Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Apartment install question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kage

Kage

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:45 AM

Hello folks first time posting here but I've been following these boards for a while.

I'm getting a movers done soon and while my apartment patio is in a good position for LOS, I'm concerned about how the tech will be able to get the line into my apartment.

My Landlord will not allow drilling of any kind. the only other solution I'm familiar with is flat cables. My patio door is just a regular style door (not the sliding type) and closes pretty tight around all the edges.

There is a window to the patio but I'm not sure a cable could be run under it w/out preventing it from closing. Any thoughts?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:52 AM

Flat cable or keeping a window slightly open would seem to be your best alternatives. You could get some weatherstripping to fill the gap if you chose.

and... :welcome_s to DBSTalk!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,425 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:53 AM

Open the window.
Cut a 2x2 the width of the window.
Drill a 3/8" hole in 2x2 to run cable thru.
Can weatherproof if needed.
Use another piece to "jam" window closed if needed for security.

When you move out it all goes away.:D

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#4 OFFLINE   e4123

e4123

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:08 PM

I'm using flat cables and can still get the window to close. The weather proofing at the bottom of the window has "scrunched" to accomidate the window lock. I do like doctorj's idea however.
DTV subscriber since 1998 (Originally via Peagsus/NRTC/USSB) .. Fun times
HR24-100 -> Panasonic TC-P50S2
Onkyo - TX-DS777
HR24-500 + Cisco WET610N-> Panasonic TC-32LX24
R.I.P. Knut

#5 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:49 PM

Hello folks first time posting here but I've been following these boards for a while.

I'm getting a movers done soon and while my apartment patio is in a good position for LOS, I'm concerned about how the tech will be able to get the line into my apartment.

My Landlord will not allow drilling of any kind. the only other solution I'm familiar with is flat cables. My patio door is just a regular style door (not the sliding type) and closes pretty tight around all the edges.

There is a window to the patio but I'm not sure a cable could be run under it w/out preventing it from closing. Any thoughts?

Your better off with the swing door vs the slider. The flat cable would be run through the hinge side. The doors weather striping will conform around it.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#6 OFFLINE   Kage

Kage

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for the tips, I actually seem to have overestimated the tightness of the door. I tried shutting it on a piece of CAT5 cable I had lying around and it made it through w/out creasing.

Hopefully the thicker coax can do the same.

#7 OFFLINE   satguy801

satguy801

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:47 PM

I have been using this flat coax cable that is working great for me. I have never had a issue shutting the window

#8 OFFLINE   Kage

Kage

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

So the techs arrive and first thing one of them says is "got some bad news for you" and starts trying to explain why I can't get LOS w/out even checking. (so pessimistic these guys)

After some prodding I got him to do a actual sight survey and found that we could indeed get signal.
So I got up and running and even got a SWM dish woo!
Wasn't expecting that as I only have 1 HR20 but I'm not complaining :D.

The flat cable is working well and I'm up and running.

Now the only problem is figuring out what to watch. Having "survived" on OTA and Netflix for the last 18 mo I have to get used to having "real" TV again :).

Thanks for all the awesome info.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...