Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Young fan selflessly returns ball thrown into stands to even younger fan

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:46 PM

From yard barker:

Now that’s how you do it, people. We have had several instances recently where some selfish, despicable and heartless person snatches a ball away from some other person (or a bat, in one instance) that has made its way into the stands that it is refreshing to see how a young Arizona Diamondbacks fan named Ian showed the right way to go about things. More importantly, the video has, in a way, restored my faith in America’s citizenry, in particular its youth.
Here’s how it played out: as Milwaukee Brewers second baseman Rickie Weeks was making his way to the dugout after being out in the field, he tossed a baseball in the direction of a Nicholas, a young Brewers fan, sitting in the stands at Chase Field. But instead of the ball remaining in the possession of the designated fan (Nicholas), the ball ultimately ended up in the hands of Ian. Ian, a young kid in his own right and obviously thrilled at scoring the treasured souvenir, made his way back up the steps in jubilation. But upon realizing that the ball wasn’t meant for him – it was meant for Nicholas – Ian did the honorable thing and gave it to the dejected and heartbroken Brewers fan Nicholas. Awesome.
And best of all, Ian’s classy act didn’t go unnoticed. Diamondbacks broadcasters Daron Sutton and Mark Grace noticed the boy’s charitable act

Video

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,965 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

Good job by the kid. I was impressed with the guy who caught Jeter's 3000th hit, which was a HR. He wanted nothing for the ball & was just willing to give it to DJ. The Yankees stepped up at set him up very big. He could've been a jerk and sold it at auction for A LOT.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

Great job kid.

#4 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,171 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:26 PM

Good job by the kid. I was impressed with the guy who caught Jeter's 3000th hit, which was a HR. He wanted nothing for the ball & was just willing to give it to DJ. The Yankees stepped up at set him up very big. He could've been a jerk and sold it at auction for A LOT.

I saw a story where that guy may be in for a nice big tax bill thanks to Jeter :lol:

As I understood the story, the IRS has figured Jeter's gifts are worth somewhere in the area of $50,000 and estimate the man will owe them $14,000

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#5 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,965 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:34 PM

I saw a story where that guy may be in for a nice big tax bill thanks to Jeter :lol:

As I understood the story, the IRS has figured Jeter's gifts are worth somewhere in the area of $50,000 and estimate the man will owe them $14,000

Last I heard, someone was gifting him the tax money to pay it because gifts aren't taxed. Someone please correct that if I'm wrong.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,171 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

Last I heard, someone was gifting him the tax money to pay it because gifts aren't taxed. Someone please correct that if I'm wrong.

from the IRS:

Gift Tax

The gift tax is a tax on the transfer of property by one individual to another while receiving nothing, or less than full value, in return. The tax applies whether the donor intends the transfer to be a gift or not.

The gift tax applies to the transfer by gift of any property. You make a gift if you give property (including money), or the use of or income from property, without expecting to receive something of at least equal value in return. If you sell something at less than its full value or if you make an interest-free or reduced-interest loan, you may be making a gift.

As I read it, he would be responsible for any tax there as well. If the they don't get you one way, it's another..

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#7 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,965 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:47 PM

from the IRS:

As I read it, he would be responsible for any tax there as well. If the they don't get you one way, it's another..

http://www.npr.org/b...-jeters-3-000th

#8 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,171 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

Sounds great and all but as I read that article, Lopez better find himself a good tax guy as all those wonderful gifts he is receiving are just taxable (from the way I read that IRS link).

I just hope int he end that his good deed does not come back and bite him.

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#9 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,656 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

Sounds great and all but as I read that article, Lopez better find himself a good tax guy as all those wonderful gifts he is receiving are just taxable (from the way I read that IRS link).

I just hope int he end that his good deed does not come back and bite him.

Miller High Life offered to pay his tax bill on the items he received from the Yankees for his good deed.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#10 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:50 AM

The way I see it, Lopez' gift to Jeter (the ball) was worth exactly what the Yankees gave to Lopez. Even exchange, no tax due, period!

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#11 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:18 AM

The kid was ABC's person of the week