Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVR Backup

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   R DAVIS

R DAVIS

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:18 AM

My VIP622 died. Dish is sending me a new one, but I will lose all my recordings.

In the future I would like to back up my recordings with an external hard drive. Can I just go to Best Buy and purchase something that will work for that, and plug and play, or is there more to it than that ?

Must I pay another fee in addition to what I am now paying to Dish ? If so, is it a one time or monthly fee, and how much ?

My receiver and TV system are not connected to the internet.

Also, I've heard of a "sling box" on this forum, but have no idea what it is.

Help Mr. Wizard !

Thanks,
Randy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:36 AM

I believe the answers are Yes , less than 2 TB and single spindle and USB 2.0 , and no fee (now). There used to be one, and it's possible that Dish may have to hit your account to enable it, but it is not supposed to be a fee anymore.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:57 AM

External USB as above - but make sure you get one powered by AC adapter NOT USB powered.

#4 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:15 AM

There isn't a charge to activate the USB port on the receiver. As scooper has stated, it has to be a single spindle, USB 2.0 (have seen 3.0 work on some), needs its own power source (not USB powered), and 50GB to 2 TB in size.

When you receive your replacement 622 receiver, you can PM our DIRT team to add the code to your account or call our CS department. If you have any problems setting up your replacement receiver, I can also assist you.

#5 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:35 PM

Dish sells some EHD's as well.

#6 OFFLINE   ssmark

ssmark

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:45 PM

Any idea when they took out the one time fees to enable external HDD? I talked to them a few weeks ago and they still charged for it. $39.95, I think.

#7 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 360 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:03 PM

Any idea when they took out the one time fees to enable external HDD? I talked to them a few weeks ago and they still charged for it. $39.95, I think.

If you are adding to an existing DVR VIP612, 622, or 722 models there is no charge to add an EHD. If you are converting a VIP211 to a DVR with the use of EHD, there is a 1x account level charge of $40.00.

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday-Wednesday 2:30pm-11:00pm, Thursday 1:30pm-10:00pm (MST)

#8 OFFLINE   sideswipe

sideswipe

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:31 AM

Dish sells some EHD's as well.

log into your online account & you will see a 500gb for $64 - same unit on newegg.com is $6 more im sure you may beat the price by looking more but Dish does seem to make this 1 simple

#9 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:38 AM

Any idea when they took out the one time fees to enable external HDD?

2-1-11 for DVR archival.

I talked to them a few weeks ago and they still charged for it. $39.95, I think.

That would be to convert a non-DVR 211/411/211k into a DVR.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#10 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:59 AM

I just bought a 2Tb for $79
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#11 OFFLINE   dare2be

dare2be

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:59 AM

I just bought a 2Tb for $79

Where? I got a WD Elements 2TB for $70 on Black Friday, but haven't found anything close to that since.

Edited by dare2be, 17 July 2011 - 08:05 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   Cold Irons

Cold Irons

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:04 AM

Keep in mind that this is not really a "backup" in the normal meaning of the word. You move the shows from the DVR to the USB drive. Therefore the shows still only exist in one place; if the USB drive goes belly-up, you still lose the recordings. There is no way to do a real backup of your recordings.
Dish: DVR 501/722/622 - with Gold HD + OTA CM4228
"She said: You can't repeat the past."
"I said: You can't? Whattya mean you can't...of course you can."

#13 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:59 AM

Keep in mind that this is not really a "backup" in the normal meaning of the word. You move the shows from the DVR to the USB drive. Therefore the shows still only exist in one place; if the USB drive goes belly-up, you still lose the recordings. There is no way to do a real backup of your recordings.

That's not right.
If you have a Unix box of any type or NFS extentions for your Windows computer you can backup the DishArc folder on the EHD, and create a backup, that you can restore to a new EHD if one fails. Do a search on DishArc, lots of help on how to do this, but its pretty simple.

#14 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:25 AM

It also doesn't lend itself to transferring them to a non-Dish device; you can only put them back onto a Dish EHD. DishARC hasn't been cracked, so don't go there either :P

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#15 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

It also doesn't lend itself to transferring them to a non-Dish device; you can only put them back onto a Dish EHD. DishARC hasn't been cracked, so don't go there either :P

I wouldn't even think about talking or covering how to hack and decrypt the DishArc folder. Just saying you can copy it, to a NFS partition, and back it up. You can then restore the folder back to a replacement EHD if needed. I have done this several times as we upgrade our individual EHD's in the family. We now have 4 2TB EHD's, one for each member of the family, and most have been upgraded 2-3 times, over the last few years. Search on DishArc, lots of info following those threads. You do have to pretty much copy the entire folder as each show has its own encrypted file name, and you can't tell what is what.

#16 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:46 AM

Where? I got a WD Elements 2TB for $70 on Black Friday, but haven't found anything close to that since.

I didn't say anything at first because I wasn't sure it had a separate power supply until I got it this morning. It does. And it comes with a USB cable.

http://www.tigerdire...rkey= S130-9000

#17 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

SayWhat?,

The installation is straight forward and easy for the EHD. Just plug the EHD into the USB port. The receiver will recognize the EHD and inform you it needs to format the drive. After it is formatted, it is ready to go. Below is the instructions for transferring recorded events to the EHD:

Receiver: 612, 622, 722, 722k
Press the DVR button on the remote control twice.
Select "My Media."
Highlight and select "USB Storage."
Select “Send to Device” to transfer recordings from the DVR to the EHD.
Select the movie you want to transfer.
Select “To Archive” to begin transfer.

#18 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

SayWhat?,

The installation is straight forward and easy for the EHD. Just plug the EHD into the USB port. The receiver will recognize the EHD and inform you it needs to format the drive. After it is formatted, it is ready to go. Below is the instructions for transferring recorded events to the EHD:

Receiver: 612, 622, 722, 722k
Press the DVR button on the remote control twice.
Select "My Media."
Highlight and select "USB Storage."
Select “Send to Device” to transfer recordings from the DVR to the EHD.
Select the movie you want to transfer.
Select “To Archive” to begin transfer.

Ray, the next time you might also want to mention that if you have things on that drive they will be lost in the process.

Just to be safe.

Cheers
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#19 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:08 PM

Not using it for that since I have an older Dish box. I'm using it on a PC, but from what's been said above, it looks like this drive should work for others as an EHD.

#20 OFFLINE   dare2be

dare2be

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

I didn't say anything at first because I wasn't sure it had a separate power supply until I got it this morning. It does. And it comes with a USB cable.

http://www.tigerdire...rkey= S130-9000

Same price at Amazon but with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.co...K/dp/B002BH4ONE

However, the sheer number of negative reviews steered me away. Perhaps they are older reviews and they got the problem fixed.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...