Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What would you pay per month?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: What would you pay per month? (143 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you pay per month?

1. $200 or more (3 votes [2.10%])

Percentage of vote: 2.10%

2. $150 to < $200 (24 votes [16.78%])

Percentage of vote: 16.78%

3. $125 to < $150 (37 votes [25.87%])

Percentage of vote: 25.87%

4. $100 to < $125 (40 votes [27.97%])

Percentage of vote: 27.97%

5. less than $100 (18 votes [12.59%])

Percentage of vote: 12.59%

6. Would not consider this "package" at all (19 votes [13.29%])

Percentage of vote: 13.29%

7. Just looking (2 votes [1.40%])

Percentage of vote: 1.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:12 PM

At this point I would like to see a good basic plan with low price but that will never happen.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:12 PM

Well let's see with the current pricing and equipment what you are talking about pretty much would be the same functionality wise as:

Premier package: 115
HD Access: 10
DVR Fee: 7
MRV: 3
4 HD-DVRs mirror fees (4x6 - 6 = 18): $18
So a total cost of $153/month without any discounts.

So I wouldn't want to pay much more than that since the only thing you would really be gaining is the supposed missing channels, and the Nomad/streaming services. I'm still hoping that Nomad doesn't come with a monthly fee, but if it does it better be less than $5 a month or I won't be using it. I just don't travel that often. I'd rather it be a one time cost to buy the equipment and no fees after that. As far as the streaming stuff goes I don't know how much I'd be able to use it since my HughesNet internet would be worthless for it at home. I would say somewhere around $8-10/month is probably what they are thinking about for that service though since that would put them pretty much inline with Hulu+ and Netflix streaming plans.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#43 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:29 PM

I'm paying $150+ now so it would be fine. Still would need one more client though.

#44 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

I love the idea of all of the equipment but I don't need all of the programming. So, if you leave out any premium channels & even keep just the HD channels we now have, I'd pay what I'm paying now -- I think it is just under $100 before tax.

#45 OFFLINE   schlagle

schlagle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

This is a question of heavy-duty proportions. It is indeed a problem for us to 'probosculate' upon.

Today's pricing for a 4 TV setup:
Premier: $115
DVR: 7
MRV: 3
HD: Free
HD: Extra $5
3 receivers: $18
ToGOs: Free

Total: $148

Not counting the mythical additions of nomad and TV everywhere. Nor does it take into account any theoretical and mythical cost decreases for RVU technology rather than normal "mirrored/leased" receivers.

So thems that said anything over $150, DIRECTV marketing loves you. :)

Myself, I like the $139.99 price point, though I would like the $119.99 price point even better. :)

Cheers,
Tom

That's pretty much my identical setup, minus MRV, since I don't want to pay $250 to get it installed. After subtracting Extra Innings, Sunday Ticket (if they have it), PPV and taxes, I already pay $145 per month, so anything in that range would be great.

#46 OFFLINE   kymikes

kymikes

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:17 PM

Doug, didn't vote but FYI. This combo would fit my current hardware environment fairly well (2 DVR, 3 receivers) but this is where it doesn't fit:
1. Not a top 20 market so would have to keep OTA for subchannels (have 2 AM21's)
2. Have decided to drop all premium channels previously - not because I couldn't afford them but just wasn't getting the ROI
3. Concerned about storage on the HR34 - currently have 2 2TB esatas on the DVR's and they stay fairly full at busy times
4. Although I have an android phone and a Xoom in my arsenal of equipment, I find that I use virtually no "on the go" video watching so that takes away another feature
5. Have the concern about the 'vulnerability' on a single storage unit on the HR34 with the current 'married' to the receiver issue on saved recordings. I am currently 'scared' about losing the recordings on a 2 TB esata if the DVR dies. It would be even worse with a single point of failure. 'Married' to the account would fix this but . . .
6. The one point that I didn't see addressed is the 'step up' cost to migrate to a system like you described from what I currently have today. In all honestly, I don't have a clue how D* would approach this.

With the mismatches of proposed features to my personal needs, I would have a problem with much over $100 (not counting taxes and fees) which is most likely not a reasonable 'business case' for DirecTV.

Have a great weekend.

#47 OFFLINE   Raidertank

Raidertank

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:22 PM

I would pay up to $150 for this package
The comments that I present here are MY OWN. They do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#48 OFFLINE   Game Fan

Game Fan

Baseball Is Life

• DBSTalk Club
  • 739 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:55 PM

$125 - $150 for me.

#49 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,439 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:01 PM

The only thing there that would interest me over what I already have is the Nomad and the TV everywhere. I pay about $90 now and would consider an additional $20 maybe for those features: $110

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#50 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:04 PM

I would get it for $100-$125 just for the HR34 and the clients. I have no interest in premiums other than the ones I get now with Ultimate although Sports Pak being included would be a plus. I get all my subchannels OTA and am in a 50+ market so that would not effect me anyway. I have no I-anything, and my phone is DUMB, it lets me make phone calls and send text messages, and that is it. The HR34 would be awesome though, and little clients for each TV would be fun.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#51 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:10 PM

would be nice (esp BBCAHD):
All existing HD Channels + AMC, BBCA, and the few other holdouts that people whine about

Have no use for:

Subchannels in top 20 markets
All premiums in HD
HR34N+3 H30* with MRV (see below)
Single iOS app that combines the iPhone, iPad, and aggregates streams from HBOGO, MAXGO, Turner Everywhere, watchESPN, and DIRECTV's own TV Everywhere service* (see below)
Single Android app for select devices with the same functionality

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#52 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 810 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:27 PM

OK, let me start by saying ...
[*]HR34N+3 H30* with MRV (see below)
*HR34N is a mythical box that would be an HR34 with built-in Nomad

How many simultaneous recordings can I watch from the mythical HR34N?

If I'm going to dump 6 DVR's and move to a single master DVR, the 34 needs to be able to record 5+ items at once (I've seen 8 active recordings in list before), and I'm also going to need to be able to watch things from at least 4 of the H's at the same time. After 8PM in my house, everyone heads off to bed and they start watching recorded items in their room or from other DVR's in the house. So we usually have 4 to 5 people watching recorded content at night.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#53 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,902 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:44 PM

Realistically I went for the $150/$200.

But pocket-wise I couldn't afford it.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#54 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:01 PM

How many simultaneous recordings can I watch from the mythical HR34N?

If I'm going to dump 6 DVR's and move to a single master DVR, the 34 needs to be able to record 5+ items at once

And have a 3TB Raid system so if one drive fails, you dont lose all your recordings.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...