Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nfl Sunday Ticket exclusive

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

Does Directv keep the Sunday Ticket exclusive after the 2014 season or not?
I wonder if Directv will still try to keep it exclusive.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:44 PM

Likely the NFL will want to keep it exclusive as much or more than DIRECTV does.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3 OFFLINE   GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

Likely the NFL will want to keep it exclusive as much or more than DIRECTV does.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom,

The NFL would make more money if they kept it exclusive?

#4 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

Tom,

According to SatelliteRacer, a member here who knows the biz, the NFL is afraid that if NFL ST is too easily available, the NFL would get less money from the other TV contracts. So they try to balance the exclusivity to get the most overall money.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#5 OFFLINE   GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

Oh I see...makes sense

#6 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 532 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:51 PM

remember the NFL doesn't want Sunday Ticket where everyone can get it

#7 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:17 PM

remember the NFL doesn't want Sunday Ticket where everyone can get it

I can see that I guess. If everyone had ST then where would that leave local networks? I know the local channels should have the games and ST be blacked out but it would also have to lower ratings locally if alot of viewers were viewing out of market games instead of their local channels. That would have to affect add revenue for the tv stations and also lower the amount of money the television stations wanted to pay the NFL. It really does make sense when you think about it that way I guess.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#8 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:20 PM

in canada there are no exclusive on it due to the laws.

Now maybe by 2014 the cable co's and iN DEMAND will have the room for it with all games in HD.

But the cable co's can push for laws to change to end the exclusive on it.

Comcast can try to play hard ball and pull NBC / comcast channels and try to force D* to let them have it.

But befor 2014 we may see all a cart or some forum of theme packs.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#9 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:22 PM

Tom,

but they are like stuck with D* or E* as there are a lot places that cable does not cover and there are areas with small cable co's that don't have any HD much less room for out of market sports.

#10 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:24 PM

Now maybe by 2014 the cable co's and iN DEMAND will have the room for it with all games in HD.

It has absolutely nothing to do with a lack of room. Trust me, every cable operator in the country would find room to offer NFLST given the chance. As Tom posted above, neither the NFL nor DirecTV have any interest in getting rid of the exclusivity.

At one point DirecTV didn't even have room for the NFLST HD channels, but they took down existing channels to fit them in.

#11 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

in canada there are no exclusive on it due to the laws.

But the cable co's can push for laws to change to end the exclusive on it.

Comcast can try to play hard ball and pull NBC / comcast channels and try to force D* to let them have it.

But befor 2014 we may see all a cart or some forum of theme packs.

In Canada the NFL doesn't make a TON of money from anyone. So they don't have to protect those income streams.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#12 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 532 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

I can see that I guess. If everyone had ST then where would that leave local networks? I know the local channels should have the games and ST be blacked out but it would also have to lower ratings locally if alot of viewers were viewing out of market games instead of their local channels. That would have to affect add revenue for the tv stations and also lower the amount of money the television stations wanted to pay the NFL. It really does make sense when you think about it that way I guess.

ya that why most cable companies doesn't carry the NFL Network because they don't want to business with the NFL without Sunday Ticket they don't want to make there customers pay more even for 8 games, so i think directv will keep ST for our life time

#13 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:56 PM

In Canada the NFL doesn't make a TON of money from anyone. So they don't have to protect those income streams.

Cheers,
Tom

The lack of exclusivity for any provider is due to Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) regulations.

#14 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

The lack of exclusivity for any provider is due to Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) regulations.

My point being that if the NFL were making tons of money in Canada, they would protect those tons of money. They most likely would not sell the NFL Sunday Ticket at all.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#15 OFFLINE   sLim901

sLim901

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:23 AM

is sunday ticket free for all customers or just new customers?

#16 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:11 AM

is sunday ticket free for all customers or just new customers?

Just new customers, but if you call and ask for it you may be able to get yourself a significant discount.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...