Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

carpet installers moved everything...help me put it back

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jangelj

jangelj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:54 AM

I have a fairly easy setup (I think). I have an HR24, HR21, and a SD receiver (not sure what model).

The carpet installers disconnected everything and I am not sure exactly how it goes back.

I have a single-wire coming from the dish. I have a 4 way splitter, a power inserter and a DecaBB that I am not sure how to hook up. I have a Deca (HR21) and a band stop filter (for the SD receiver) that I know where they go. My home network is wired.

I'll attempt to attach pics if that helps. Can someone tell me what connects to what and what order to hook it up? I've been reading all morning, and it seems that the power inserter can go just about anywhere. Every wiring diagram I look at has it in a different spot.

TIA,
John
sat1.jpg

sat2.jpg

sat3.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,096 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:14 AM

The SWiM power inserter has a port that says "POWER TO SWM". You need to attach a coax cable from there to the power-passing output of the splitter. Usually these ports are color-coded in red.

I would connect the SD receiver to the other port on the power inserter, labeled "SIGNAL TO IRD".

That leaves 3 open ports on the splitter to connect to the HR24, the HR21 (DECA), and the Broadband DECA.

As far as the order goes for powering up, you should plug in the power inserter before anything else. I would plug in the broadband deca next, then your receivers.

#3 OFFLINE   jangelj

jangelj

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:46 AM

I know for certain that the SD receiver was not plugged into the "Signal to IRD" port because they left the Band stop filter attached and it goes to one of the ports on the splitter. Since the SD rec is the only one with a BSF, I am sure that is the right cable.

I'm not saying it won't work the way you said, just saying that is not exactly how it was. Again, it seems there is more than one way to hook this stuff up, hence my confusion.

Oh, so the Deca BB connects right to the splitter. That makes sense.

John

#4 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,096 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:54 AM

Yes there is more than one way to hook everything up. Aside from the power inserter, which MUST be connected to the power-passing port, everything else is pretty interchangeable.

I suggested the HR24, HR21, and broadband DECA all attaching to the same splitter because they all use DECA networking to talk to each other. The SD receiver, by design (and due to the band stop filter), never even sees the DECA signal. So it makes sense to me to isolate the SD receiver on the "SIGNAL TO IRD" port on the power inserter.

#5 OFFLINE   jangelj

jangelj

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

Thanks, David. Makes sense. I'll try this as soon as I get home tonight.

#6 OFFLINE   jangelj

jangelj

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:14 PM

OK, here's what I did.
single wire from dish into inserter, other side of the inserter (to IRD) into the switch.

The switch has 4 outputs, 1 - SD receiver, 2 - HR21's decca, 3 - HR-24, 4 - Decabb.

powered up all that first, then powered up the HR24 and it works.

David, thanks for weighing in. The only reason I didn't follow exactly what you said is because the installers only undid what they needed in order to move the entertainment center. With half the connections still in place, this seems like the most likely way it was before. If it hadn't worked, I would've taken it all apart and started with your way.
Of course, I haven't tested the internet yet, so if that doesn't work I may end up taking it all apart and doing it defferntly anyway.

#7 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

The way you have it will work fine, my setup at home is pretty much the same (except I don't use DECA). The power inserter can go before the splitter without any issues. You only have to worry about the power inserter hookup if you put it after the splitter, if it's after the splitter it has to hook up to the red port on the plitter.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...