Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Excruciatingly slow DVRs: a potential fix

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
323 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:18 AM

I have created a new thread so that my post can be more easily found.

The original thread: All my receivers are excruciatingly slow can be found here.

DIRECTV has made some changes that should fix the slow DVR problem. I'd like for those of you still having this problem to do something so that we can prove or disprove that the fix works. If you are still having the slow DVR problem, please restart your DVR. You only need to do this once, and you only need to do this if you think you still have the slow DVR problem.

You can use one of the following two methods to restart your DVR:

(1) Open the access card door on the lower right front of the DVR and press the red button inside (RBR)

(2) Using your remote, choose {MENU} > {Parental, Fav's & Setup} > {System Setup} > {Reset} > {Restart Receiver} and then {DASH} to verify

--

Feel free to continue discussing this issue in this new thread.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:45 AM

I have seen the statement several times now that the HD GUI will speed things up. Will the GUI help with remote response time, channel change times and other overall speediness or just help while using the guide ?

#3 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

My DVR has been excruciatingly slow lately. Ive tried several resets (none within the same half hour tho, I may need to try that soon), as well as doing the channel 1 -> red red blue blue yellow green NVRAM clearing code and while both fixes clear the problem up for very short periods, its always back very quickly. It takes anywhere from 10 to 45 seconds to change channels, the DVR often goes periods of up to 45 seconds before it responds to commands, scrolling through the recorded programs list is an exercize in patience sometimes, and god help me if I want to view the to do list.

I hope it gets fixed soon...

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:14 PM

Did you try a reset today? This is recent.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:03 PM

Did you try a reset today? This is recent.

I take it that those of us who did resets when that advice was first given days ago need to do it again?
When news breaks...we fix it.

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,895 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:04 PM

I take it that those of us who did resets when that advice was first given days ago need to do it again?

Yes.

#7 OFFLINE   Spicoli

Spicoli

This is only a test...

• DBSTalk Club
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:09 PM

I deffinately will try this when I get home. I have done a couple of resets but nothing within the last week or so because it didn't help.
-Jeff

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,865 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:29 PM

I think what Mr. Brott is saying is that within the last few hours, some changes have been made that should help you, but that you need to reset after those changes have been made.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

These changes would have been pushed to the machines? If so, would that update the software date & time?

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:55 PM

I think what Mr. Brott is saying is that within the last few hours, some changes have been made that should help you, but that you need to reset after those changes have been made.

These changes would have been pushed to the machines? If so, would that update the software date & time?

I would guess these are in the data stream, as a reboot doesn't force a software update.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,590 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

It's not related to any software updates. It's related to changes in the Guide Data stream. Try the reset as Doug advised.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#12 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:54 PM

Right, I knew the reboot wasn't going to bring down data.

I'll reboot the DVR's tonight. Can you do that from the iPad app? If not, I'll have to trudge up to the Man Cave to do my husband's :-).

#13 OFFLINE   rmduff

rmduff

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:19 PM

Did a reboot and my HR21-700 was working great but it only lasted about 30 minutes. It is now back to super slow response from the remote. So it looks like the fix does not work for me.

#14 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:28 PM

Thanks .. I'm trying to confirm, but looking at the firmware monitor, it appears if the HR21/22/23 will be getting a download later tonight - 0x4cc.

#15 OFFLINE   bobfrapples

bobfrapples

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:39 PM

Restarted my HR24 and no improvement. Still slow pulling up menus and changing channels. Same as last night when it took a turn for the worse. Instead of lagging, the playback is now more pixelated. Don't know if that's a longer or shorter lag than just skipping.

I'm starting to have more serious doubts that these software issues fried my hard drive. So unfortunate.

#16 OFFLINE   triple6sickness

triple6sickness

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:46 PM

another great way to speed up the HD-DVRs is to turn off the scrolling effects
press menu <<parental favs<<system etup<<display<<preferences<<scrolling effects

#17 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:50 PM

I'm starting to have more serious doubts that these software issues fried my hard drive. So unfortunate.

Highly doubtful, if anything its just a coincidence.

#18 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,110 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:04 AM

Well, I did a restart at about midnight central and after forty-five+ minutes, it seems to be noticeably quicker in the guide and list. I'll see how it is after ten or twelve hours.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#19 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:11 AM

I will reboot my HR21s tonight and post back what I observe. Thanks Doug.

#20 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,648 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:35 AM

Did a reboot last night. This morning my HR22-100 still shows 0x4a7 for software. No sign of 0x04cc. After powering up receiver menu and channel change froze up. This lasted for several minutes. After it cleared I started watching "The Man Who Knew Too Much" on Cinemax MoreMax. Then poof, lost all my premium channels and HD Extra Pack. Had to call DirecTV. They corrected the problem but was given no explanation as to why that happened. :shrug:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...