Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrade tomorrow.. New hd DVR, whole home... List?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   su_A_ve

su_A_ve

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:25 PM

Currently have a 5 lnb dish replaced a few months ago. I have an HR20-100 which stays and replacing an old SD DVR with a new hd DVR.

The hr20 currently has ethernet to it. I can easily run Ethernet to the other one but I believe I shouldn't need it with deca built in, right?

Getting whole home install and cinema connection kit.

Since I dont have swm I assume a new dish or would they replace the existing switch with a swim?

Then, having Ethernet ready and a gig network, I don't need a wireless kit, but wonder if that is what they would send?

I've had my share ef newbie installers - ended up doing most of the wiring while they would put the dish up. So want to make sure they don't just cut corners.

Goal here is to be able to stream between the two dvrs... Tia.
°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:31 PM

LNB will get swapped for swm version.
A splitter will be placed some where along with a power supply.
A wired CCK will be placed somwhere where there is an ethernet connection. In your case, one of the 2 lines currently going to your HR20 would be used. At least thats what I'd do.

Pretty straight forward job. The only potential snag I forsee is the tech might not be familar with hooking up the HR20-100.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,105 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:35 PM

Also, DECA will only be built in if you get an HR24, otherwise it's an external box. Same functionality though.

#4 OFFLINE   su_A_ve

su_A_ve

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

Thanks... So they'll replace the dish and keep the four runs? I assume only two would then be used, one going to each receiver, or one of the lines for power?

I did see the diagram for the hr20.

So for whole home they would use another deca connected to my network?

Tia...

Ps... Last dish swap took three hours... Side of the house two stories up. I would put the swm switch in the basement like it used to be...

#5 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:10 PM

No, they'll likely only replace the dish's LNB assembly with a Single Wire Multiswitch version. Then only one coax is needed into the house where they'll use a SWM splitter to feed one coax cable to each DVR and Receiver. DECA adapters will be installed on the required DVRs and Receivers for Whole Home DVR networking using the coax cables. And they'll run a coax cable from the SWM splitter to a location near your home network gateway/router for the Broadband DECA adapter for internet access.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,170 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:21 PM

Thanks... So they'll replace the dish and keep the four runs? I assume only two would then be used, one going to each receiver, or one of the lines for power?

I did see the diagram for the hr20. ...

Yep;

Since you have had your share of newbie installers, better bookmark this post on the special hookup diagrams for the HR20-100 then just in case the installer gets stuck.

http://www.dbstalk.c...29&d=1273790719

http://www.dbstalk.c...28&d=1273790719

Hey, good luck ...

#7 OFFLINE   su_A_ve

su_A_ve

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:42 PM

Thanks... One more...

Can you hook up the deca with a network switch in between or does it have to go to the router?

Currently I do this...

Router -> gig switch -----> gig switch -> hr20

Router and first switch are in the loft, the other one and hr20 are in the first floor. Plan is to hook up deca to the first floor location next to the hr20. Should be ok, right?

Tia.

Ps... Now that I think about, last 3 hr dish replacement was of the dish itself, not the arm, as it was an older dish which had no easy alignment knobs. Guess one thy will do the arm. Better get some stuff to plug the existing coax holes then...

#8 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,170 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:51 AM

Thanks... One more...

Can you hook up the deca with a network switch in between or does it have to go to the router?

Currently I do this...

Router -> gig switch -----> gig switch -> hr20

Router and first switch are in the loft, the other one and hr20 are in the first floor. Plan is to hook up deca to the first floor location next to the hr20. Should be ok, right?

Tia. ...

Yes, any point there is an ethernet connection onto your home network which then eventually leads to the internet is appropriate for connection of the DCCK.

Just make sure the installer uses a 2x1 green label splitter to divide the satellite feed between the HR20 and DCCK. An ethernet patch cord then attaches between the DCCK and the ethernet switch.

#9 OFFLINE   su_A_ve

su_A_ve

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:23 PM

Install went smooth for the most part

Installer saw the dish and said he would put in a SWM module and an 8 port splitter, instead of replacing the dish.

Helped him with a copy of the diagram posted above in how to properly connect the HR20. Since the HR20 is in a closet, I said we would use one of the feeds to connect it, and the other one to connect the DECA to the network (since I had etherenet at the location) He wasn't sure it would work, but agreed to try it. Of course it worked. I realized he wasn't sure on this setup when he didn't bring a band stop filter. He didn't have any 2-way splitter, so he used a 4way.

I had unplugged the HR20 as I needed to move it's power outlet. Problem was after this, it refused to boot. Eventually, after the 4th time and when I was going to call in to get replaced, it decided to boot. (power light will turn on, then go off and stay off - you could here the fans spinning, but not the HD).

Had to call in to activate whole-home as it wasn't provisioned (they offered me 3 months of any premium - no idea why as I didn't ask, but took HBO), and had to reset the internet connection (I had a fixed IP). Then MRV and Cinema worked.

Got an HR24-500, which looks pretty smooth...

Thanks all of you for your help.

#10 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:06 PM

Since I'm a newbie to DTV, BUD user (14' Paraclipse) since 1986, is it typical for the user to assist the installer with upgrade issues? Are the installers generally inexperienced ?

1-HR24
2-H25
Installed 7/16/2011

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,105 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

Since I'm a newbie to DTV, BUD user (14' Paraclipse) since 1986, is it typical for the user to assist the installer with upgrade issues? Are the installers generally inexperienced ?

1-HR24
2-H25
Installed 7/16/2011

The HR20-100 is done differently from all the others, including the HR20-700, so not all installers have run into it. When I had MRV installed, he knew ow to do that, but I had to assist with the Internet connection kit (and took three appointments and the tech calling for a fourth until I got one willing to try what I was telling them.) This was early on though, I think we ordered it the day it became available.

#12 OFFLINE   su_A_ve

su_A_ve

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

1-HR24
2-H25
Installed 7/16/2011

I'm very anal about installs (and anything tech related) and tend to do most of it even when someone else is supposed to. I just can't stand behind them...

Now, off to staples to pick up a back-ups as the one I had has a dead battery. I had this one for over 6 years... Good thing they are on sale (ends tonight). A Backups 550 is $35 after coupons...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...