Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Be thankful that we are retaining channels, rather than losing them

reboot daily

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:46 PM

So you're switching providers now where you can get ESPN3D HD for free...right? ;)

If I cared that much about 3D, I would have stuck with DirecTV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:53 PM

Yuck...passive? It ain't worth it when you get half the resolution in return. Samsung or Panasonic plasma with active 3D for the win.

Yuck....active? Half the frame rate. Enjoy the judders during pans and fast moving scenes.

Active:
Causes judders due to half the frame rate
Causes nausea
Causes screen image to be darker
Glasses cost far too much
Have to charge batteries
Cannot fully lay on the couch (sofa) and watch active 3D (glasses must remain horizontal for 3D effect)

Bottom-line. Passive is the better technology. But it really doesn't matter, 3D with glasses is just a transitional technology.

#23 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,968 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:05 PM

Active:
Causes judders due to half the frame rate...I never have judder.
Causes nausea...in some people.
Causes screen image to be darker.....Adjusting tv settings makes this a non factor.
Glasses cost far too much...$50 is too much?
Have to charge batteries...Or replace them just like remotes.
Cannot fully lay on the couch (sofa) and watch active 3D (glasses must remain horizontal for 3D effect)...People lay sideways and watch movies? I'd say most kick back.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#24 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

Unless you're watching Blu-ray, the resolution is already cut in half.

Yes, but passive 3D reduces it yet again.
DTV = Digital Television

#25 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

Yes, but passive 3D reduces it yet again.

Only if the channel is broadcast in side-by-side format. If it's top-bottom, no resolution is lost.

#26 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:00 PM

Active:
Causes judders due to half the frame rate...I never have judder.
Causes nausea...in some people.
Causes screen image to be darker.....Adjusting tv settings makes this a non factor.
Glasses cost far too much...$50 is too much?
Have to charge batteries...Or replace them just like remotes.
Cannot fully lay on the couch (sofa) and watch active 3D (glasses must remain horizontal for 3D effect)...People lay sideways and watch movies? I'd say most kick back.

Yeah, I know the bullets are marginal at best. My point, both technologies have their issues. I'm still not fully sold on 3D. All I know is what I've seen. I've seen active, passive and glasses free 3D. Passive did not make me sick, the other two did. When watching passive on a 55" from 8', at no point did I think the video was soft. To me, active has more disadvantages than passive. Bottom-line, in a few years both will be a discontinued technology. On a side note, LG released info on their nano TV today. This passive TV will be the best HDTV of 2011. Mark my words. I will own this TV. :D

#27 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:04 PM

I'm still not fully sold on 3D.

You're not alone there.

#28 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:05 AM

If I cared that much about 3D, I would have stuck with DirecTV.

I get it, but I suspect if D* did this there would be a chorus of howling from some....wait, I don't suspect it...I know it.:(
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#29 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:39 AM

I get it, but I suspect if D* did this there would be a chorus of howling from some....wait, I don't suspect it...I know it.:(

If DirecTV were to drop it, then I'm sure you're right that they would face some undue criticism (just as they are receiving some undue praise at the moment). But, I think the "howling" would be a little more justified (at least for some) as they would be removing an HD channel from the entire HD subscriber base and therefore devaluing the service a little for those that were using it. .

AT&T chose to offer it as a unique service at a premium fee. Only those who subscribed to it are losing it AND they will no longer be charged for it so there is really no true loss of value other than it just becomes another channel not carried.

Granted we're talking about a 3D channel that only a small fraction of the subscribers can even access, but the principal still applies
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#30 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,419 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:52 AM

Yuck...passive? It ain't worth it when you get half the resolution in return. Samsung or Panasonic plasma with active 3D for the win.

Truer words have never been spoken, at least concerning 3D

Active:
Causes judders due to half the frame rate...I never have judder.Neither do I
Causes nausea...in some people.Not my wife or I. My neighbor who has a serious eye disease (forget which one)loves our 3D
Causes screen image to be darker.....Adjusting tv settings makes this a non factor.What sigma said, and professional calibration removes it from consideration
Glasses cost far too much...$50 is too much?True, but a one-time expense
Have to charge batteries...Or replace them just like remotes.Yep, and I bought a 100 @$.20 per from Amzon, and I've used a total of 5-6 in the ten months I've owned my Panny 3D
Cannot fully lay on the couch (sofa) and watch active 3D (glasses must remain horizontal for 3D effect)...People lay sideways and watch movies? I'd say most kick back.Vertical/Horizontal viewing angle has no effect whatsoever on my Panny 3D

Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#31 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:13 AM

By "some" do you mean all 6 customers with 3D? :lol: jk

#32 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:46 AM

Truer words have never been spoken, at least concerning 3D

Congrats, you both have a dying technology you’re happy with. :lol: I’ll soon own a dying technology too. :lol:

Have you seen passive 3D in person on a calibrated TV?

There’s more to Passive 3D than simply “half the resolution”. The image is simply broken into two groups. One eye sees lines 1,3,5,7 etc. The other eye sees lines 2,4,6,8 etc. So when your brain assembles the image you’re still seeing every line in the picture.

Quote from PC World: “your brain should be perceiving a 1080p image when it puts the two together.” Link

All I know, I've seen all three 3D technologies. Passive did not look soft to me. Maybe it’s along the same lines as active’s refresh rate. Some say they see judders, crosstalk and/or flicker issue with active. Some say they don’t. For me, passive looked great on a 55” from 8’. Zero flicker, zero crosstalk, zero judders. There’s far more to overall picture quality than simply lines of resolution.

#33 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,419 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:30 AM

Congrats, you both have a dying technology you’re happy with. :lol: I’ll soon own a dying technology too. :lol:

Have you seen passive 3D in person on a calibrated TV?

There’s more to Passive 3D than simply “half the resolution”. The image is simply broken into two groups. One eye sees lines 1,3,5,7 etc. The other eye sees lines 2,4,6,8 etc. So when your brain assembles the image you’re still seeing every line in the picture.

Quote from PC World: “your brain should be perceiving a 1080p image when it puts the two together.” Link

All I know, I've seen all three 3D technologies. Passive did not look soft to me. Maybe it’s along the same lines as active’s refresh rate. Some say they see judders, crosstalk and/or flicker issue with active. Some say they don’t. For me, passive looked great on a 55” from 8’. Zero flicker, zero crosstalk, zero judders. There’s far more to overall picture quality than simply lines of resolution.

How many "sweet" spots did the passive 3D that you saw provide? I've only read about passive 3D, and everything I've read has indicated 5-7 sweet spots.
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#34 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:45 AM

And I suspect/know there would be a chorus of support from some, because there always is.

#35 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,730 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:47 AM

But, I think the "howling" would be a little more justified (at least for some) as they would be removing an HD channel from the entire HD subscriber base and therefore devaluing the service a little for those that were using it. .

While the channel is available to all, only a relative few have a chance at viewing it as intended.

While sporting events are cool in 3D, sporting events as a class of programming aren't particularly durable when it comes to watching them after the fact or, as the ESPN 3D schedule is dominated, in rerun after rerun.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#36 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:48 AM

It seems to me this is turning into a discussion of 3D. Let's stay to the original topic or start a new one that is appropriately named. Thanks.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#37 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:53 AM

It seems to me this is turning into a discussion of 3D. Let's stay to the original topic or start a new one that is appropriately named. Thanks.

What is the original topic, really? It's just a thinly veiled attempt at keeping this in the "DirecTV Programming" forum, where it ultimately doesn't belong because it has nothing to do with DirecTV in the first place.

#38 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:56 AM

What is the original topic, really? It's just a thinly veiled attempt at keeping this in the "DirecTV Programming" forum, where it ultimately doesn't belong because it has nothing to do with DirecTV in the first place.

QFT

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#39 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:40 AM

While the channel is available to all, only a relative few have a chance at viewing it as intended.

While sporting events are cool in 3D, sporting events as a class of programming aren't particularly durable when it comes to watching them after the fact or, as the ESPN 3D schedule is dominated, in rerun after rerun.

That's what I said:

Granted we're talking about a 3D channel that only a small fraction of the subscribers can even access, but the principal still applies

HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#40 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:58 AM

The point is, DirecTV retains numerous channels each year while dropping very few. The grass is greener right where we are in this case.
DTV = Digital Television

Protected By... spam firewall...And...