Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fox lets Dish viewers see recent shows online earlier

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rasheed

rasheed

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:31 PM

Thinking how contentious the Fox/Dish deal was in recent past (complete with status updates to the FCC), it looks like Fox/Dish are banding together to try and improve value to its customers. I think this was an issue brought up during negotation (especially with the O and O stations that wanted monthly fees for transmission).

Fox online shows will be available the next day for Dish subscribers, but delayed for everyone else. They likely will include other content distibutors as they make these deals.

http://movies.yahoo....-224127181.html

http://online.wsj.co...0699007532.html

Rasheed

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:21 PM

Thinking how contentious the Fox/Dish deal was in recent past (complete with status updates to the FCC), it looks like Fox/Dish are banding together to try and improve value to its customers. I think this was an issue brought up during negotation (especially with the O and O stations that wanted monthly fees for transmission).

Fox online shows will be available the next day for Dish subscribers, but delayed for everyone else. They likely will include other content distibutors as they make these deals.

Rasheed

That's interesting.

Hmmm. I couldn't read the whole WSJ article because it too is behind a paywall. Oh that's right, Rupert Murdoch owns it as well as Fox.:rolleyes:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:53 PM

I bet if you try and watch, they will tap your phone!

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:08 PM

I bet if you try and watch, they will tap your phone!

:lol:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

Rasheed

I don't watch FOX, FX ETC. I avoid them.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#6 OFFLINE   Klatu

Klatu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:42 PM

I try to watch most of the news channels periodically to get all the information possible so I can make an informed decision on anything important.

Decipher that. :grin:
VIP 722 DVR, Samsung LNT4671F HD TV, ROKU for Netflix, Panasonic Blu-Ray, Slingbox, and a HTC Rezound to watch all this stuff when my wife is shopping.

#7 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:12 PM

What they are really attempting to do is use the "TV Anywhere" model to make people all switch to Pay TV, and stem the tide of "Cord Cutting" (leaving Pay TV for OTA and internet, etc). That will make it easier to say that "virtually no one watches over-the-air", and thus justify taking away the TV Broadcast channels for Spectrum Auctions.
This will pay for about one-quarter of one-percent of the National Debt, buy some poorly made radios for Police and Firefighters to use on unreliable digital radio systems (the new law will be announced on the tenth anniversary of the 9-11 bombings), and make for some nice ("warm-n-fuzzy") Photo-Op's for some Congressmen.
It will also lead to sky-rocketing prices for cable and Satellite TV, new and higher taxes and fees on your bills, and probably tick-off a lot of AARP members who rely on free TV.
But, let's just "deal with it", so no one calls us "Anti-American".

#8 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:14 AM

In addition to paying for the privelege of providing a signal to all of the DMA of local affiliates who won't make the needed investment in their own broadcast capability, Dish is the first to step up and pay extra to let their subscribers view the content on-line without the week delay added for non-payers.

It's a way to keep pay-TV "necessary."
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

Protected By... spam firewall...And...