Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Multiple DVR problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   decapad

decapad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:25 AM

Hi - I just switched to a HR20 from a standard def box & it created a problem - I hope you can help. I have 6 rcvrs. They are HR24, 2 HR20, 1 H24, 1 H21 & 1 standard def box. This week I installed an HR20 & returned a std def box to make up the rcvrs listed above. The problem is since I installed the second HR20, the H24 is getting satellite errors. Code # 49-304, too many rcvrs. Or Problems communicating with satellite error message. All the other rcvrs work fine & are able to see all the different DVR's, The HR20's I have the DECA attached (to Sat 1 in), they are the HR20-700's. I tried resetting it, checked all the connections, nothing that simple worked. Do you have any suggestions to help get the H24 up & running? Thank you very much, D:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:50 AM

You've gone over your eight tuner limit (3 DVRs + 3 receivers = 9 tuners).

You either need to configure one of the DVRs for a single tuner or step up to a SWM-16 with a legacy LNB.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:58 AM

drop the sd box.
do not say if you are on swm lnb or using swm8.
if using the swm8 swm16 is a drop in, if using swm lnb you are stuck at 8 tuners unless you change lnb and run 4 lines to swm16.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

drop the sd box.
do not say if you are on swm lnb or using swm8.
if using the swm8 swm16 is a drop in, if using swm lnb you are stuck at 8 tuners unless you change lnb and run 4 lines to swm16.

The SD can use one of the legacy ports. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   decapad

decapad

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:19 AM

Great - boy you guys know so much more than Directv tech support. Pardon my ignorace - but this " SD box legacy port" could that solve this problem? If so - what exactly do I need to do?

#6 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:26 AM

Pardon my ignorace - but this " SD box legacy port" could that solve this problem? If so - what exactly do I need to do?

The legacy port is only found on certain outboard SWiM multiswitches (as opposed to the SWiM LNB assembly that most have). You probably don't have one but will need one to make all of your equipment work to its capacity. DIRECTV should have figured this out and set you up.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:27 AM

The SWM8 multiswitch has three legacy ports on it that can feed an SD receiver or DVR. This is an external device (not the SWM LNB assembly). In order to use the SWM8, you need a regular LNB (with 4 coax output). All 4 coax go to the inputs of the SWM8. Then you use the SWM output of the SWM8 to feed your HD units, and the legacy output to feed your SD unit.

If you have an SWM LNB (one coax out), you cannot exceed 8 tuners total.

Edited by carl6, 19 July 2011 - 02:00 PM.
Corrected two legacy ports to three legacy ports.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:28 AM

Great - boy you guys know so much more than Directv tech support. Pardon my ignorace - but this " SD box legacy port" could that solve this problem? If so - what exactly do I need to do?

First you need to know which type of SWiM you have.
Is there only one coax coming from the dish? If so then this is a SWiM LNB and you're limited to eight tuners.
If there are four cables that go to a SWM8, then there are three "extra" ports for SD receivers as seen on the left here:

Posted Image
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   decapad

decapad

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:37 PM

Once again - thank you all. For the moment - I would like to configure the HR 20 to a "single" tuner- just to get things working now. I went to the set up menu & selected "not shared" thinking that may be how to configure it as a single tuner. Sadly - it isn't working. How do I make it a "single" tuner please. D:):)

#10 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,842 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:43 PM

In Setup Menu/Sat & Antenna

Repeat Satellite Setup
Then you can select one or two tuners

#11 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:44 PM

sat setup

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#12 OFFLINE   decapad

decapad

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:36 PM

Perfect - you guys couldn't have been more helpful, special thanks to all! D:)

#13 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:04 AM

The SD can use one of the legacy ports. ;)

yup but did not want to complicate it w/o knowing what swm setup was.

Perfect - you guys couldn't have been more helpful, special thanks to all! D:)

if you tell us what you have for swm (lnb or distinct module) the people here can set you up in a hurry.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

spam firewall