Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVR Drama

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   decapad

decapad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:12 AM

Hi - I bought a HR21 from a third party. Directv told me (orally) it was owned & I could activate it. When I rcvd it & I went to order the new access card, Directv changed their story & said it was leased & I could not activate it. So - ALWAYS get it in writing from them via their Customer support email.
Anyway, now I have this HR21 that can't be activated. Is this thing worth anything? Someone offered me $35 for it, I really don't know how to value it. Thank you, D:)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:16 AM

Front line CSR's cannot acuurately tell you if it is owned or not. You have to get to the access card team.

#3 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:52 AM

You need to talk to the access card dept to verify RID#'s before you purchase them. I would call back in and talk with a regular CSR, then immediately be asked to be transferred to the access card dept. Verify 100% with them that this is leased before you get rid of it.
If it is leased, you could either do the right thing and send it back to its owner (D*) or you could do the wrong thing and sell it to someone else and rip them off.

#4 OFFLINE   decapad

decapad

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:10 AM

Hello - I'm not trying to rip anyone off. I would tell them it can't be activated.
To reiterate, my first part of the post - I was just trying to help the readers of this forum to be sure they get it in WRITING from Directv that a rcvr can be activated.
Now my question (which still hasn't been answered) was the value of such a rcvr. Thank you

#5 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

Hello - I'm not trying to rip anyone off. I would tell them it can't be activated.
To reiterate, my first part of the post - I was just trying to help the readers of this forum to be sure they get it in WRITING from Directv that a rcvr can be activated.
Now my question (which still hasn't been answered) was the value of such a rcvr. Thank you

Have you called into the access card dept? If not, then do it now. If it is leased, the receiver has no value, $0, because it is stolen property.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...