Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My barely used Acutrac 22 Pro screen is blank

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:38 PM

Puchased an Acutrac 22 pro in April of 2010. homeowner use. I have only had it out a couple of times. I took it my brother's yesterday to assist with his switching to a 1000.4 EA dish. It had not charged enough so I left it there to charge overnight. Got there this afternoon and the screen does not work! Grrrr. I know it is charged and functioning because I can get the sound toggle to turn on and off. But I am very frustrated the screen is totally blank. I guess I will call perfect 10 tomorrow and ask them.......

Other ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:21 PM

Assuming you get no help from manufacturer and want to repair yourself. Was the screen working when you charged it?

Disconnect battery first.! Also this could apply to any device with a screen like this or even your LCD/Plasma TV.

Most likely it is the connection for the screen cable is loose or dirty at the connector. This is a plastic film type cable with the connections on one side. These connections become loose so simply loosen clean off and push it back in. You always have to be careful disconnecting them because they have some kind of locking mechanism that holds the film cable in place. The connector on mine you have to pull the brown colored latch from the sides to make it loose, it will stay hooked to the connector on the board. When the cable is fully pushed in then push the brown latch back in to hold it. It should not pull out with a slight tug. Some connections like this have a latch that spans over the film cable that you lift up to free the cable and push back down when done.

This applies to the Acutrac 22 MKII Pro, just not sure about other models. You will find the screws under the label on the acutrac in the same place as the ones in the back. Just pull the sticker label back until you see the screws, no need to remove whole sticker. When you get the top side open there is a plastic piece that holds the buttons and protects the actual screen. You are going to have to lift the foam the screen is mounted on from the circuit board side and reglue somehow when you are done. This will make it easier to get to the plug. The plastic piece that holds the screen should hold it in place when you put back together though.

#3 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

Mine is not a MKII, so its not officially battery replaceable. But, I did open it up and disconnect the battery and reconect it. No difference.
Only problem is on the non-MKII, the little red and yellow rubber buttons come off easily and have to be repositioned when you reassemble it. Could be easily lost.

Yes the screen was working last night when I attached the charger.
I have a mind to just send it back to them. If they repair or replace it, fine. If not, it's their brick to play with.

#4 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:58 PM

I was going under the assumption its not under warranty or advice in general for this kind of problem even on a $600 meter. The point of disco battery was you dont want to work on something that has power source unless necessary. Then again its a troubleshooting step in itself.

#5 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:45 PM

Weird - just as I was about to give up on it, the screen has suddenly started working again. It's been in my office all day still dysfunctional. I turned it on again just now - nothing on the screen. Turned it off, turned it on again and suddenly the screen is working. Who knows? I did have a last gasp theory that perhaps the battery was a hair overcharged and the screen could not handle it until the voltage bled off a little. But who know the real cause.....

Edited by tkrandall, 02 August 2011 - 02:05 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:44 PM

Its working intermittent because its probably just a loose connection somewhere, my thoughts was simply the screen cable. When the screen is on and working try hitting around the device to see if it cuts out. There is also a board that connects the power board to main board and could be loose there, possible one side is looser than other. Regarding the over charge idea, modern electronics have many layers of regulators and protection parts so that is unlikely. Charging circuit is probably isolated from the circuits that make up the rest of the meter.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,706 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:24 PM

I would dismantle it, start measuring conductivity, voltages, look for signals with o-scope ...

spam firewall