Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Spotbeam Satellite Transponder Map

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:29 AM

OVERVIEW:
I have created a set of Excel Worksheets to correlate which Spotbeam is broadcasting into each DMA LIL (Local Into Local) market.

There is a large amount of data that went into creating this project; it may seem overwhelming at first glance but I wanted to explain the process so it can be useful to all in a number of ways.

One might reasonably ask, “Why?” Or “Who cares?” I'll address this first. As the HD LIL rollout is finishing its 6th year, with more than 50 DMA's still awaiting HD locals, I see many questions:

1. Why aren’t channels available in my market?
2. If I have some channels, why not all?

The larger answer has to do with contract negotiations, delivery systems and ground infrastructure to accommodate 210 DMA's and in excess of 2500 distinct channels. I am attempting to shed light on what physical bandwidth limitations from the available satellites may be part of the limitations.

Another burning question is that some larger western DMA's HD LIL's were available then "turned off", reportedly because the entire zip code area of that DMA wasn't able to be serviced by the applicable spotbeam. This may be a topic to explore further, but I need some outside help to search and document specific events.

Some of this data comes from assumptions: I'll try to explain where possible. But most data comes from sources within DBSTalk and from references to public FCC documents.

THE TPN MAPS
My saga starts with the Transponder Map data that is found here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=194886

I've been fortunate to work for almost 2 years on this project and understanding the AGP/PID data stream got me to asking more questions, such as those above.

I have also been interested in LIL markets and channels ever since Detroit came online 10/2005 and followed newshawk's/bamaweather's thread here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=180503

BEAM FOOTPRINT MAPS
The spotbeam Google Earth maps were amazing and the recent update to the interactive format allowed me to manipulate the information to find patterns. Those spotbeams are here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=194072

ANTENNA AND BEAM MAPS
So I thought, why not try to put them all together!

After a long study of the FCC documents and reviewing the data I was already collecting, I realized that the 49 spot beams of D10/12 and D11 had a set pattern of:

Antenna 1 = TPNs 16/19/20 Beams B1 to BC
Antenna 2 = TPNs 15/23/24 Beams B1 to BD
Antenna 3 = TPNs 17/18 Beams B1 to BB
Antenna 4 = TPNs 21/22 Beams B1 to BD

This is outlined well in The FCC document Exhibit 43 of D10's LOA and Grant:
http://licensing.fcc...ling_key=-73819

I then sorted my data by TPN, then DMA and cross referenced each Spotbeam (I numbered the beams 1-13 (as opposed to the hex #'s B1 to BD) and created a set of 8 worksheets: (4 Antenna worksheets for D10/12 and 4 Antenna worksheets for D11) each correlating DMA/channels to Spotbeams A*B1 to A*BD.

We do not have a full set of spotbeams for D-11 because the FCC file size limitations at the time of D10 and D11 FCC filings. A key was to recognize that D12 and D10 were almost identical and the full set of beam data was available from D12's LOA/Grant:
http://licensing.fcc...ing_key=-173039

We have corresponding beams A1B1, A1B7 and A1B9 from D12 and D11. Mapping the D11 beams, they line up 200 miles northeast of the D12 corresponding beams. I assume this to be true for all 49 beams. I confirmed that the D12 A4B5 Jackson, MS beam moved 200 miles Northeast covered my DMA, Birmingham, AL and indeed 99S TPNs 21 and 22 are my highest spotbeams, giving apparent validation to my assumptions.

We can get an idea regarding capacity and local area availability of LIL channel space. Our approach does not assume any "hold back" for redundancy, assuming 110 TPNs are available to each slot (99W and 103W). The technical data in Exhibit 43 maps 6 uplink sites. Site 1 is the Los Angeles Broadcast Center (LABC) and has one LIL uplink set.

The other sites S2 to S6 have two uplinks sets (national channels not repeated). Site 2 is Castle Rock, CO (CRBC). Sites 3, 4, 5 and 6 in no particular order are NEUF, MWUF, SWUF and NWUF. Thus there are a total of 11 reproductions of the 10 spot TPNs available for 110 total LIL TPNs per orbital slot. They are allocated three (3) TPNs per beam on Antennas 1 and 2 and two (2) TPNs per beam on Antennas 3 and 4. Not all 49 beams can be active at one time. The theoretical maximum is 123 TPNs. Technically only 105 are listed on the schedule S technical data report but I see no reason that 110 is not the true maximum.

Looking at the spotbeam set one can see that the Havana, New Orleans (actually centered in the Gulf) and Marfa, TX beams can easily be skipped since they don't correspond to populated areas. Several other beams can fall out as well.

Spaceway Satellites
I have begun an initial attempt to understand the Spaceway satellites but the "infinite" variability of the 1500 element phased array antenna makes exact projections difficult. Review the Spaceway technical data, Exhibit D here:
http://licensing.fcc...ling_key=-69307

I found the Spaceway satellites are capable of any combination of up to 24 spotbeams. The D12 utilization of the A band for 16 Conus TPNs on 103 has reduced the LIL bandwidth to 6 (3 sets of R/L) TPNs. Assumed to be wider that D*'s 36 MHz Maybe 62.5 MHz, or to correctly fit into remaining bandwidth, some combination between 36 MHz and 62.5 MHz. Beam size is a minimum of 0.5 degrees and is adjustable in 0.5 degree increments. Quick geometry gives a 0.5 degree beam 22,236 miles above the earth’s surface a diameter of approximately 200 miles. This seems a comfortable fit with the spacing I assumed.

The Results

So here it is!
I have provided a document of 10 excel sheets: 4 forD10/12, 4 for D11 and one each for SW-1 and SW-2. I have placed a couple of rough outlines of what SW spotbeams probably look like.

The lookup process is the same as that used for the TPN Map data:

DMAs are identified by their DIRECTV NETWORK numbers, ranging from 512 to 723.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=194886

In the TPN Domestic Map, LIL Market List Page, note DIRECTV NETWORK (NET) number. The LIL TPN map will tell you which Satellite your SD and HD (if available) channels are on.

Scroll through the worksheet to find the Satellite and Antenna as appropriate. (This is dictated by TPN as noted above). The spotbeam will be given in the Beam column and you can look up the interactive Spotbeam reference.

Download the appropriate GoogleEarth Beam Footprint display. You of course must have the GoogleEarth application installed. Not all D11 spots available. Use corresponding D12 files and remember that D11 beams are centered approximately 200 miles to the northeast.

The naming convention is A*B*, where A* is Antenna # (1 to 4) and B* is Beam # (1 to 13 in Hexadecimal format 1 to D). The total range is A1B1 to A4BD.

My disclaimer is that I am not a communications scientist. I am open to all comments and hope this information will encourage dialog to help us understand more of the DIRECTV Satellite System we enjoy.

This Data is from 7/14/2011 Download.
The Spaceways are undergoing a LOT of re-balancing/market/transponder shifting. I'll update when shifts stabilize.

A great deal of thanks and inspiration goes to gct, psmith, newshawk, bamaweather, spears61 and all at DBSTalk!:)

Doctor J

Attached Thumbnails

• Spaceway1_Spotbeam.jpg
  • Spaceway2_Spotbeam.jpg
  • D10_12_vs_D11_Spotbeam.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by gct, 01 August 2011 - 05:38 PM.

• Gary Toma likes this

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:33 AM

Great stuff....thank you!
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#3 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,138 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:37 AM

Fantastic work! :up:

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#4 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:47 AM

A tremendous amount of effort, thank you so much for sharing.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#5 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,226 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:02 PM

Thank you for the great information! I am going to move this to the Tips & Resources Forum.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#6 OFFLINE   Paradox-sj

Paradox-sj

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:47 PM

Thank you...just what I was looking for.

#7 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:50 PM

Plan on update as soon as last 2011 LIL's put in the data stream.

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#8 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:16 PM

They recently lit up our locals, here in the Watertown DMA and was trying to figure out which transponders and which satellite that those signals were coming from. Our NBC is out of Rochester, NY and wondered if it was using the same spotbeam and satellite that the Watertown locals were using.

#9 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,220 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

They recently lit up our locals, here in the Watertown DMA and was trying to figure out which transponders and which satellite that those signals were coming from. Our NBC is out of Rochester, NY and wondered if it was using the same spotbeam and satellite that the Watertown locals were using.

According to gct's latest tansponder mapping info., the new Watertown DMA is assigned Network 711 and uses the SpaceWay 2 satellite at 99W, transponder 3 for all locals except for your NBC feed WHEC out of Rochester which is on either the D10 or D12 bird at 103W, transponder 22.

So no, your NBC outlet is not on the same transponder or even satellite as the other locals.

#10 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:12 PM

According to gct's latest tansponder mapping info., the new Watertown DMA is assigned Network 711 and uses the SpaceWay 2 satellite at 99W, transponder 3 for all locals except for your NBC feed WHEC out of Rochester which is on either the D10 or D12 bird at 103W, transponder 22.

So no, your NBC outlet is not on the same transponder or even satellite as the other locals.

Curious. Does anyone in the Rochester DMA receive the NBC subchannel ME-TV as part of their local channels, on Directv?

#11 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,220 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

Curious. Does anyone in the Rochester DMA receive the NBC subchannel ME-TV as part of their local channels, on Directv?

Not likely;

AFAIK, DIRECTV does not carry secondary DTV sub-channels unless they are used locally for network programming or in some cases PBS programming.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...