Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Questions on pole install

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   IDRick

IDRick

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:19 PM

I would prefer a pole install because: a) it will be easier to clean off snow in the winter and B) we will be reroofing in the next few years so a pole install prevents future charges for reaiming the dish. Questions:

1) Does hard water impact the satellite dish or it's respective components? A good place to install the pole is close to a lawn sprinkler and may result in wind driven hard water spray on the dish.

2) What are current charges for a pole install?

3) Based on dishpointer.com, I should be good to go at this location and could install the pole myself. However, is it wiser to have the D* installer put it in because he make sure it is a viable location?

Thanks!

Rick

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:30 PM

My dish is completely rust colored, can't read any of the printing on it, from my sprinkler system. About twice a year I wipe off the LNB lenses. My signal strength is fine.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   IDRick

IDRick

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

Thanks davring! You Floridians get a bit more rain than we do, our annual precipitation is a grand total of 11 inches... Good to hear that irrigation water should not be a problem.

#4 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:52 PM

Thanks davring! You Floridians get a bit more rain than we do, our annual precipitation is a grand total of 11 inches... Good to hear that irrigation water should not be a problem.

We can get that much in two weeks in the summer:) We rely on our well for many months during the dry winters.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#5 OFFLINE   leeliam

leeliam

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:52 PM

Here it's $75 with the first 20ft free trenching, $1 per foot after that. However I only charge here if the customer requests it and there is a valid los from the roof. Even then if it's right by the home and I don't have to trench but a few feet I'll toss it in for free.

Subcontractors will always charge you, if you get an HSP employee it's a tossup.

#6 OFFLINE   IDRick

IDRick

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:17 PM

My proposed spot is within 15 feet of the house, ground location, and coax entry point to the home. A roof install would work well at my location but I want a pole install for the reasons stated earlier. $75 isn't too bad a price for the piece of mind for removing snow and eliminating potential issue with new roof. Thanks leeliam!

#7 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:40 PM

I would suggest covering the dish with a thin plastic cover. It will keep the snow off the dish and it also keep the hard water from "rusting" it. The dish will look brand new under it and you will never have to brush snow off of it.

#8 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

I would suggest covering the dish with a thin plastic cover. It will keep the snow off the dish and it also keep the hard water from "rusting" it. The dish will look brand new under it and you will never have to brush snow off of it.

Yeah, that won't look any worse than a rusty reflector :lol:
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#9 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:50 PM

Lots of stuff like this available too. While we're on the subject of hiding/protection.

http://www.dishcamo...._rock_cover.htm

#10 OFFLINE   wiz561

wiz561

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:16 PM

I live outside of chicago, and I wanted my dish on a pole mount next to my house. I didn't want it on the roof for fear of leaks or if it has to be moved/re-aligned, etc., and I didn't want it on the side of the house for fear that it may damage/pull the brick facade away from the house.

The guy charged 75 bucks to mount it and I consider it will worth the fee. I'm extremely happy with where it's at, he cemented it in, and mounted it on a galvanized pipe. I would do it again in a heartbeat. The *only* thing that I've been thinking of doing is putting some sort of support/tripod mount from the pole to the house for more stabilization. It's mounted about 5' up on the pole and it sometimes shakes ever so slightly due to the wind. My signal rarely goes out, but sometimes the audio drops. Don't know if it's from that or something else.

Now I wonder if you dig a trench, if he would just lay it in and you can put the dirt back...just to save on installation costs. Just a thought.

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:52 PM

You can paint your dish as well to have it better protected from constant water application. Painting the dish is better and usually more visually pleasing than any kind of cover.

#12 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

I would put it on the roof myself.

I think direct will move the dish after a year or so for free and/or give a free alignment

On the roof would either be zero cost or up to $100 for the realignment, but pretty sure it would be zero.

This way it would be out of water system and you dont have to mow around it.

Put it on the roof....

#13 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:55 PM

I think direct will move the dish after a year or so for free and/or give a free alignment

What? A customer requested ODU relocation is $95

On the roof would either be zero cost or up to $100 for the realignment, but pretty sure it would be zero.

What are you saying here?

This way it would be out of water system and you dont have to mow around it.

Put it on the roof....

:confused:

#14 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:22 AM

Put it on the roof....

A dish relocate is $49 upfront with a credit card. A service call for realignment is $49.95. Personally, I have a pole mount that was worth every penny. I put my cabling in pvc piping prior to burial and we are going on four and a half years problem free.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#15 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:51 PM

I didn't see it posted but I only skimmed. My office a pole mount only cost $$ if you don't want it on your house. If there is line of sight from the house and you want it on a pole it's 75$.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#16 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:55 PM

:confused:

depends on which rep you talk to, some get moved for free, other are charged......what are you saying???

call movers connect after 6 months its free, tell them you moved from 901 to 901 1/2?? I dont know do whatever you want to.

#17 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:23 PM

depends on which rep you talk to, some get moved for free, other are charged......what are you saying???

call movers connect after 6 months its free, tell them you moved from 901 to 901 1/2?? I dont know do whatever you want to.

Where do you come up with this stuff? The address's get verified by the post office. Before posting to attempt to commit fraud why not just ignore the topic.

You said it in your post you don't know so I'm trying to figure out why you bothered posting to begin with.

#18 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

My SL dish is on a three foot pole. Me amd my wife dug the whole and cemented it. Flagged down a D installer and aimed it for me for $20. I get a lot of 100"s on the screen signal strength meters. Since it's so low to the ground, the fence and the house next door keep the wind off. I wash it every once in a while due to bird droppings.

spam firewall