Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Be thankful that we are retaining channels, rather than losing them

reboot daily

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:04 AM

Dude. You have to go way back there to find an example?

Although it isn't a channel I would miss, he does have a valid point. DirecTV, just like ANY OTHER provider, has dropped channels. Some have been dropped and then regained (such as Versus), others have been dropped permanently (such as G4).

It was less then a year ago by the way, the loss of G4.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:12 AM

The point is, DirecTV retains numerous channels each year while dropping very few. The grass is greener right where we are in this case.

I think a statement like that needs some supporting data.
To my knowledge, ESPN3D is the first channel AT&T has permanently dropped since they came online here more than 3 years ago.

Given the current disparity in the basic HD lineups, I think it depends on what sort of programming your looking for. If sports is your bag, then sure the grass is a little greener, but in terms of basic HD channels, DirecTV has one of the worst lawns on the block.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#43 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:13 AM

You're not alone there.

I don't think many people are running out to get 3D TV's for the 3D. I do however believe, that 3D will become a "standard feature" on all TV's within the next 2 years, with the exception maybe of the models cheaper then $500 or so. Just like most decent TV's now come with a USB port to play video from a harddrive, have built-in ethernet ports, built-in dolby surround, etc.... you buy a new TV because you happen to need a new TV, and it just happens to come with 3D as well. It's simply one of those features that doesn't cost a LOT extra (in the long run, mass production).

Regarding AT&T, even if you happen to have a TV that has 3D... I don't see people spending $10 a month just to have the 1 3D channel U-verse used to carry. It's one of those things that if you have a 3D TV, you don't want to spend $10 on HD, PLUS another $10 for 3D. It should be rolled into the HD access, like DirecTV. (where you can forego on the $10 a month with auto-bill-pay, so it essentially becomes "free".)

With regards to 3D, I did look on the DirecTV site, and just happen to notice this:

"Is DIRECTV working with programmers to develop new 3D content?

Yes, DIRECTV is currently working with a number of studios and programmers to develop additional 3D programming that will debut in 2011."

So we can expect more 3D before the end of the year.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#44 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:24 AM

I think a statement like that needs some supporting data.

What type of data would you like to see? We already know how many retrans deals they complete compared to how many channels they drop.
DTV = Digital Television

#45 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:43 AM

It really is not taking off very quickly, is it?

3D won't last 4 years.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#46 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:01 PM

The point is, DirecTV retains numerous channels each year while dropping very few.

Every provider retains far more channels than they drop.

The grass is greener right where we are in this case.

In the time U-verse has been around, DirecTV has dropped the same number of channels U-verse has. Although the U-verse customers who lost the channel they subscribed to saw their bill go down $10. When DirecTV dropped G4, nobody's bill went down.

The grass certainly isn't any greener on DirecTV's side.

#47 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

G4 shot themselves in the foot, their efforts to rally their "loyal" viewers failed because whatever loyal viewers they once had already stopped watching when they fired most of the tech tv personalities and replaced video game and tech programming with "Cops 2.0"

The channel is going under anyway since it's likely going to be purchased by UFC, which will bring it back to D*.

Another example:
Trio -> A few months later NBC Universal pulled the plug and used the transponder space to launch Sleuth. And by the time D* dropped the channel NBC Universal really didn't know what they were going to do with it so they didn't renew the contract. (It was originally the American outlet for CBC programming, but by then it was just random cancelled shows from the NBC Universal library)

As for ESPN 3D, AT&T picked the worst time to drop the channel. The X Games, upcoming College Football, etc. Most of the summer is really the slow season for ESPN, it's late summer and fall when the coverage picks up.

Maybe they looked at the subscription pattern and found that most people paying for it only had it for a short period of time rather than for the long term.

IOWs sub for a particular sport or event and then drop it.

Look at it this way, for all those calling for Ala Carte, here was a Ala carte channel that failed. If it were not Ala Carte and was part of a sports channels bundle it would most likely still be on.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#48 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:36 PM

Truer words have never been spoken, at least concerning 3D

Yes, the pros and cons to each tech are clear now. One is clearly better than the other. Even those within the industry are calling LG out on it.

Keeping channels instead of dropping them is a good thing and something DirecTV has been very successful at.
DTV = Digital Television

#49 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:57 PM

The point is, DirecTV retains numerous channels each year while dropping very few. The grass is greener right where we are in this case.

What type of data would you like to see? We already know how many retrans deals they complete compared to how many channels they drop.

The second part of the original statement "the grass is greener..." means that directv's performance in "retention vs. drops" is better than all the other providers. I would just like to see some data, total drops per year by carrier for a time period, etc. to support that. It may very well be true, but I have been carefully watching U-Verse over the last 3 years in this area and ESPN3D is the only channel I know of that they have dropped altogether.
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#50 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

The second part of the original statement "the grass is greener..." means that directv's performance in "retention vs. drops" is better than all the other providers. I would just like to see some data, total drops per year by carrier for a time period, etc. to support that. It may very well be true, but I have been carefully watching U-Verse over the last 3 years in this area and ESPN3D is the only channel I know of that they have dropped altogether.

You need me to point out why the grass is greener with DirecTV when compared to U-Verse? Yikes...
DTV = Digital Television

#51 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:37 PM

You need me to point out why the grass is greener with DirecTV when compared to U-Verse? Yikes...

You are stating that DirecTV has a better track record with respect to dropping HD channels than UVerse and I would just like to understand what that claim is based on.
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#52 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

Yes, the pros and cons to each tech are clear now. One is clearly better than the other. Even those within the industry are calling LG out on it.

Keeping channels instead of dropping them is a good thing and something DirecTV has been very successful at.

"within the industry" = Competitors :lol:

I hope you didn't expect the competitors to congratulate the opposition. :rolleyes:

FYI - LG is not the only passive manufacturer, just the best. ;)

#53 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:09 PM

I hope you didn't expect the competitors to congratulate the opposition. :rolleyes:

I was referring to this: http://gizmodo.com/5...nsult-lgs-3dtvs

I'm not sure I would label LG as the best. It would be pretty embarrassing to be the best at doing something poorly.
DTV = Digital Television

#54 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,915 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:25 PM

I think you mean this article: http://gizmodo.com/5...nd-passive-3dtv

After a trial of active shutter TVs, LG's obviously persisting with passive 3DTV over the more superior 3D format which is what Samsung and the other manufacturers have rightly adopted, a move which caused Samsung to brand LG "stupid ****s" when referring to their 3DTVs in April.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#55 OFFLINE   moob

moob

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

I was referring to this: http://gizmodo.com/5...nsult-lgs-3dtvs

I'm not sure I would label LG as the best. It would be pretty embarrassing to be the best at doing something poorly.

Eh. I'll just say this...I don't own a 3D set, and I have no plans to get one in the near future. It still seems a bit gimmicky to me and there just isn't that much content. But I've seen every variant of 3D at CES over the years. Obviously glasses-less is the worst, but that's still in its infancy. This past year, LG demoed a passive "84" Ultra Definition 3D TV" and it was by far the best/cleanest looking 3D I've ever seen, and their other passive sets looked good as well (though not as good as that one). But that's just me.

As far as I'm concerned, for all intents and purposes, it's a matter of subtraction by omission. No, DirecTV may not have dropped that many channels, but not having them in HD is just about the same to me. I don't watch AMC or BBCA on DirecTV because they're not in HD, much like I didn't watch G4 much when they had the channel. I'm not going to watch D*'s god-awful SD, and there are many other ways to get content in HD. They could remove those SD channels today and I wouldn't care.

#56 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:27 PM

What is permanent?

The provider will usually mention why they're dropping the channel. If it's a contract issue that is ongoing, they'll say that, and everyone expects it to eventually be worked out. In the cases of ESPN3D and G4, the reasoning was low demand. Totally different.

#57 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:31 PM

The provider will usually mention why they're dropping the channel. If it's a contract issue that is ongoing, they'll say that, and everyone expects it to eventually be worked out. In the cases of ESPN3D and G4, the reasoning was low demand. Totally different.

The issue with ESPN3D was ultimately cost.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#58 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:59 PM

The issue with ESPN3D was ultimately cost.

Right, since DirecTV is pushing 3D harder than any other provider, we can't say anything that might indicate there isn't a huge demand for 3D.

#59 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:30 AM

U-Verse does have free Starz HD 3d on demand. Cant find that on my directv hmmmmmmmmmmmm

#60 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:57 AM

What is permanent? Who is to say G4 doesn't come back on D* in the next year. U-Verse has dropped Food Network, Cooking Channel, HGTV, Hallmark Channel, Hallmark Movie Channel, DIY, etc in the last 24 months....they added them back. Channels come and go and there's nothing to suggest when some of the same channels cycle off their contract on AT&T that D* let go won't happen with others as well.

How does that make the grass "Greener" at DirecTV? That sounds like "they have the same shade of grass". To make a statement that one is better than the other in a very specific area, I think there should just be some data to back it up.
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

spam firewall