Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question on SWM/DECA Install

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ghengis

Ghengis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:16 PM

I currently have a SMW LNB connected to a SWM8. I have 3 HR22s and 1 H24 connected so I am using 7 tuners. I am looking to upgrade so that I connect 2 more DVRs and was weighing 2 options.

1) Change the LNB and get a SWM16 and run 2 SWM8s off the SWM16
2) Add a second Dish to the other side of my house with a SWM LNB to a SWM8 (I assume as long as I have both SWM8s connect to a DECA on the same LAN Router, I will have one cloud for all the receivers, even though they are on separate dishes)

Looking for some opinions on which option makes the most sense.

Dave

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

I currently have a SMW LNB connected to a SWM8. I have 3 HR22s and 1 H24 connected so I am using 7 tuners. I am looking to upgrade so that I connect 2 more DVRs and was weighing 2 options.

2) Add a second Dish to the other side of my house with a SWM LNB to a SWM8 (I assume as long as I have both SWM8s connect to a DECA on the same LAN Router, I will have one cloud for all the receivers, even though they are on separate dishes)

Dave

Your setup, as described, can not work.

You either have a SWM LNB with 1 line to a 8 way splitter (a splitter is not a swm)
Or
You have a legacy LNB with 4 lines going to a SWM module, then to one or more splitters.

Your best option, is to let DirecTv handle all the details.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:27 PM

Dave

Your use of "SWM8" should be "8-way splitter".
Other than that, options 1 or 2 will work.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   Ghengis

Ghengis

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

Sorry, my bad, it is an 8 way splitter (long day on the computer).

I did the install myself, so I cannot have DTV handle anything

I am just thinking that $279 for a SWM16 is pretty hefty rather than putting up a second dish with another 8 way splitter.

Dave

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:30 PM

Sorry, my bad, it is an 8 way splitter (long day on the computer).

I did the install myself, so I cannot have DTV handle anything

I am just thinking that $279 for a SWM16 is pretty hefty rather than putting up a second dish with another 8 way splitter.

Dave

It may be, but some may not want to have two dishes either.
The real difference would be the SWiM-16 has a crossover for the DECA signal, so it wouldn't need to be bridged through your router. May not be that important, but is a difference.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:58 PM

Can't have D* do the work? Sounds like a stacked account?
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#7 OFFLINE   Ghengis

Ghengis

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:19 PM

Should rephrase. I did the entire install myself and would rather do any future work myself rather than have a DTV installer do it.

Dave

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,786 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

You can:
Run two dishes, 8 SWM channels each, or
Run one legacy dish with an external SWM16, or
run one legacy dish with 4 dual port power passing splitters and two SWM8's.

The first and third options will limit whole-home/MRV, you would need to bridge both SWM8 "clouds" together via your LAN to get whole-home between/across the two SWM's (but that can be done).

#9 OFFLINE   Ghengis

Ghengis

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:48 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies, I think I am going to go with a SWM16.

#10 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

Check eBay for the SWM16. I was able to get one along with the power inserter and two 8 way splitters for around $80 with shipping.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#11 OFFLINE   Ghengis

Ghengis

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. I installed the SWM16 and am having an issue that maybe someone can help with.

I got a SWM16 with PI and two 8Way splitters for $85.

I switched the LNB on the dish from the SL3-swm to the SL3 legacy and connected the 4 cables from the LNB to the SWM16.

I have the power inverter going into the power connector on the SWM16 and I only have 1 8way splitter connected to SWM1 and SWM2 terminated. I have 1 receiver on the 8way splitter and the other 7 connects terminated (figured this was the simplest test).

I changed the dish type in setup from Slimline 3-S (SWM) to Slimline-3, switch type is 01: SWM (but it is greyed out) and Recheck SWM is greyed out.
At the bottom it has an message "Do not install B-Band Converters"

It did at one time say "SWM single channel found" or something to that affect ,I can't remember exactly.

I do see SWM in the list of Satellites in the signal strength screen, so I assume that the SWM16 is connected and working.

The problem is I get no signal on any satellite. I am wondering if the SL3 LNB is bad. I am at a loss right now

Dave

Edited by Ghengis, 04 August 2011 - 07:51 PM.
Added additional info

#12 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:57 PM

Hook the SL3 (any of the 4 wires) to the receiver (any receiver except an H25) and set to Slimline 3/Multiswitch. That will tell you if the LNB is working. BTW, the correct dish type is still SL3/SWM if you have the SWM16 hooked up. Note, without a BBC, you wont get ALL the HD satellites, but will be able to tell if the LNB is working.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#13 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

"Easy" check: disconnect the SWM16 and connect a receiver directly to the LNB (if it's a DVR you'll need to connect 2 coax cables to test dual tuners.) You'll also need the BBC's unless it's a 23. You'll also need to reconfigure the sat setup, and likely reboot.

Edit: looks like Davenlr beat me to it :lol:
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#14 OFFLINE   Ghengis

Ghengis

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:52 AM

Thanks again. Looks like the LNB was ok, but my mast was not level after working on the dish. I am closer now, I have the SWM working but I am only getting 101. 99 and 103 have no signal, so I have to go up and check the dish alignment again.

Dave

spam firewall