Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Losing local Fox affiliate, can I pick up a national now?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ekgermann

ekgermann

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:21 PM

Longtime D* sub, occasional poster.

We're in the Ft Wayne Indiana Market with Lima, OH as the backup ZIP code for channel guide.

Our local Fox affiliate WFFT (55) in Ft Wayne is dropping their fox affiliation on 8/1/2011, to then be carried by a sub channel of INC in Ft Wayne (33.2) OTA.

Since D* doesn't carry any of the sub channels of INC, would it be possible to bug D* for the National Fox affiliate.

We CAN get them OTA, but not all DVR's have OTA tuners on them (only two have AM21's). What's the process when their local channels drop a network that was available via DBS and only becomes available via OTA?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 663 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:50 PM

I wonder what's going on with Fox, our longtime affiliate here in Boise is losing their Fox affiliation next month. So now we have musical chairs of Fox going to the CW station, the CW going to a CBS subchannel and the current Fox station going independent.

#3 OFFLINE   mcrutland

mcrutland

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

I will bet you that FOX is picked up on D* even though it is a subchannel. Same setup in the Meridian, MS market (WGBC). Two HD feeds on one channel. Good luck with the compression. The picture will look crappy. Hopefully, WISE will provide a fiber optic feed of FOX to D*. That should solve any poor picture issues.

#4 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:35 AM

I wonder what's going on with Fox, our longtime affiliate here in Boise is losing their Fox affiliation next month. So now we have musical chairs of Fox going to the CW station, the CW going to a CBS subchannel and the current Fox station going independent.

FOX is having a lot of disputes with its affiliates over retransmission fees and these are the first two to lose the network. Look for Bismarck-Minot's FOX affiliate to change soon as well.

http://latimesblogs....ey-dispute.html

#5 OFFLINE   Art7220

Art7220

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:47 PM

People like FOX? Right, Bob's Burgers. I get it now.

I wonder if this is the new normal, in which networks are hitting up their stations for money and dropping them if they don't get it. Then you'll see Direc and DN carry national net feeds for everyone, hoping that US Bell and Shaw viewers will return.

Edited by Art7220, 26 July 2011 - 12:52 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   ekgermann

ekgermann

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

@Art7220,

Gotta have new Family Guy ...

#7 OFFLINE   ekgermann

ekgermann

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:05 PM

@mcrutland,

I think they already have fiber in to D* for their NBC and ABC affiliates (shared facility), so hopefully that will be a no brainer.

Sad to see 55 lose their Fox affiliation. I've always been partial to them since they got me thru the Blizzard of '78 with their movie marathon as a wee little lad on a tiny generator in a cold, cold house.

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:22 PM

Fox Channel 34 will be replacing WFFT is the word I've heard.

Longtime D* sub, occasional poster.

We're in the Ft Wayne Indiana Market with Lima, OH as the backup ZIP code for channel guide.

Our local Fox affiliate WFFT (55) in Ft Wayne is dropping their fox affiliation on 8/1/2011, to then be carried by a sub channel of INC in Ft Wayne (33.2) OTA.

Since D* doesn't carry any of the sub channels of INC, would it be possible to bug D* for the National Fox affiliate.

We CAN get them OTA, but not all DVR's have OTA tuners on them (only two have AM21's). What's the process when their local channels drop a network that was available via DBS and only becomes available via OTA?

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:24 PM

Here in my market, our CW affiliate is a sub channel of CBS. Directv carries this sub channel. They also carry another subchannel of ours from PBS.
So there is a chance they will pick up your sub channel.

Here is our local line up.

WITN NBC HD 7
WNCT CBS HD 9
WCTI ABC HD 12
WYDO FOX HD 14
WNCT-DT2 CW SD 15(sub)
WUNK UNC/PBS HD 25
WUNK-DT2 UNC/PBS SD 25.2 (sub)

#10 OFFLINE   dogs31

dogs31

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:52 PM

And the sad thing is that the current CW station isn't broadcasting in HD on Directv. I am wondering will they upgrade their facilities since FOX is requiring KNIN to broadcast in HD.

#11 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:12 PM

The way i understand it - if you can recieve a channel OTA, it doesn't matter that Directv doesn't offer it, you won't be eligible for DNS.

#12 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 663 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

And the sad thing is that the current CW station isn't broadcasting in HD on Directv. I am wondering will they upgrade their facilities since FOX is requiring KNIN to broadcast in HD.

KNIN has broadcast in HD for several years now, but only OTA.

#13 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:57 PM

The way i understand it - if you can recieve a channel OTA, it doesn't matter that Directv doesn't offer it, you won't be eligible for DNS.

That is sort of ****ty really..... what exactly determines whether you can receive it? You can live inside a OTA area, but not receive anything because there is a big building next door (but none towards the southern sky).
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#14 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:05 PM

so again... the way i understand it, they have this map that shows signal strength, and if you are within an area that has adequate signal strength, you aren't going to get a waiver from the local station to allow you to get a distant network out of LA or NY. It wouldn't matter whether your personal living situation - i.e. your apartment example - prohibits you from actually receiving that signal. You are in the ring of goodness so to speak, and that's what matters.

It's not Directv's decision. You have to get a waiver from the local station in order to allow Directv to give you an LA or NY station. And the station won't give it to you if you are within a strong signal zone. It's an FCC thing meant to protect local broadcasters.

I've personally had no experience with this, so don't shoot the messenger here, but this is what i've gathered from reading other similar posts and threads.

#15 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:09 PM

the ring of goodness

:D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#16 OFFLINE   dogs31

dogs31

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

KNIN has broadcast in HD for several years now, but only OTA.

Then why have they not provided an HD link to Directv. They provide a HD link to Cable One.

#17 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 663 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

Then why have they not provided an HD link to Directv. They provide a HD link to Cable One.

Since satellite companies and local stations work out carriage between themselves, I would guess KNIN wanted more for their HD signal than D* was willing to spend, probably since KNIN's only HD programming was CW shows 2 hours a day. I would bet D* will pay up once they switch to Fox.
On a somewhat related note, I learned that the reason D* shows a hideous center cut of 4-2 PBS HD here in addition to the SD 4-1 PBS is because PBS told them to show two channels in SD instead of one in HD. PBS here obviously doesn't care about HD, since they even downres the 1080i signal to 720p for their HD OTA channel.

spam firewall