Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Do I need to have my instalation redone?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:03 PM

I just had a new setup installed last Saturday, SWiM HR24-200 and H25. After reading some threads here I looked at my sat-dish and they mounted it 3.5 feet from my Electrical drop masthead and they didn't install a ground block in the coax run. They used an under eave mount and 1x4 multiswitch. This is my first sat TV setup and my dealings with DirecTV. :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:17 PM

a ground block isnt needed as long as the splitter is grounded and the dish is too close according to code but if you have it moved you will then have holes in your roof to deal with so just leave it alone if its working

#3 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:52 PM

Photos?
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#4 OFFLINE   Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:10 PM

a ground block isnt needed as long as the splitter is grounded and the dish is too close according to code but if you have it moved you will then have holes in your roof to deal with so just leave it alone if its working

I looked at the pictures I took on my phone and the switch says UL US rated ground clamp-communications MSPLIT4R1-02, but it doesn't look like he ran a wire to ground from it. Nor did he run a ground wire from the dish mount.

I have 2 pictures but don't have a place to host them.

As for holes in the roof, that's why I have an under eave mount, so they didn't drill through the roof. It looks like they should have mounted it 2 rafters over from where it is. then it would be the proper distance from the periscope/mast.

#5 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

3.5 ft is fine i would not worry about it

#6 OFFLINE   Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:08 PM

There's a green screw at 2 corners of the multiswitch, should I run a wire from there to ground? Is 10 gauge solid copper the right size and does the dish body/mount need to be grounded too?

#7 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,261 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:21 PM

No, your installation wasn't done right (even though the conditions you describe are optimal).

Now that that's out of the way, is it working?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

No, your installation wasn't done right (even though the conditions you describe are optimal).

Now that that's out of the way, is it working?

It's working fine. I don't mind running a the ground wires myself. As the home owner I want to limit any liability and would like it to be 'to code'. The house was built in the mid '50's and I know I need to get an electrician in there and update some of the wiring. The family room was added in '87 and it's fine, but the bedroom that will be my computer room needs grounded outlets and part of the house still has an old fuse box that we'll have replaced with circuit breaker box. The outlet for the fridge needs replaced with a grounded outlet too.

When we have that work done the City will probably send an inspector so I need anything he/she may see to be to code too. So I'm asking these questions to get ahead of the game. :confused:

#9 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

It's working fine. I don't mind running a the ground wires myself. As the home owner I want to limit any liability and would like it to be 'to code'. The house was built in the mid '50's and I know I need to get an electrician in there and update some of the wiring. The family room was added in '87 and it's fine, but the bedroom that will be my computer room needs grounded outlets and part of the house still has an old fuse box that we'll have replaced with circuit breaker box. The outlet for the fridge needs replaced with a grounded outlet too.

When we have that work done the City will probably send an inspector so I need anything he/she may see to be to code too. So I'm asking these questions to get ahead of the game. :confused:

yes the way you want to run the ground will be fine 10 GA. Ive Never seen any kind of city or state inspector bother with anything with a directv installation. there are alot of jobs not grounded at all like almost every apartment or condo.

#10 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:44 AM

I looked at the pictures I took on my phone and the switch says UL US rated ground clamp-communications MSPLIT4R1-02, but it doesn't look like he ran a wire to ground from it. Nor did he run a ground wire from the dish mount.

I have 2 pictures but don't have a place to host them.

As for holes in the roof, that's why I have an under eave mount, so they didn't drill through the roof. It looks like they should have mounted it 2 rafters over from where it is. then it would be the proper distance from the periscope/mast.

Lil paperclip here:
Posted Image
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#11 OFFLINE   Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:25 PM

Here's the pics.

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

#12 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:57 PM

I see unapproved fittings and not grounded. 2 Strikes.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#13 OFFLINE   chefwong

chefwong

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

PPC EX6XL's are not approved these days ?

#14 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

PPC EX6XL's are not approved these days ?

They are, just not the ones with the boots. Why is anyones guess though.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

spam firewall