Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

People complain

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
88 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scsa1000

scsa1000

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:04 AM

I have seen people say direct tv commercials lie a lot well so does Dish anyone see the Hd tv ones saying Dish is the leader in Hd when it's not at all. Being the leader maybe in basic yeah not the leader in Hd at all though that title goes to direct all the way. Just found that funny. Such a lying commercials they have. Oh and a question is max go iPod app coming today I read on the hd hope thread about it.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:14 AM

I have seen people say direct tv commercials lie a lot well so does Dish anyone see the Hd tv ones saying Dish is the leader in Hd when it's not at all. Being the leader maybe in basic yeah not the leader in Hd at all though that title goes to direct all the way. Just found that funny. Such a lying commercials they have. Oh and a question is max go iPod app coming today I read on the hd hope thread about it.

So what exactly is your point? People on a DirecTV forum should feel free to talk about a DTV commercial. Pointing out that Dish does it too is hardly germane to the original point, is it?

Lots of people lie in advertisements. Doesn't make it right. I pretty much ignore all of them except the funny, clever ones. Geico always gets a listen from me, but I have never even considered buying their insurance. As far as I am concerned, ads are to entertain me, and if they don't, I don't listen or watch. They certainly aren't effective at educating or informing me.

#3 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:36 AM

When has DirecTV lied in a commercial?
DTV = Digital Television

#4 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:51 AM

Define "lied."

#5 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:57 AM

I have seen people say direct tv commercials lie a lot well so does Dish.

Most commercials are designed in such a way that they tell you the truth, but do not tell you how much you have to pay for that.

Example: Car commercials. Model shown is the "DeLuxe-Loaded" model of $41,995. And the commercial says that you can get that BMW for as little as $25,995!

And of course they don't tell you how many of the $25,995 BMW's they actually have in stock, which WAS usually 1 or 2...... But now that you have shown up to the dealership, they get you to buy the $32,995 model instead with a lower interest rate so the monthly payments are only $40 more a month then the $25,995 one..... and you think you walked away with a deal, and they are laughing to the bank.

It's the way commercials work. They ALL tell mostly the truth.... but they twist it in such a way it makes you think you get a LOT for a LITTLE, while in fact you have to pay a LOT to get the LITTLE.

Oh, the wonderful world of un-regulated capitalism. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#6 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:02 AM

Commercials are "legalized" to make sure there aren't any lies. Just twisted truths. :D

They have, however, lied in their corporate statements. Such as the one in 2007 where they said they would add a number of HBO and Cinemax channels in HD "in the remainder of the year".

Unless of course, a DirecTV year lasts FOUR years to 2011, that could be defined as a "lie". It is after all, not known to us if they actually had the intention to roll out those channels in 2007, instead of in 2011.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#7 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:16 AM

Commercials are "legalized" to make sure there aren't any lies. Just twisted truths. :D

They have, however, lied in their corporate statements. Such as the one in 2007 where they said they would add a number of HBO and Cinemax channels in HD "in the remainder of the year".

Unless of course, a DirecTV year lasts FOUR years to 2011, that could be defined as a "lie". It is after all, not known to us if they actually had the intention to roll out those channels in 2007, instead of in 2011.

That was not a lie.

Well, there's a reason. For example, some people here are pulling press releases out from 3 years ago about HBO HD not being launched and claiming that D* lied (when of course facts came out later in the NY Times, LA Times, etc that HBO and D* had been without a contract the last few years and that was the real reason).

Therefore, I choose not to put anything here in terms of dates because, to be frank, it's a very complicated industry where dates come and go for any number or reasons. So I'll repeat, more HD is coming but dates will be TBD. Sorry guys, just the way it is, but more HD is coming.

DTV = Digital Television

#8 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:17 AM

Define "lied."

I think you know the definition. Provide an example of a commercial that was a lie.
DTV = Digital Television

#9 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:20 AM

That was not a lie.

I'm getting dizzy from all the spinning. DirecTV made an announcement they clearly had no business making. It was a lie, period.

#10 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:26 AM

What was a lie? Example?

DirecTV made an announcement indicating a very specific timeframe in which a group of channels would launch that they didn't even have a contract for.

#11 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:31 AM

I'm getting dizzy from all the spinning. DirecTV made an announcement they clearly had no business making. It was a lie, period.

The HBO announcement? How in the world can you even begin to suggest that it was a lie? That is beyond ludicrous. They made an announcement based on what their plans were. Those plans changed. They were never able to finalize an agreement with HBO. It's no different than any other agreement that falls through at the final moment. It happens. It's not a lie.
DTV = Digital Television

#12 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

DirecTV made an announcement indicating a very specific timeframe in which a group of channels would launch that they didn't even have a contract for.

A very specific timeframe? They were planning on adding them within a six month span of time. Plans changed and they were unable to do it. If you don't understand that, you don't understand business.
DTV = Digital Television

#13 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

They made an announcement based on what their plans were.

Well then the announcement should have indicated that. It's not like a satellite blew up. They were making an announcement that was contingent upon an agreement that was still under negotiation. Most of the time, if a company makes an announcement like that, they will include some sort of disclaimer that negotiations still haven't been completed, and so nothing is final yet. The announcement DirecTV made had no such language, and even when they missed the timeframe they decided to ignore it instead of say something. Liar liar, pants on fire.

#14 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:36 AM

A very specific timeframe? They were planning on adding them within a six month span of time.

That's a very specific timeframe. They didn't say "in the future" or "soon" or "in the next few years."

#15 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

Well then the announcement should have indicated that. It's not like a satellite blew up. They were making an announcement that was contingent upon an agreement that was still under negotiation. Most of the time, if a company makes an announcement like that, they will include some sort of disclaimer that negotiations still haven't been completed, and so nothing is final yet. The announcement DirecTV made had no such language, and even when they missed the timeframe they decided to ignore it instead of say something. Liar liar, pants on fire.

...right...because the deal fell through and plans therefore had to change. That is not a lie.
DTV = Digital Television

#16 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:13 PM

...right...because the deal fell through and plans therefore had to change. That is not a lie.

Omission of key information is a form of lying, and you cannot argue that information wasn't omitted from the announcement. So they lied.

#17 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:21 PM

Not a lie at all. Those corporate statements are subject to agreements and those agreements fell through at the 11th hour.

I think some people really need to define a lie because it is clear some folks here do not understand the definition.

It is INTENTIONALLY to deceive. Do folks really believe D* said they would launch a bunch of HBO channels only to not do it and were lying purposely?

Come on guys. This is a great board for information but some of this stuff really has to stop. I'm envisioning a bunch of corp execs sitting around a table saying "hey, let's put out a press release saying we are going to launch some channels we really aren't...let's lie to them because that always goes over really well with customers". We need a sarcasm icon here but there was plenty of it with that response for a reason.

Unfortunately in the world of negotiations, things can change at the 11th hour. Look at the debt ceiling debate in Congress. Two weekends ago they had a deal, then they didn't. Were they lying? Or did the deal fall apart because the asks of one side changed. These are the realities with these things and unfortunately it was thought that those channels would launch but things changed after the release. Unfortunate, but absolutely not a lie.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#18 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:24 PM

Omission of key information is a form of lying, and you cannot argue that information wasn't omitted from the announcement. So they lied.

Wrong again. Jeremy, just cut your loses. You're latching onto an announcement from four years ago. That deal fell through. It happens. It was not a lie. It's a press release. No guarantees were ever made.
DTV = Digital Television

#19 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:25 PM

I really need to take a vacation from here....my blood pressure doesn't do well when I see things like this. You are trying to determine someone's intent and stating that someone lied on a press release....I can assure you that your inference is incorrect.

Guess what, sometimes in this industry channels are launched without contracts but because sufficient progress has been made toward resolution. Sometimes they aren't. It's unfortunate that one went the direction it did.

Really guys, some of the accusations are a bit out of control...they really are. There are a ton of really good people at D* working hard to make it a great product and lying isn't in their DNA.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#20 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:35 PM

DIRECTV is often so conservative in their announcements that we have been dealing with stuff @ DBSTalk for nearly a year before DIRECTV acknowledges it (MRV springs to mind ;)).

Fortunately, most of what DIRECTV actually says is ultimately true. There are plenty of companies out there that make announcements on intentions only to have things change which make those announcements "lies." There simply aren't that many examples from DIRECTV.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...