Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Two older receivers Question?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cdace

Cdace

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

I have two older receivers and am checking to see if they will work.
1) Is a GAEBOA model (bought online)
2) Is a really old DTC-100 (got free)
My guess is that #1 will work and 2 probably will not. Also is there anything else I need to get #1 to work (it has a cable card already)?.
I have an HR24-500 but am not hooked up for whole home, though it does have a SWM box.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Raidertank

Raidertank

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:50 PM

neither of these receivers will work with the SWM install you will need d12's or higher
The comments that I present here are MY OWN. They do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:16 PM

It's been DirecTv's policy for a little while now not to (re)-activate non-rid receivers on an account other than the original one. Basicly, both boxes are now just doorstops.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#4 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:31 PM

The Hughes will work with the present DirecTV system (I have my original Hughes HIRD-2 still active which is OLDER than the one you bought). But there are two problems, one of which was already mentioned.

The older boxes will not work with the SWM format. RUMOR has it that DirecTV won't activate receivers that do not have an RID (Receiver ID number) unless they were previously active on the same account, but they might let you activate it on your account for $20 which is the cost of a new access card. They DEFINITELY won't let you active it with the card that came with it since it was never on your account.

If you want to play around with it, it will probably receive channel 100 if it is connected to a compatible dish and it still has it's original access card.

Just out of curiosity, since you have HD and probably didn't get it that long ago, why don't you just add a leased SD receiver from DirecTV? It will only extend your commitment back to 2 years and it would actually cost you less money since the access card is included and so is installation.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Protected By... spam firewall...And...