Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Suggestion: Specific place to post "Why I left, or Why I switched" posts

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:42 AM

Would really appreciate if there could be a specific place created for these "Why I left x" or "Why I switched" type posts. They serve no purpose other than to try and create a topic to discuss why one provider is better than another,etc.

I seriously don't understand why anyone would even make a post like this, unless they are still trying to justify the change they made to themselves. I equate these type of posts as being in the same league as if they posted "Why I went to the restroom this morning", or "Why I ate dinner this evening". They server no purpose whatsoever and deserve to be regulated to a specific place, much the same as there is already a place for those Lame "congrats on x # of posts" posts.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,092 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

They serve a purpose; they help some people see reviews of other services and how it compares to their own if they're looking to switch. Like any thread, you don't have to read it or participate.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:38 PM

They serve a purpose; they help some people see reviews of other services and how it compares to their own if they're looking to switch. Like any thread, you don't have to read it or participate.

+1

I have no hands on experience with Dish; therefore some of these post are very informative.

#4 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

Put them in their own forum so I don't even have to see them, if people want to read them, they can read them there. The DirecTV General forum should be free of DISH Network posts, as should the DISH Network General forum be free of DirecTV posts.

The General Satellite Discussion forum seems like the perfect place for these type of posts.

#5 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:48 PM

The object of discussion is to discuss .. People have reasons for switching, leaving, etc. and they wish to communicate those reasons. Nothing wrong with that. What good is shuttling them off to another location?
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:34 PM

I'm on the fence.

As Doug says... corralling topics that we "don't like" or think are "too frequent" is not something we would want to do I don't think... it is a slippery slope, because so many recurring topics could be classified that way. What about the "when will my provider get channel YYY?" topics? Basically any theme/topic that comes up regularly would need to be similarly corralled for consistency, and that would result in a very unfriendly forum.

That said...

Doug also notes that the point of a discussion forum is to discuss... and admittedly there are people who start a topic just to vent and they don't want an actual discussion. While not against forum rules, I never understand why someone would start a thread to vent and then be surprised when not everyone agrees.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:19 AM

That's a nature of one of kind human nature - extraverts, they need an audition to vent ...

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,113 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:01 AM

As long as people are respectful of the forum they are posting in and the site as a whole (people including those who are replying to the posts in question) I don't see a problem. I'd rather talk about the DBS services than the motivation of the people who post about them. Sometimes the "why I left" posts are good conversation starters ... not always, but every thread can't be a winner.

#9 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:21 AM

If you don't care for those type of threads it really doesn't take much effort to avoid them.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...