Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Couple Install Questions

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   msoldan

msoldan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:16 PM

My father-in-law recently purchased a 3LNB Slimline satellite dish from Craigslist to install at his lakehouse. I'm going to help him install and align the dish, but wanted to check and make sure that we had all of the proper equipment to get it installed. I am planning on taking my R22-100 down to hook up for the alignment of the dish. I have a SWM install at home. However, I still have the bbc's and possibly the 5LNB that was on my old install. First, are there any restrictions that the 3LNB will have? If I remember correctly, we will need the bbc's on any install that's not SWM? Will the Slimline with the 5LNB (or 3LNB) offer the same channels as the SWM install I have at my house? Second, do we need a multiswitch if we are only using one receiver to install/align the dish? I did the conversion of mine to SWM, but did alot of research at the time and haven't paid much attention to it since. I just want to make sure that we have everything we need prior to making the trip to install it. Any tips would also be appreciated. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,658 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

If the dish your father-in-law bought is not SWiM, then you will need to get your R22 reset to "multiswitch" mode in order to see anything from the dish. That can sometimes be a challenge. Go back through satellite setup. Might have to try a couple of times. When you go back home, it should automatically revert back to the SWM operation.

The 3LNB does not receive the 119 satellite, which carries some of the Spanish language channels and a few of the music (sonic tap) channels. In selected markets, local SD channels are also on the 119.

You will not need a multiswitch, there are four coax outputs on the regular dish, and you run one coax to each tuner (two coax to a dvr). A SWM dish has one output which can be split and fed to multiple receivers, and you only use one coax per box (even if it is a DVR).

#3 OFFLINE   msoldan

msoldan

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you mentioned resetting my receiver to multiswitch, I wouldn't have even thought about it. So, I need to connect the receiver to the LNB and then go through satellite setup before I can check the signal strength meters?

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,658 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you mentioned resetting my receiver to multiswitch, I wouldn't have even thought about it. So, I need to connect the receiver to the LNB and then go through satellite setup before I can check the signal strength meters?

Yeah, and it's kind of a catch 22, because the receiver is going to want a satellite signal, and of course you are trying to reconfigure the receiver to use it to find a satellite signal. Investing in an inexpensive signal meter might be worth while, then you can at least get the dish aligned to something first.

#5 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:23 AM

at sat setup screen change it accordingly then go immediatly to signal strength for aiming the dish, do not hit continue

#6 OFFLINE   msoldan

msoldan

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:21 AM

Sorry, I should've mentioned that the LNBs are not SWM. However, I did find the SL5 that I previously had installed at home. Is there anything gained by installing the SL5 instead of his SL3 that came with his dish? Also, I have one more question or more of a clarification. The SL3/SL5 have 4 ports, could I run each of these ports to a receiver and that would be fine? Does a multiswitch just allow you to connect more than 4 receivers? I ran across a WB68 that I had. I'm assuming that this just allows me to turn the 4 LNB ports into 8 total connections? Thanks again for all of the help. Its crazy how much you can forget or get behind on if you don't keep up with it.

#7 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,372 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

Sorry, I should've mentioned that the LNBs are not SWM. However, I did find the SL5 that I previously had installed at home. Is there anything gained by installing the SL5 instead of his SL3 that came with his dish? Also, I have one more question or more of a clarification. The SL3/SL5 have 4 ports, could I run each of these ports to a receiver and that would be fine? Does a multiswitch just allow you to connect more than 4 receivers? I ran across a WB68 that I had. I'm assuming that this just allows me to turn the 4 LNB ports into 8 total connections? Thanks again for all of the help. Its crazy how much you can forget or get behind on if you don't keep up with it.

1. Using the SL5 LNB instead of the SL3 will also provide reception of the 110 and 119º satellites. That's not really needed in your area unless you want to subscribe to Spanish channel package. And it does make the dish a bit trickier to align.

2. Unless you need more than four coax cable connections, you don't need an external multiswitch. Just run cables from the dish's LNB outputs to each Receiver and DVR. DVRs need two cables if you want to use both tuners.

3. Right, multiswitch just gives you more than four outputs. Eight with the Zinwell WB68. You don't need it unless you need more than the dish's four outputs.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#8 OFFLINE   msoldan

msoldan

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:38 AM

1. Using the SL5 LNB instead of the SL3 will also provide reception of the 110 and 119º satellites. That's not really needed in your area unless you want to subscribe to Spanish channel package. And it does make the dish a bit trickier to align.

2. Unless you need more than four coax cable connections, you don't need an external multiswitch. Just run cables from the dish's LNB outputs to each Receiver and DVR. DVRs need two cables if you want to use both tuners.

3. Right, multiswitch just gives you more than four outputs. Eight with the Zinwell WB68. You don't need it unless you need more than the dish's four outputs.

Thanks for the answers. That helps clear things up.

#9 OFFLINE   msoldan

msoldan

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:25 PM

at sat setup screen change it accordingly then go immediatly to signal strength for aiming the dish, do not hit continue

We located a strong signal by changing my receiver to Slimline 3 and multiswitch in the sat setup but when I select continue to finish the sat setup, the status bar moves continuously for as long as 15 minutes without anything happening. Is this normal and if not, any suggestions on what might be the problem. Thanks.

#10 OFFLINE   mqhaudio

mqhaudio

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

If you need to borrow an alignment tool, I am a local dealer/installer. We go down to Lake of the ozarks every now and then if that is where your in-laws house is.
Independent Directv Dealer, I can guarantee you things that corporate can not.
mqhaudio@yahoo.com

#11 OFFLINE   msoldan

msoldan

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:14 PM

If you need to borrow an alignment tool, I am a local dealer/installer. We go down to Lake of the ozarks every now and then if that is where your in-laws house is.

While I appreciate the offer I don't think it's an alignment issue since our signal strength is in the mid nineties. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

#12 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,372 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:57 PM

We located a strong signal by changing my receiver to Slimline 3 and multiswitch in the sat setup but when I select continue to finish the sat setup, the status bar moves continuously for as long as 15 minutes without anything happening. Is this normal and if not, any suggestions on what might be the problem. Thanks.

You might still be aimed at the wrong satellite. Look at the signal readings from the 101º satellite. You should see high readings on most all of the transponders, 1-32, with readings up in the high 80-90s. If you only see three transponders (28, 30, and 32), then you're aimed at the 110ºW satellite and will need to rotate your dish about 9º to the east. If you only see readings on transponders 22-32, then you're aimed at the 119ºW satellite and will need to rotate your dish about 18º to the east.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21

#13 OFFLINE   msoldan

msoldan

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:22 AM

You might still be aimed at the wrong satellite. Look at the signal readings from the 101º satellite. You should see high readings on most all of the transponders, 1-32, with readings up in the high 80-90s. If you only see three transponders (28, 30, and 32), then you're aimed at the 110ºW satellite and will need to rotate your dish about 9º to the east. If you only see readings on transponders 22-32, then you're aimed at the 119ºW satellite and will need to rotate your dish about 18º to the east.

We were aimed at the correct satellite. The problem was, as carl6 mentioned, that the receiver was being extremely difficult about accepting the changes back to non SWM. After going thru the setup around 10 times, I finally just decided to completely reset the receiver. That finally did the trick and everything worked fine. I'm just mildly annoyed that I had to erase my recordings to accomplish a temporary change. I really appreciate all of the help offered from this forum. Its nice to have a resource like this. Thanks again.

I do have an additional question after getting everything installed. We used a buried line from the dish to the house. If we want to run 2 receivers in the house, can I connect the single input to my WB68 and then run out from that to the 2 receivers? My thought is that if the WB68 turns 4 connections into 8, would it turn 1 into 2 or does it take more than one connection from the dish to the multiswitch to accomplish my goal? We would prefer to not have to bury another line and as much as SWM would alleviate the issue, we pretty much have what we need to make it work without spending more money. Thanks.

Edited by msoldan, 25 July 2011 - 10:30 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,372 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:53 PM

I do have an additional question after getting everything installed. We used a buried line from the dish to the house. If we want to run 2 receivers in the house, can I connect the single input to my WB68 and then run out from that to the 2 receivers? My thought is that if the WB68 turns 4 connections into 8, would it turn 1 into 2 or does it take more than one connection from the dish to the multiswitch to accomplish my goal? We would prefer to not have to bury another line and as much as SWM would alleviate the issue, we pretty much have what we need to make it work without spending more money. Thanks.

No, that's not how multiswitches work. All four dish outputs must connect to the four SAT INPUTs on the mutiswitch or none of the multiswitch outputs will have all of the channels from all satellites.

If you have fewer than 8 tuners, you could swap the dish's LNB assembly with a Single Wire Multiswitch version. Then only one cable is needed into the house, where a SWM-compatible splitter can feed up to eight SWM-compatible DVR/Receiver tuners. And it would also simplify the swap from your home to the lake house, since both dish's will be similar.

spam firewall