD, lesser than blu-ray. In general, DIRECTV 1080P is much better than DVD, not as good as blu-ray.

Fixed that for you. ;)

#17 OFFLINE   nickff

nickff

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:44 PM

It is pretty easy to A/B lossless audio versus standard DD 5.1 when watching a Blu-Ray... I notice a difference and my wife (who could care less) can notice a difference.

The improved audio is the main reason I bought a Blu-Ray player. The improved PQ was nice, but not enough of a difference that I wanted to invest in the equipment. However, when I heard the lossless tracks... the decision was an easy one.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

Pioneer 141FD, Sony 52XBR3, LG 50" something-or-other
Denon 4311, Denon 2112
HR44, HR24, C41
SWM

#18 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:13 PM

It is pretty easy to A/B lossless audio versus standard DD 5.1 when watching a Blu-Ray... I notice a difference and my wife (who could care less) can notice a difference.

The improved audio is the main reason I bought a Blu-Ray player. The improved PQ was nice, but not enough of a difference that I wanted to invest in the equipment. However, when I heard the lossless tracks... the decision was an easy one.

I agree. I think I was more amazed by the how much better the lossless audio sounded and the difference it made in the overall movie experience than I was by the improved PQ.

#19 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,697 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:23 PM

While I agree it might not be noticeable, depending upon the set-up, it doesn't take golden ears or high end equipment.

The difference should be noticeable with a $300 receiver and a sub-$1000 5.1 set up.

I have a 12 year old set of Klipsch Quintets in my living room that I paid $600 for originally and a $250 Pioneer Receiver and the difference between lossless audio on a Blu Ray and lossy audio on a DVD or D* is obvious.

On a direct toggle between the 2 yes its demonstrably different but upon separate playings not nearly so obvious. Eventually you kind of go "seems like something isn't quite right" check the audio track and then correct:grin:

To me there is a *big* difference, to my wife none... It just depends, heck I can even hear the difference between full rate standard DTS and normal high bit rate Dolby digital on my 2nd generation Yamaha sound projector.

Really up to the listener's perspective and "eye" or in this case "ear" for detail.

Don "my hearing is so good I hear the voices clearly all the time" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#20 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:30 PM

Fixed that for you. ;)

That’s debatable. Via my Oppo BDP-83, I have a few DVDs (upconverted to 1080/24p) that will give DIRECTV’s 1080p a run for their money.

Let me break it down a little further:
DIRECTV 1080p is much better than a DVD on a STD DVD player.
DIRECTV 1080p is better than a DVD on an Oppo player.

;)

spam firewall