Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Free Showtime -- What's going on?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 614 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:53 PM

Was just looking at my account on the DTV website and saw this on the Account Overview page:
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just checked and sure enough, I'm getting Showtime, although I've never subscribed to it. Reviewing my bill doesn't show any mention of Showtime, either.

I thought maybe this was an anniversary gift that they hadn't bothered to tell me about, but to the best of my recollection, my anniversary month is not 'til September or October. Can't find anything in my account info indicating an anniversary gift (or even my start date to confirm my anniversary month).

Anybody got a clue?
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

...did you call and ask them?
DTV = Digital Television

#3 ONLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,112 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:27 PM

Just checked and sure enough, I'm getting Showtime, although I've never subscribed to it. Reviewing my bill doesn't show any mention of Showtime, either.

I thought maybe this was an anniversary gift that they hadn't bothered to tell me about, but to the best of my recollection, my anniversary month is not 'til September or October. Can't find anything in my account info indicating an anniversary gift (or even my start date to confirm my anniversary month).

Anybody got a clue?

My guess is you are getting 3 free month as your anniversary gift. The last time I received this - I received a post card in the mail just about 2 weeks before it ended telling me what a wonderful customer I am and enjoy my gift.

This year for my 17th anniversary with DirecTV, I received $5.00 off 1 billing cycle

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#4 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:47 PM

The DirecTV web site said "tell us how you are enjoying your free gift" even thought I hadn't gotten one. So a CSR gave me free Showtime for TWO months. Whoppee. I think I've watched 3 movies since the programming on Showtime is so awful. Do people actually pay full price for this premium channel??

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:56 PM

Do people actually pay full price for this premium channel??

I do for about half the year (during Dexter, The Tudors, Nurse Jackie, and United States of Tara)

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#6 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:59 PM

i use all them networks like showtime , hbo , starz not for there movies but for there tvshows like Dexter,Weeds,True Blood and alot more, them networks are not only movies anymore

#7 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:02 PM

My guess is you are getting 3 free month as your anniversary gift. The last time I received this - I received a post card in the mail just about 2 weeks before it ended telling me what a wonderful customer I am and enjoy my gift.

This year for my 17th anniversary with DirecTV, I received $5.00 off 1 billing cycle

Yeah... the first year year I received Showtime, I was 2 months into my 3 free months before I was notified I had it. Luckily, I had stumbled onto it after a month. The second year, I was ready for it, and was notified a month into the three free months.

This year for my "fictional" 6th year with DirecTV (it's really 16 years), I got a free PPV movie. I threw the info away...

I guess I shouldn't complain about their notice for my "free gift" though, as I was told when I first called about upgrading some of my equipment in anticipation of locals launching that DirecTV would notify me of locals launching. They never did...

I do for about half the year (during Dexter, The Tudors, Nurse Jackie, and United States of Tara)

You can scratch USoT off the list (cancelled!)...

~Alan

#8 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:51 PM

Same here - only in it for their self-produced series. But they've gotten clever about it. Seems like they never stop one interesting series before they start up another a couple weeks later. Makes it hard to just subscribe part of the year like I used to!

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, Optical Audio to Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 3.41/.71 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#9 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:54 PM

You can scratch USoT off the list (cancelled!)..

Doh, must have missed that news.

I liked that it ran at the same time as Nurse Jackie, so the cost of Showtime was worth it for both shows. Might have to reevaluate now.

#10 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

Same here - only in it for their self-produced series. But they've gotten clever about it. Seems like they never stop one interesting series before they start up another a couple weeks later. Makes it hard to just subscribe part of the year like I used to!

Sneaky devils... :D

Doh, must have missed that news.

I liked that it ran at the same time as Nurse Jackie, so the cost of Showtime was worth it for both shows. Might have to reevaluate now.

Lionsgate has been releasing NJ on Blu-ray, and are quite reasonable. There would be a wait involved, but if it's all you care about at the time, that's an alternative.

~Alan

#11 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:13 PM

yep, don't think I'll pay $12 per month just for NJ next time. Will have to wait to watch.

#12 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:28 AM

The DirecTV web site said "tell us how you are enjoying your free gift" even thought I hadn't gotten one. So a CSR gave me free Showtime for TWO months. Whoppee. I think I've watched 3 movies since the programming on Showtime is so awful. Do people actually pay full price for this premium channel??

Gladly. Lots of HD movies on Showtime and The Movie Channel that you can't find elsewhere.

Yes, many of them are awful. That's part of the fun of being a movie fan.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#13 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 614 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:33 AM

...did you call and ask them?

.. and the reason I would call and alert them to a possible mistake at their end would be ... ??
HR24-500, HR22-100

#14 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 614 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:35 AM

I agree it is most likely an anniversary award. Can anyone point me to where I would find my anniversary date on the DTV website?
HR24-500, HR22-100

#15 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 614 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:48 AM

Either I missed it last night, or it wasn't there yet, but today I see this:

Thank you for being a loyal DIRECTV customer since 1997

Let us know how you're enjoying your FREE gift. Remember to check your email for other exclusive offers from DIRECTV.

HR24-500, HR22-100

#16 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:03 AM

I agree it is most likely an anniversary award. Can anyone point me to where I would find my anniversary date on the DTV website?

It's not on the website....you need to call or email to find that out.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#17 ONLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,112 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:41 AM

I don't think you necessarily get your anniversary gift during your anniversary. When I was getting the FREE SHOWTIME, it started in mid-May while my actual anniversary is July 31st. The $5.00 credit I received this year for an anniversary gift came off my June billing cycle.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#18 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:37 AM

1 year of free Showtime/Movie Channel was my 5th anniversary gift.

#19 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:15 PM

I got a year of free Showtime in May and caught the last episode of the Borgias. So far they haven't had any more, I wonder when they will start the re-runs?

#20 OFFLINE   rich67

rich67

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:38 PM

The only problem with this unnotified free gift is, at the end, if you don't cancel it, they start billing you for it.

spam firewall