Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Wireless Cinema Connection Kit and WPA password

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   daviator

daviator

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:14 AM

This seems to be the home of the really smart folks (I'm a long-time lurker here) so let me try my question.

I have Whole-House DECA network with two HR-21s. Decided I wanted to be able to use the cool iPad app to its fullest, among other things, and discovered that DTV finally had a good wireless solution for internet connectivity. I ordered the new wireless Cinema Connection Kit and a couple of days later it arrived.

I then spent 3+ hours of utter frustration trying to get it to talk to my wireless network. The DVR recognizes the CCK, the CCK "sees" my wireless network (and about 35 others), but it is never able to connect to my network because it apparently doesn't really support WPA security protocol, which is what my network uses. (My wireless router is an Apple Airport Extreme.)

So the password is always rejected. I spent about an hour on the phone with a DTV tech and he concluded that the CCK just didn't seem to know it was supposed to switch to WPA mode (I think it works fine with the older WEP, but I don't want to run WEP on my network.)

Has anyone made this work? What am I missing?

DirecTV offered to send a tech out to install a wired solution, but I'd really rather have it work wirelessly, I'd rather not punch more holes in the walls. There's no wired ethernet anywhere near either of my DVRs.

Thanks in advance for any help!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,292 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:38 AM

Do you have any coax near any ethernet cables or router? With DECA, you just need to bridge your network at any location where your coax and CAT5 meet.

EDIT: You could try using the WPS feature with your Airport...

You open the Airport Utility app and select your base station (double click). Then go into the "Base station" drop down menu and select "Add Wireless Clients" and select "1st Attempt" from the dialog box.

Next, go to the WCCK and press the WPS button ("press" or "press and hold" I'm not sure) that should initiate communication with the Airport and link up without entering your password. The Airport Utility app should let you know if it's successful or not.

Good Luck and :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

Edited by Go Beavs, 15 July 2011 - 09:18 AM.
Added info

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:46 AM

I helped test the WCCK, and used WPA. However, I have a very long key code which the HR series would not permit me to enter. I used a pc to connect directly to the WCCK and through the user interface was able to set it up properly. Don't recall what all I had to do to accomplish that, and no longer have my WCCK to test with, but that would probably get you going.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:51 AM

I know that WPA is supported. I wonder if the Airport is set to use WPA2 which might not be supported. If you reset the CCK by holding the reset button for 5 seconds while powered, then you can configure it by connecting it to a PC. Follow the instructions on page 5 of the first look:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=193851

This might allow you to understand what's going on because the web interface has a lot more advanced options.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,084 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:01 AM

The WPA passphrase is case sensitive. Are you entering in all caps, when it should be all lower-case?

#6 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:01 AM

WPA2 Personal is supported and can be configured via a PC + web browser

Mine is set to 'WPA/WPA2 Personal' mode
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

Thank you, Doug, I was not sure of that. My router at home is set just as yours is, and as such I wasn't sure if the CCK was using WPA or WPA2.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:16 AM

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1310739338

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.GIF

A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   daviator

daviator

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

THanks for all the feedback.

I'm positive I'm entering the password correctly, with appropriate upper and lower case. And unfortunately, my coax and ethernet don't come together anywhere, so bridging things would require running a cable out and over the roof and back down, which is what I'm hoping to avoid.

Interestingly, I tried very hard to use the WPS feature, but can't get that to work either. When I push the button on the DCCK, the airport utility (after a few seconds) sees the MAC address of the DCCK, but then ultimately returns an error message, saying that there was an error while a device tried to connect. I tried that at least 20 times to no avail. I don't know why it won't work.

I'm going to try the suggestion of connecting the DCCK to my computer and configuring it manually, I didn't know that was an option. I'll let you know how it goes.

By the way, I was originally set up for WPA2 Personal on my Airport router, but I changed everything to WPA/WPA2 and it didn't make any difference with the DCCK.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:10 PM

I'd bring it to where you can connect it to your router with ethernet [doesn't need coax] and look at what the router assigns for a IP address.
I'd then connect the PC to directly to it [so the PC isn't connected to the router] and then type the IP address into my browser, which should have the GUI come up and ask for user name & password "admin" is used for both.
Here you should be able to set it up and then you can move it to where you need it.
Don't try to have it connected to your router AND your PC connected to the router [I did this :lol:] as when it connects wirelessly it locks everything up.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:10 PM

Did you reset the WCCK to defaults (with the reset button) before you tried WPS?

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

#12 OFFLINE   daviator

daviator

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:19 PM

Yes, I've been making liberal use of the reset button on the DCCK. :-)

I'll try bringing it to the PC as you suggest, veryoldschool. Haven't had a chance yet but will do it later today.

#13 OFFLINE   daviator

daviator

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:05 PM

OK, I connected the DCCK to my computer and accessed the web interface. I set the network name to that of my network, set the security mode to WPA2 Personal (which is what my router is set to) and entered the password appropriately. I then saved the configuration to the DCCK.

Then I unplugged the DCCK and took it back to my DVR and plugged it all back in. The appropriate lights all come on, including the WLAN light, indicating (I think) that it's talking to my wireless router. In the airport utility, it shows the DCCK as a connected client. All should be well, right?

Not quite. Now I can't get the DVR to recognize that it is connected. I've restored the default settings and gone through the process multiple times, but I ultimately am not able to get the DVR to connect through the DCCK. Yesterday when this would happen, I'd reset the DCCK and restore network defaults on the DVR, and it would always find it. But I assume if I reset the DCCK it will wipe out the settings I entered via the administration page.

So close, but yet so far....

#14 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,084 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:01 PM

Just curious, now that the WCCK is wirelessly connected, can the second DVR connect to the network?

#15 OFFLINE   daviator

daviator

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:19 PM

Oh, that's a good question, I hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately, I just went and tried it and got the identical result.

When you go to configure the internet access, the DVR asks how you want to connect (ethernet, power line, or wirelessly.) I choose wireless, of course. It then goes to "Checking WIreless Adapter..." When it works, there will be a "flash" on the screen after a few seconds, and then a few more seconds of "Checking Wireless Adapter..." before it moves on to the next screen. But what's happening now is that after just a few seconds of the "checking..." screen, it goes to another screen where it tells you to plug the wireless adapter into the ethernet port, which is most definitely not what needs to happen in my case (with whole house DVR.)

#16 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

OK, I connected the DCCK to my computer and accessed the web interface. I set the network name to that of my network, set the security mode to WPA2 Personal (which is what my router is set to) and entered the password appropriately. I then saved the configuration to the DCCK.

Then I unplugged the DCCK and took it back to my DVR and plugged it all back in. The appropriate lights all come on, including the WLAN light, indicating (I think) that it's talking to my wireless router. In the airport utility, it shows the DCCK as a connected client. All should be well, right?

Not quite. Now I can't get the DVR to recognize that it is connected. I've restored the default settings and gone through the process multiple times, but I ultimately am not able to get the DVR to connect through the DCCK. Yesterday when this would happen, I'd reset the DCCK and restore network defaults on the DVR, and it would always find it. But I assume if I reset the DCCK it will wipe out the settings I entered via the administration page.

So close, but yet so far....

So how are you trying to connect to it? When I was using a WET610N wireless bridge to access VOD, I would set it up via the computer first. The DVR wouldn't "find" it after I connected it, I would just set up the DVR's networking by selecting "Connect Now" and choosing the wired option.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

#17 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:24 PM

The WCCK is the only part that is wireless now .. All of your DVRs should connect to the nework as "wired"
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:26 PM

Oh, that's a good question, I hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately, I just went and tried it and got the identical result.

When you go to configure the internet access, the DVR asks how you want to connect (ethernet, power line, or wirelessly.) I choose wireless, of course. It then goes to "Checking WIreless Adapter..." When it works, there will be a "flash" on the screen after a few seconds, and then a few more seconds of "Checking Wireless Adapter..." before it moves on to the next screen. But what's happening now is that after just a few seconds of the "checking..." screen, it goes to another screen where it tells you to plug the wireless adapter into the ethernet port, which is most definitely not what needs to happen in my case (with whole house DVR.)

Did you get it to configure with your PC?
Once that is done, then at the receiver you "merely" select "wired" and it works, since the whole "wireless" is to configure the device, which you've already done with the PC.
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   daviator

daviator

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:31 PM

The VERY FIRST time I connected the DCCK to the DVR, it automatically found it and took me through the setup (which failed because of the password problem.) SInce then, I have never managed to trigger that automatic setup again, despite resetting to defaults on the DVR and resetting the DCCK. So I'm not sure why the "autodetect" only worked once.

So subsequently, I was able to recognize it by going to Network Settings-->Connect Now-->Wireless. It would always find the DCCK and bring up the "choose a wireless network" page *if I had reset the DCCK and restored network defaults on the DVR prior to attempting it.* Otherwise it was hit or miss whether it would be recognized.

Now, after configuring the DCCK via the computer, I can't get it to recognize at all (and resetting the DCCK would defeat the configuration I did.)

I did just try doing Connect Now-->Wired, but I get the same screen urging me to plug into the ethernet port, and if I continue, eventually a page "A problem was detected." with result code 86-051. The page shows and IP address but no default gateway or DNS. It says Network: Connected and Internet: Not Connected (13).

#20 OFFLINE   daviator

daviator

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:32 PM

Maybe I need to reconfigure with the PC then, because maybe selecting "wireless" has messed up the configuration?

spam firewall