Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722 lost programming

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wvorih

wvorih

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

The power was off on my 722 for two months while I was out of the country. When I returned, all my channels said...Program not Authorized. It was as though there was no card in the receiver, but of course this receiver does not use a card. Stopping and restarting did no good. I had to call up Dish and get the receiver 'Hit" again and then all was OK again.

My question is.....Why does Dish remove my programming after a long period of being unplugged? How do they know I was unconnected? I do not think the satellite knows if I am receiving or not so is the receiver programmed to require a re-hit after a long period of disuse?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:09 PM

The receiver will try to pull data down from the satellites nightly for its nightly update.

Eventually, if left long enough... 30 days might be it, 2 months definitely crosses it... the receiver deactivates itself due to lack of connection to the satellites.

As you discovered, it requires calling in to have them re-activate again.

IF your power was out for 2 months... were you paying the whole bill? I hope you put the account on hold and weren't paying the whole bill during those 2 months when you weren't watching TV.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 566 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:56 PM

Your receiver (the smart card actually) gets channel authorizations every now and then (couldn't say how long, maybe a few times a month) that tells the it what channels you are allowed to view. All of your channels authorized on your smart card have an "end" date, so if it misses the update that extends/reauthorizes the channel, you eventually get the "not authorized" messages (being unplugged means it will definitely miss the updates).

A "hit" does fix this though.

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#4 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:28 PM

It's like a coma for a human. ;)

#5 OFFLINE   wvorih

wvorih

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:44 PM

Thanks guys, it is always interesting to better understand how DISH is manipulating us ;-)

#6 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:13 PM

Thanks guys, it is always interesting to better understand how DISH is manipulating us ;-)

Ummm...?

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

How is Dish manipulating you?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:59 PM

Capturing minds - who are stick to a couch and squeeze remote for hours. :D

#9 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:28 PM

I resemble that remark.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

Protected By... spam firewall...And...