Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Digital TV

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bounderdon

bounderdon

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:07 PM

I have a new Vizio LCD LED HDTV with a R-15 DirecTV receiver. If I set the screen mode in anything other than normal I get a distorted picture. In the normal mode the picture is less than a full screen. Is the only solution to this problem a HD receiver? I have HD on another TV so the proper dish is available for a HD receiver. Also, will a HD receiver work OK if connected to a round 18" dish?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,148 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:38 PM

SD uses an aspect ratio of 4:3 (pretty much the "square" picture). HD normally uses 16:9 (the wide screen picture). No matter what you do to adjust the 4:3 ratio picture to a wide screen, something is not going to be right. Either you will stretch the picture, or oversize it so parts are not showing.

You won't get HD channels with a round dish. If you already have the proper dish, why the question about the round dish?

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,682 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

.... Is the only solution to this problem a HD receiver? ...

Yes.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:59 PM

And why exactly do you have an SD receiver connected to a brand new expensive HDTV? You need an HR24 HD DVR connected with an HDMI cable to the HDTV. You need a new slimline SWM dish. An 18" round dish will not work with HD at all. There are no HD channels on the 101 satellite.

#5 OFFLINE   bounderdon

bounderdon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

Regarding the question about the round dish, I take this receiver with me when I travel in my RV and it only has the round dish. If the HD receiver will not work with the round dish then I will leave things as they are and live with the smaller picture.

#6 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:50 PM

Regarding the question about the round dish, I take this receiver with me when I travel in my RV and it only has the round dish. If the HD receiver will not work with the round dish then I will leave things as they are and live with the smaller picture.

So why exactly did you spend $100's on a new LED HDTV then? That makes no sense. It's like buying a Ferrari and not driving over 10 miles per hour because you are too cheap to buy gas for it. You would be better served with a CRT TV from 1995. Buy an SD receiver (D12) and turn it on/off as you need for for the RV. Get an HD DVR for your house and a new slimline SWM system.

#7 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:42 PM

Yes, all HD receivers except for the H25 will work with an 18" round dish. They will only receive SD channels though.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#8 OFFLINE   HiDefRev

HiDefRev

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts
  • LocationWaycross, GA

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:43 AM

Indeed. Buying an HDTV and not getting HD programming is quite irrational. Seriously, you're much better off with an old CRT TV. SD programming on an HDTV looks like crap compared to HD programming. Do yourself a GIANT favor and get the HD receiver and a new dish. You'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

THEATER ROOM
Samsung PN69F55000 60" 3D Plasma HDTV, Samsung BD-F5900 3D Blu-ray Player, DirecTv HR44 Genie System, Onkyo TX-NR626 7.2  3D AV Receiver, BIC DV84 Front Tower Speakers, BIC DV62si Side and Surround Speakers, BIC DV62CLR-S Center Channel Speaker, BIC RtR EV1200 Subwoofers x2, Monoprice Cables

#9 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:19 AM

Yes, all HD receivers except for the H25 will work with an 18" round dish. They will only receive SD channels though.

Technically you can, if you used a swm multi switch.

Edited by Shades228, 21 July 2011 - 12:21 PM.
fixed a typo

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   bounderdon

bounderdon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:27 AM

I purchased a HD TV because my old analog TV crapped out. It's located in the bedroom. I have HD TV in the living room so I'm good to go if I get a new HD receiver for the bedroom. Rather than spend the money for a HD receiver for a TV that doesn't get much use, I would keep the R15 receiver if I could improve the picture since it is the receiver I use in the RV. Since I cannot, and since apparently the HD receiver will work OK in the RV, that is the way I will go. Thanks to all for your help,

Don

Protected By... spam firewall...And...