Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What do I need? HD-DVR and Whole House DVR

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   richart53

richart53

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

Can someone help me out with what is needed and about what it is going to cost before I spend time on the phone with Directv? I have been a subscriber for just over a year.

Currently I have 1 HD-DVR, 1 HD receiver and 2 SD receivers. The HD-DVR is connected to my home network with an ethernet cable but none of the other receivers are connected.

I would like to replace one of the SD receivers with an HD-DVR and have be able to watch recorded shows from any of the HD capable receivers.

What is it that I need and what is it going to cost me both for installation and for additional monthly fees?

Thanks for you help!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,335 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

What models are the HD receiver and the SD receivers? How many cables are coming out of your dish, or if you go into your setup, do you have SWM?

#3 OFFLINE   richart53

richart53

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:22 PM

I have the following receivers:
HR23-700
H21-200
D12-100
D12-100
It is a single dish with a single coax cable that goes to some type of box that looks sort of like a splitter. From there it uses my existing coaxial cable to each receiver. There is some type of power injector connected inside next to the HR23-700 receiver.

#4 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:52 PM

1. you only have 2 recievers that will work..
2. a deca will be needed at each reciever..
problably better to just call directv.. they may even upgrade your 2 D12s for free..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#5 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:39 PM

You already have a SWM install so they won't need to change out your dish or any of your wiring. Your HR23 and H21 will work with DECA adapters attached to them. DirecTV will replace one of your D12s with an new HD-DVR and DECA if needed. You other D12 will remain hooked up but won't be able to access the recordings from your other HD-DVRs, the H21 will be able to watch the recordings.

So it sounds like you will need
HR2x HD-DVR
2 DECA adapters
Band Stop filter for the D12
Broadband DECA adapter (assuming you still want access to Apps and On-Demand)
Possibly a new green labeled splitter and band stop filter for the LNB

This theoretically could cost you up to $450 ($200 for HD-DVR, $200 for Whole Home, $50 for install). Most likely you should be able to get a better deal on that though, especially considering you will have to agree to another 2 years of service because you are adding a new HD-DVR.

All we can say is call and find out what kind of deal they will give you.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...