Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Direct TV HR24/200 receiver and Airport Express

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomEd

TomEd

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:28 PM

For a router I use an Airport Express. It is enough for my iMac and my iPad, but it does not provide an internet connection with my Direct TV HR24/200 receiver. The installer had no luck, and I've been on the phone with Apple and DirecTv people about eight times. They all are willing to spend time trying to help, but no solution has developed.
I am not knowledgeable about this sort of problem (or many others.) I have had maybe six Macs since 1984. I use a computer for bookkeeping, writing, keeping up with events, etc., but I have not attempted to understand computer workings, and I am not up on the jargon and abbreviations that I see in the forum discussions. I'd appreciate any help offered, but it has to be clearly stated for this old man to understand.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,866 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:03 PM

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

I believe it is possible to use an Airport Express, but I would strongly recommend using DIRECTV's wireless cinema connection kit instead. It can be set up right from the receiver and is inexpensive at DIRECTV.com.

I'm going to bring your post to the attention of my friend Greg Alsobrook who, I believe, has an Airport Express and see what he can do to help.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

So, couple questions, is the HR24 your only receiver? Are you trying to connect wirelessly or with a cable connected to your express?

It helps to know more about your setup. :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#4 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:46 PM

Do you expect us to see your system magically over the internet? We need to know the exact set-up and what you want to do.

#5 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:24 PM

I'm going to bring your post to the attention of my friend Greg Alsobrook who, I believe, has an Airport Express and see what he can do to help.

Unfortunately, I don't have an Airport Express (I have an Airport Extreme), so I lack firsthand experience with it. From what I know about an Airport Express, it only has one ethernet port, and is most often used to extend an existing wireless network. Are you sure you don't have an Airport Extreme router? The Express can add up to 10 devices to your wireless network, but either way, you would need a way for your HR24 to connect to your WiFi. Sounds like you're going to need to purchase something like the wireless cinema connection kit that Stuart referenced.
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:19 AM

Unfortunately, I don't have an Airport Express (I have an Airport Extreme), so I lack firsthand experience with it. From what I know about an Airport Express, it only has one ethernet port, and is most often used to extend an existing wireless network. Are you sure you don't have an Airport Extreme router? The Express can add up to 10 devices to your wireless network, but either way, you would need a way for your HR24 to connect to your WiFi. Sounds like you're going to need to purchase something like the wireless cinema connection kit that Stuart referenced.

That is correct, it has just one ethernet port. If the OP wants to use it to connect the HR24 with a Ethernet cable, the express needs to be setup as a wireless bridge. Then you can use the only Ethernet port to connect the HR24.

However, if the express is indeed acting like a router (which it can), then a wireless solution like the cinema connection kit is the only solution that I can figure.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

#7 OFFLINE   Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:20 AM

That is correct, it has just one ethernet port. If the OP wants to use it to connect the HR24 with a Ethernet cable, the express needs to be setup as a wireless bridge. Then you can use the only Ethernet port to connect the HR24.

However, if the express is indeed acting like a router (which it can), then a wireless solution like the cinema connection kit is the only solution that I can figure.

I think you could use the 1 Ethernet to connect to a Switch which the the router in the A/E would control. Then the OP could use a wired DECA unit. My installer ran a Coax into my computer room so I could connect to wired port on my router.

#8 OFFLINE   TomEd

TomEd

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:22 AM

The replies are much appreciated. I'll try to respond to the questions and suggestions:
My system is simply high speed internet provided by Wave Cable, an Airport Express purchased from Apple, the DCCK (connection kit device) provided by Direct TV (and installed by Direct TV), and the HR24 receiver.
I did have a standard definition receiver, but that went with the installer, so I now have only the HR24.
Everything about the system, except the connection to the internet, seems to be working just fine in that I have all the other advantages of the new receiver. I can record and play back with it, I can watch HD transmissions in standard definition, etc.
In setting up the receiver both the installer and I, separately, were able to get to the point where the Airport Express network is recognized, but that is as far as it goes. The receiver does not connect to the network.

#9 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,677 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:39 AM

The Airport Express is either a Wireless Access Point or a gaming adapter (WDS mode). You need to set it to WDS mode to use it with the DCCK.

As Stuart points out, the wireless CCK would also work without the complication of another third party device.

Ideally, the installer would have placed the DCCK near your router and made the LAN connection with a conventional Ethernet cable.

With only a single receiver and the DCCK not adjacent to the router, the DCCK isn't doing you any good at all. You could just as easily connect the Airport Express (in WDS mode) directly to the HR24's Ethernet port.

Edited by harsh, 29 July 2011 - 10:52 AM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   TomEd

TomEd

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:39 AM

I did not answer one question — the setup is wireless. The wifi signal from the Airport Express is apparently adequate so that the network is recognized, but I don't get the high speed internet required for best reception.
Also, to clarify the system: The high speed internet connects directly to the airport express, and my iMac and my iPad, both working fine, are wirelessly connected to the Airport Express.

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,866 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:41 AM

So theoretically, can you set up the Airport Express as a wireless access point using your Mac, and have it work? If so, do that and then move it to the DVR. Then go through the network setup on the DVR. It should "just work."
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:14 PM

So theoretically, can you set up the Airport Express as a wireless access point using your Mac, and have it work? If so, do that and then move it to the DVR. Then go through the network setup on the DVR. It should "just work."

Yes, that would work but you would need a separate wireless router to transmit the network to the express.

It seems the OP is using the express as a router or wireless access point, creating a wireless network for his computers. This setup would use the only Ethernet port on the express to connect to the ISP modem or router, therefore you couldn't use a wired connection to the HR24.

I'm not home to check but if the express is WPS capable, that could be another option. Maybe someone else could chime in on that one.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

#13 OFFLINE   TomEd

TomEd

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:22 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I was able to get a list of "supported routers" from Directv, and the Airport Express is not on the list, so that could be my problem. I'll try a router from the list and see if that helps. If not, I'll forget about this system for internet movies and get them from NetFlix.
By the way, for those who suggested I use DIRECTV's wireless cinema connection kit, that is what the technician used in setting up the system, and it is still in place. It just doesn't connect the internet to the HDDVR.
And to all, thanx again.

#14 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:41 PM

I suggest you try to configure the WCCK through your computer, then move it to your DVR. I don't have any first hand experience with the WCCK but the First Look document has some really good information on it. The last page has the information on configuring it directly from your computer.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

Protected By... spam firewall...And...