Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Getting Whole Home Setup Today - Any Tips?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:08 AM

It can work as the OP describes. Not the most elegant solution though. I've been a similar config for nearly a year.

RG6 line in->CCK-W->HR21-700
CCK-W->HR21-700 ethernet
CCK-W wireless to home network.

In my case the CCK-W is serving dual purpose. Its acting as a receiver deca for the HR21, and it's acting as a wireless bridge connecting the deca network to the outside world.

The OP should remove the ethernet jumper from his HR24 and the CCK-W, and reboot the box to restore the internal deca. That may help with his dropouts.

You've left out the BSF between the CCK-W and HR21-700.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,057 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:19 AM

You've left out the BSF between the CCK-W and HR21-700.

That may be why the OP is experiencing issues with the same setup, though unnecessary to use in his case.

The strong DECA signal is probably interfering with the satellite SWiM signal to the HR24.

#23 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:37 AM

That may be why the OP is experiencing issues with the same setup, though unnecessary to use in his case.

The strong DECA signal is probably interfering with the satellite SWiM signal to the HR24.

It's more the SAT tuner chip than the "SWiM signal", as they both normally coexist on the same line.
A.K.A VOS

#24 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,057 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

It's more the SAT tuner chip than the "SWiM signal", as they both normally coexist on the same line.

After thinking about it, perhaps so; :sure:

Even with the internal DECA on the HR24 disabled in lieu of the ethernet connection, the internal filtering action of the DECA signal from the satellite SWiM signal at the tuner should still remain.

So forget about my earlier suggestion as to this probable cause of the OP's issues.

#25 OFFLINE   Insomniac2k

Insomniac2k

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

I have looked around outside and had someone check out what is wired up downstairs. What a mess outside! There are so many lines that aren't even in use out there.

As far as I can tell, there is 1 line run to a 1 to 4 box from the Dish. There are no markings on the box, it's is just a beige color.

(There is also at least one ground, part of the mess left behind is 7 (7!) coaxial cables coming out of the Dish. 4 I assume were the old lines which now just end at a dead end. 1 is the new line to the 1 to 4 splitter. The last 2 head towards ground.)

From the 1 to 4 splitter, it connects to the original pairs of coaxial cable that headed to SD Tivos 4 years ago.

Now I have the HR20-700 upstairs and one coax goes to the SWM Power Inverter and the other goes to the DECA Adapter. The DECA Adapter has a coax to Sat 1 and Ethernet connected up.

Downstairs is a HR24. One line goes to Sat 1 and the other goes to the WCCK. Ethernet connects the WCCK to the HR24. The termination cap is on the WCCK.

As far as I know, I'm not having any trouble with MRV or Internet connectivity on the receivers. My problem is with network shares between other devices. I started to check on the DirecTV stuff because the problems started then and I know way back there was a compatibility issue between Popcorn Hour devices and HR-2X receivers. So I wanted to see if I could remove the receivers from my home network and just have MRV with no external access to see if my network share problem went away.

Now I may be discovering a lot of things were not done right. As you can see from this thread, the installer didn't know what he was doing.

Edit: I also see the following additional note in my system info screen (HR20-700). "To enable coax networking, disconnect the ethernet cable from your receiver and reboot."

Edit 2:
So my questions:
1. Does that wiring seem right (aside from the WCCK)?
2. Can the HR20-700 work with just coax networking as the note indicates (I don't see much of a reason to just connect up more than is necessary)?
3. Should the installers have left so much wiring/gear behind outside of the house?
4. If I just run the coax straight to the HR24, doesn't that take the DVRs off my home network completely, but leave MRV?

Finally, not specifically helpful to me now, but it seems like DirecTV has made an effort to make the run from the Dish to the house the same as the run from the telephone pole to the house for cable companies. And since the receivers/DVRs only need one line, you could use all the wiring already in your house. Is this right?

I appreciate everyone's help explaining and teaching me what's what.

Edited by Insomniac2k, 22 August 2011 - 06:51 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   Insomniac2k

Insomniac2k

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:08 PM

I made a couple edits, and maybe no one noticed since it didn't push the thread up. (Not that it needs to be visible, but at least appear to have more information.)

#27 OFFLINE   Insomniac2k

Insomniac2k

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:28 PM

I have looked around outside and had someone check out what is wired up downstairs. What a mess outside! There are so many lines that aren't even in use out there.

As far as I can tell, there is 1 line run to a 1 to 4 box from the Dish. There are no markings on the box, it's is just a beige color.

(There is also at least one ground, part of the mess left behind is 7 (7!) coaxial cables coming out of the Dish. 4 I assume were the old lines which now just end at a dead end. 1 is the new line to the 1 to 4 splitter. The last 2 head towards ground.)

From the 1 to 4 splitter, it connects to the original pairs of coaxial cable that headed to SD Tivos 4 years ago.

Now I have the HR20-700 upstairs and one coax goes to the SWM Power Inverter and the other goes to the DECA Adapter. The DECA Adapter has a coax to Sat 1 and Ethernet connected up.

Downstairs is a HR24. One line goes to Sat 1 and the other goes to the WCCK. Ethernet connects the WCCK to the HR24. The termination cap is on the WCCK.

As far as I know, I'm not having any trouble with MRV or Internet connectivity on the receivers. My problem is with network shares between other devices. I started to check on the DirecTV stuff because the problems started then and I know way back there was a compatibility issue between Popcorn Hour devices and HR-2X receivers. So I wanted to see if I could remove the receivers from my home network and just have MRV with no external access to see if my network share problem went away.

Now I may be discovering a lot of things were not done right. As you can see from this thread, the installer didn't know what he was doing.

Edit: I also see the following additional note in my system info screen (HR20-700). "To enable coax networking, disconnect the ethernet cable from your receiver and reboot."

Edit 2:
So my questions:
1. Does that wiring seem right (aside from the WCCK)?
2. Can the HR20-700 work with just coax networking as the note indicates (I don't see much of a reason to just connect up more than is necessary)?
3. Should the installers have left so much wiring/gear behind outside of the house?
4. If I just run the coax straight to the HR24, doesn't that take the DVRs off my home network completely, but leave MRV?

Finally, not specifically helpful to me now, but it seems like DirecTV has made an effort to make the run from the Dish to the house the same as the run from the telephone pole to the house for cable companies. And since the receivers/DVRs only need one line, you could use all the wiring already in your house. Is this right?

I appreciate everyone's help explaining and teaching me what's what.

Anyone?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...